reinvesting dividends requires 2 transactions to increase # of shares

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Reinvesting Dividends transaction (TC) does not increase the # of shares for mutual funds, nor for CDs(since they are not handled as a CD!). You must make a 2nd TC, using a different date. I recommend showing zero dollars so as to not screw up total dividends received.
With CDs I classified them as money market instruments and was then allowed to enter them once in order to increase the balance. This is of course doing reinvest interest and you show it as shares, not balance.l
I have changed all the mutual funds to an asset class of money market, but have not yet tried any TC to see if the situation is corrected. I have not looked into trying stocks!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    What version of Quicken are you using?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Quicken Premier 2018 for Mac. The problem does not exist if using the Windows version; i.e., Premier 2018
  • RickO
    edited June 2018
    Your problem description is not really clear to me, but sounds like it might be related to Placeholder Transactions. See this:

FAQ: What Are Placeholder Transactions in Quicken for Mac?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    It reads as if placeholder transactions only apply if online with the FI. I enter transactions manually; i.e., am not online with any FI.
  • RickO
    edited June 2018
    Duncan02 said:

It reads as if placeholder transactions only apply if online with the FI. I enter transactions manually; i.e., am not online with any FI.

Correct. Placeholders do not apply for manual accounts. 
This discussion has been closed.