Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

My husband is a consultant, and we receive income from a wide variety of sources.  Many just show up in the bank statement at Mobile Deposit or "WireXXX".  In QWin it's easy to go through these one at a time and enter the correct payee and other relevant info such as Invoice number.  I just didn't see an easy way to do this using the new MAC version, at least not in a way that I could be sure I didn't miss any.  

I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I had too many problems maintaining Parallels and Windows, so I actually have a cheap Windows laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!  

And to be clear to deflect the Quicken-Corp-Fake-News-Department: This functionality has existed in Quicken for the Mac (Q2007), and it is the reason I still struggle to keep that version alive. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

My husband is a consultant, and we receive income from a wide variety of sources.  Many just show up in the bank statement at Mobile Deposit or "WireXXX".  In QWin it's easy to go through these one at a time and enter the correct payee and other relevant info such as Invoice number.  I just didn't see an easy way to do this using the new MAC version, at least not in a way that I could be sure I didn't miss any.  

I have decided to go back to Windows. This, and a number of other reasons made it impossible for me to use the Mac version.  And I was so looking forward to that now that it is available in Canada.  I had too many problems maintaining Parallels and Windows, so I actually have a cheap Windows laptop on my desk just for Quicken.  Everything else I do is on my Mac! Let's hope Quicken Inc can make the updates to the Mac version soon!  

Mira,

A simple way to handle that in QMac is to make sure the Status column is showing (menu View > Columns > Status, indicated by a black dot in the column header). There will be an icon (either a blue dot or blue pencil) in that column for each incoming transaction. Just go through the transactions one at a time as you did before, and as you finish with each one, click the icon and Reviewed. The icon will disappear. You will know you've done them all when the Status column is blank.

If you want to see only those transactions that you have not yet dealt with, then click the Any Status button at the top and choose Not Reviewed to see only transactions that you have not marked as Reviewed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Mira, I'm also a consultant and have a lot of entries that say "Mobile Deposit" or "ATM Deposit." I type the client's name into the Memo/Notes field. You could also enter the invoice number there if you like.

I've trained QM2017 to assign the category "Consulting Income (Business)" to mobile and ATM deposits. Should the deposit not be from business income, I change the category manually.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

We all know there are work a rounds for most of the short comings in QM 2015-2018.  The point is having to work around processes that were once an integral part of the QM family and is available in the Windows environment.

For one, I don't understand why doing this in QM is so terrible difficult.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

Steven, I did not present that to Mira as a workaround but as an alternative workflow that may work just fine for her.

For me, I find that workflow more streamlined and simpler than having a separate download acceptance window.

I understand that others have a different opinion and I don't mind it getting implemented (as long as it does not become mandatory). 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

I really don't want to get into semantics but your work flow doesn't work,  I started with QM2015 and upgraded every year and had issues with this from the very beginning. 

However,when I upgraded to QM2017 is when the fun really started, I have since gone subscription and now use 2018 with no improvement with accuracy and ease of matching transactions whether I manually enter and download or not.
    I have some match transactions automatically cleared and renewed by themselves, some cleared and not reviewed and others that duplicate learned transactions with some reviewed and some not.  i also have recurring transactions that no longer match but are overwritten  "bills" and only show downloaded and don't indicate that they are cleared.  I also have reconciled transactions that still show not reviewed.  On an average download done once a week I spend 10-15 minutes fixing all of the mismatches, cleared not cleared and reviewed not reviewed.

Again, I consider your work flow a work around.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

The workflow works for me. I understand it may not work for you.

However, you seem to have many problems that are not going to be fixed by a separate download acceptance workflow. Transactions that get marked reviewed without your intervention, and transactions that download and are not marked as cleared... these should never happen.

Personally, I manually enter most everything before downloading, taking advantage of autofill to make it easy. I rarely have a mismatch when I download, and if I do, it's usually a no-match and points to something I entered wrong or didn't enter at all.
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

The Mac version is not as efficient as the Windows version. It takes much mote time to sort out the various issues created by the Mac version, especially reconciling a paper statement.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Rick O, I usually enter all of my transactions too.  However, as noted in my previous comment my QM2018 isn't working as you suggest.  Regardless of these problems the program should never clear a transaction without my approval unless the transaction matched one that I entered.

I have notified Technical support of the odd behavior and I haven't heard back.  Guess I need to call them.  With that said I know their answer, my files are corrupted and I'll need to start over.  There used to be a method for QM2007 would review the file and correct errors it detected so you don't loose 10 years of bank and investment data.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

While never having the Q2007 experience I did experience  QW , ; QW allowed for the review prior to acceptance into the register. Agree QM does not support this so the work around offered by RickO is the way to proceed at this time.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

Steven, Keeping in mind that we are getting off topic of this IDEA thread, for the issues you are having where Quicken isn't working correctly within it's current design, I suggest you start a new PROBLEM post so that community members might be able to help you troubleshoot. Click the NEW POST button at the top. Make sure to check the boxes for "Migrating Quicken Files - Mac" and "Other Questions - Mac" and repeat the versions of Quicken and macOS you are using. Provide as much detail of specific failures as possible, including screenshots if at all possible.
  • Mira Shnier
    Mira Shnier Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

RickO, I like your idea, and may give QMac another look in the future.  However, that was not the only issue that I have.  The other biggie for me is the inability to link transactions in multiple currencies.  Also, the way to update security prices is also severely lacking in QMac compared to doing it in the register in QWin.  (And yes, I have updated the requests and voted for those functions in their appropriate threads.) 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Rick O, actually I'm not really off topic because everyone of these issues is related to the inability to review downloaded transaction prior to them being dropped into my register.

I will contact tech support because I believe that the way a downloaded transaction should be handled,especially if they are automated, should be consistent.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Casting my "vote" to restore this feature, too. It's available in the PC version; it shouldn't be a big dev hurdle to include it in the Mac version.

It's a big enough problem for me that I may end up switching to another application.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Casting my "vote" to restore this feature, too. It's available in the PC version; it shouldn't be a big dev hurdle to include it in the Mac version.

It's a big enough problem for me that I may end up switching to another application.

To cast your vote and have it counted, you actually have to click VOTE at the top of this page.  ;-)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    I've recently switched over to the Mac version.  Having to run VM just for Quicken has disintegrated my interest in doing the finances over the years.  Being forced to upgrade from 2015 meant that I finally decided to try this out.  I was dismayed to see this feature missing.  

One particular use for me is something I haven't noticed anyone mention: this helps me watch for unauthorized transactions.  I don't reconcile on a daily basis.  I might check my bank transactions each week, usually every other.  Rather than having to log into the bank website or rely on their fraud prevention, I have been able to download transactions and line-by-line approve them, watching for anything unusual.  I absolutely hate not having that option.

It's also frustrating that it doesn't always match things well.  I have several automatic transactions that happen every single month to different payees but the same amount within a few days of one another.  Will it match them correctly each time?  I never know.  This is another use I have for the manual acceptance.

Please bring it back.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    eb-eb said:

I've recently switched over to the Mac version.  Having to run VM just for Quicken has disintegrated my interest in doing the finances over the years.  Being forced to upgrade from 2015 meant that I finally decided to try this out.  I was dismayed to see this feature missing.  

One particular use for me is something I haven't noticed anyone mention: this helps me watch for unauthorized transactions.  I don't reconcile on a daily basis.  I might check my bank transactions each week, usually every other.  Rather than having to log into the bank website or rely on their fraud prevention, I have been able to download transactions and line-by-line approve them, watching for anything unusual.  I absolutely hate not having that option.

It's also frustrating that it doesn't always match things well.  I have several automatic transactions that happen every single month to different payees but the same amount within a few days of one another.  Will it match them correctly each time?  I never know.  This is another use I have for the manual acceptance.

Please bring it back.

I was using a VM and then using Crossover to run Quicken WIn.  I finally gave in and got Quicken Mac...ran both for a while, and now (as of the 1st of the year) am using Quicken Mac.  There are issues like the one you mention...and I hope they bring that back too.  I hate all the mismatches...you have to be very careful.  I usually end up logging into the bank or credit card website to doublecheck and get "ground truth".  And I still have an issue with a bank who uses multi-factor authentication....it is such an easy fix to make a trusted connection via software...but that is a topic for another thread :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Meaning folks no disrespect I'm abit confused as to the concerns with matching transactions in QM ; I enter all my transactions manually either directly in to the respective register or via the mobile app, in both cases the transactions show in the registers with the "orange pencil" which signifies the manual entry. When the transactions download I note that the transactions with the "orange pencil" are replaced with the "blue pencil" and the "blue check " off in the Clr column signifying the transaction s have been matched . before I mark the items reviewed I briefly compare the transactions to the paper receipts. When I'm satisfied I mark all items reviewed.

Others have counseled adding the matched column , which if needed for one's piece of mind is easy enough. When reconciliation is implemented either electronically or manual via the statement ( I do both) the blue check mark is replaced by a green circled check mark ✅.

@RickO, as I recall from QW13 premier transactions showed up as matched in the download window which would then be accepted. I believe that is how I remember it.

While I feel as many here that QM has limitations wrt to QW & Q2007 this threads issue while not identical to the way QW acts is the least of the issues holding folks back from getting of QW & their VM's . Reportiing, reports & investments limitations are IMHO the major impediment s for a full embrace of QM.

I really miss this feature too -- I was forced to abandon Quicken years ago when I got my first Mac, but nothing else has worked for me and given recent reviews I decided to give it another shot.  The orange and blue pencils (and blue dots) pretty much do the trick for me though.  At least by seeing what I have not yet reviewed, I know what I need to do, and I just confirm that the matching has been done properly before marking as reviewed.  If I am understanding the issue is that the transactions are technically entered in your register whether or not you have reviewed them, which affects balances, but at least I am able to focus in on what matching quicken has done and have some record that I have actually "touched" the transaction and confirmed it is okay. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Having this feature would make so many of my task easier. I do a lot of split transactions and Quicken for Mac 2018 doesn't handle these well.
  • SSteve
    SSteve Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's astounding to me that this feature is not available in Q2018. All my online accounts wind up with duplicates of any entries I entered manually. Oh well, back to 2007 I go. I thought I was finally going to be able to switch from Q2007 but I guess not. I'll keep an eye on the release notes to see when this gets fixed.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

It's astounding to me that this feature is not available in Q2018. All my online accounts wind up with duplicates of any entries I entered manually. Oh well, back to 2007 I go. I thought I was finally going to be able to switch from Q2007 but I guess not. I'll keep an eye on the release notes to see when this gets fixed.

what you can do is drag the manual transaction on top of the downloaded transaction so QM will learn to recognize & match the transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

this is wrong. if a transaction — say, a charge to Uber — is 20% of the time a business expense (so should go to one category) and 80% of the time personal (so it can go to another) there is nothing for QM to "recognize". What Q should "recognize" is that disabling this feature makes it less valuable. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

And regarding the waiting till Quicken fixes this problem: Wait no longer. I was informed by Q management that they are "never" going to address this problem because they don't believe it is a problem. 
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

I suspect that Q management doesn't use the program for their own personal finances. Therefore they don't believe it is a problem.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

This feature has nothing to do with managing splits, and never has been; not in QWin nor in QM2007, and for good reason. 

As it stands now, there is no easy way for Quicken to split transactions that are downloaded as it does not have the info needed to make that determination. There are 4 ways to try to manage this:
    1. pre-enter the transaction with the splits before downloading, so a match can occur.
    2. set-up a scheduled transaction with the splits, so a match can occur.
    3. when the transaction is downloaded, go an enter a second transaction from the list of payees that has the desired splits. Then perform a manual match (click and drag one over the other). 
    4. update the split after the transaction has been downloaded.
    For Quicken to assume that a pre-existing transaction with entered splits is to be used is not easy because, though that may be what you want, it may not be what another user wants, and there is no way for Quicken to know when to use the split and when not to. So, this is one process that will always require user intervention, with above as work-arounds.

I guess, one feature request would be to have an option that says "Always use this Payee and splits when matching" (similar to the Lock Payee Categorization feature request here: 
    Add ability to LOCK a payee and categorization. This would be a new feature request, since it does not exist in any Quicken product.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

Transaction is entered into Quicken with the correct splits. What we have been asking for is the ability to match a downloaded transaction (before it is entered into register) to a existing transaction with the correct splits.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SSteve said:

steve45 I am not aware of any version of Quicken that does this if the transaction is either not already in the register waiting to be matched or entered as a scheduled transaction.

So although a nice and desirable feature, that is why this would be a NEW feature beyond the scope of this request, although it is related (as this IDEA thread is about 'RESTORING' what already exists in other Quicken products). And why the work-around is one of the above-mentioned options.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    SSteve said:

I hate to disagree with another Steve45 but Q for Windows, including the current subscription release, has the transaction matching feature as did the old QM2007.

I have been on this tread since it’s early postings. I appreciate all the suggested workarounds, which I have tried or implement, and my experience is they can help but I have not had a monthly reconciliation since I upgraded from QM2007 to QM2015 that didn’t have at least one transaction that slipped by and resulted in the painstakingly difficulties of manual effort to delete an automatic cleared transaction.

We had the tool then it was taken away and now we want it back.

FYI, I’m running OSX 10.13 and my wife is running Windows 10, lastest release, under the subscription program.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    SSteve said:

This comment is in response to some of the previously posted posts over that past couple of days.

dragging and dropping an entered transaction does help with getting splits right but doesn’t necessarily teach the program. Here’s an example. I have a few dozen reoccurring transactions actions that if I fail to mark paid/deposited the transaction is deleted from the register and sows up as downloaded. When the recurring transaction isn’t matched I’ll drag and drop it on the download transaction, if it’s been paid, and the same error continues to happen month after month. I’ve discussed this with Q Customer Support and they tell me they’ve never seen this issue even though I’ve called several times.

In a previous post smayer lists 4 ways to manually match downloads and I’ve tried them all, one point I’d like to reiterate, with reoccurring transactions is mark them paid.
  • Scott20
    Scott20 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    SSteve said:

I'd like to second your comment, matching does not work properly or reliably nor solve the problem. I've used Quicken Mac up to 2007, and Windows versions in addition to the new 2017/18, I know how it should work. Quicken, fix this.