tax planner: It NEVER works

2»

Comments

• Dave LynchDave Lynch Member
    edited January 2018

I have a question regarding the "Community" and problems that have been going on for as long as I've used Quicken.  Now that Quicken is independent of Intuit, and supposedly more resources are being thrown at it, has anyone seen any improvements?  I mean, as far as I can tell, the Tax Planner has not changed since I've used Quicken (2000), and has the same problems of changing numbers, answers, etc.  Does someone at Quicken monitor these boards to see what problems users are having?  I don't see any differences (improvements) in the Reporting module.  I thought there was some "promise" of that too.  I hope that now that they have their subscription model going, and have some cash flow, they can actually do something to earn the revenue.

My issue with tax planner is that my option to select "scheduled bills and deposits" for "source for projected amount" in each category is greyed out and cannot be selected.  This happened 1/1/2017 and has persisted.  Very frustrating.  
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    2018 R5 has been made available for manual download. https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows
  • John SmithJohn Smith Member
    edited January 2018
    Neither of those patches work - I download, run as administrator, and then just get an error message that it is unable to check for updates because the server file failed to load. (the temp file wyserver.wys is either malformed or is an unknown protocol?)
  • mtn_livingmtn_living Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    I had no problem installing mondo large whole patch/update but tax planner still a total mess. See my post in another thread on same topic.
  • I had no problem installing mondo large whole patch/update but tax planner still a total mess. See my post in another thread on same topic.

I'm shocked, shocked that the Tax Planner doesn't work ;-)
    edited January 2018

I had no problem installing mondo large whole patch/update but tax planner still a total mess. See my post in another thread on same topic.

They pulled the patch. It downloads duplicate transactions in investment accounts.
  • mtn_livingmtn_living Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Guess using the Help/Report a Problem thing really works, put a report in as soon as this problem cropped up for me after installing patch this am.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

A problem here too.  Old transactions downloaded from Merrill Edge.  My Raymond James and Fidelity accounts throwing errors now (didnt think to screen grab them).  Might be coincidence but something tells me no....

A mess. Besides tax planner, they seemed to have hosed up the stack view "fix" too, IMO.

Scott
    2018 QW2018 R.14
    edited January 11
    The new R5 patch is out. Tax Planner looks pretty good for 2018. 

To get 2017 data to show you have to toggle date to 2016, then back to 2017 and you will see date change from 2018 to 2017 in upper left section and then "Next" will take you to 2017 details.

To return to 2018, close the planner and reopen it.

Hopefully they will fix that in the next patch.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Then pulled because it screwed with investments, another Quicken Quality Control fubar, snafu whichever you like better...
    edited January 2018
    Then fixed and reposted.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

To get 2017 data to show you have to toggle date to 2016, then back to 2017 and you will see date change from 2018 to 2017 in upper left section and then "Next" will take you to 2017 details.

imageSame behavior for me re:dates. I assume that we should see 2017 and 2018 as pull-down options?  See image below.

I noted that my scenarios are wiped out for 2017.... Quicken:  You should carry-over these scenarios each and every time you push revisions!  2017 scenarios are still important for me.

Quicken:  How are you testing this stuff?  Seems like it would be an obvious catch in test.

Regards,
    Scott
    2018QWHBRr4.15

edited January 2018

I found that after a One Step Update the following day, the Tax Planner pull-down was then showing 2018/2017. Weird.
  • Dave307Dave307 Member
    edited June 2018
    QPW said:

I have often commented on the fact that the Tax Planner is one of the "long forgotten" features that really needs an update.  It was created back in the "The Desktop is the Internet" era (late 1990s) and the GUI is actually a web page generated by ActiveX (which has long since been deem "unsafe").  But more to the point even though from time to time they update the tax tables, and even fix some of the calculations (recently they did that) it is really the GUI that has most of the problems!

Besides the problem you have pointed out their is the famous ones where you set something, and as soon as you leave it switches to some other setting.  Or I have seen it about $3000 current transactions and $3000 future transactions, and the line in the details is fine, but the total line above is about $22,000.

And as far as I can tell it is doing something like this.  Quicken calls the "GUI" through ActiveX and it is what you see above and interact with, and that is displayed in Quicken by using the embedded IE web browser. The information is then sent back to Quicken, where the actual calculations are being done.  So you have this extremely complicate system just to create the GUI, and it is even using fixed size tables and such that are getting cut off in Quicken 2017 at various places.

All for the sake of the old out of date idea that the web pages should extend into a Desktop application, when this wouldn't be that complicate of user interface just to do in regular GUI library functions.

I was having the same problem except that my problem was
    with the Taxable interest field.  What
    corrected it for me was to validate the QDF file.  After I did that, the numbers were correct.
    Hope this helps.
  • fanfarefanfare Member
    edited June 2018

There's a simple solution to this problem: decommission the Tax Planner.

I've never gone near the Tax Planner once I figured out it doesn't work.
    It is dead to me now.
    As is the Life Planner.

P.S. Instead, I use my tax software to keep a running tax return that shows my income and taxes for this year. It's pretty simple to keep up-to-date and gives an accurate result that is close enough for my purposes.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

No! It works. It is accurate. I have checked it against TurboTax. Same results.Lifetime planner is working well, too.If you don't like it, then don't use it.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited June 2018

Both the tax planner and lifetime planner are for simple situations ONLY, once it starts to get away from that neither works well and better solutions are out there.
    edited June 2018

With respect to Tax Planner, it will pretty much give an accurate projection in all situations for which it has an input box to track a tax line item. That can get pretty complex. Further, there is no other product I'm aware of that provides real-time tax projections linked to a dynamic financial data set directly downloaded from a user's financial institutions.
  • The new R5 patch is out. Tax Planner looks pretty good for 2018. 

No, the numbers vary wildly every time it's opened. I just wish the numbers wouldn't change, if I don't change the actuals/budgets. I'm a CPA by profession and I've done a few tax returns in my day.  I have no quibble with the calculation - I can do that myself.  I just want the (semi) accurate data that comes out of Quicken so that I can keep a handle on what's happening.  Can't do that if the numbers change while I'm looking at them.
    edited June 2018

Changing numbers in Tax Planner are a sign of data file and software installation corruption. Use a QCleanUI re-install and Quicken Copy/Validate to correct that. When 2018 first launched, I did have some stability issues in the planner. But that was before 2018 tax corrections was even incorporated and it usually manifested when switching between tax years.

I found that stepping through the planner and entering User Entered values of zero for each input cleared out whatever corruption was present in the table. My tax planner is rock solid and loaded with scheduled transactions. If it was a systemic problem, my file should exhibit the changing value behavior.
    edited June 2018

It will "pretty much give an accurate projection..." is not good enough.  I have experienced the "changing numbers even after the whole copy/Validate, QCleanUI reinstall dance.  If you tax planner is rock solid good for you.  For many of us it is not.

Just today, I watched it change numbers, before my very eyes.  Then it locked up.  I thought that had been fixed, what?  2 versions ago.  Apparently not.
    edited June 2018

Today I also watched it change after downloading to accurately reflect the updated projected tax resulting from the new data. Sorry it's not working for you, but it can and does work well for the vast majority who use it.

You might want to sign up for the Beta program and offer your file for testing to see if an issue can be identified. If an error can be reproduced, Quicken is pretty good at fixing it. They are not very good at fixing bugs reported as "it just doesn't work". Those are hard to nail down.
  • ChicagoDan2ChicagoDan2 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Its never worked for me either.  I'm using QW2017.  The numbers were off significantly during 2017.  And once the year rolled over to 2018 and I select 2017 in the dropdown it shows 2018 projections.  So it was useless for figuring out my 2017 taxes.  Ridiculous.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

I have used it to determine withholdings, and to figure tax liability, and it was accurate on both counts, agreeing with both Turbotax and actuals throughout the year. I agree with Marcus1957 that it can and does work. It can only work as well as the data that is being supplied to it.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • ChicagoDan2ChicagoDan2 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

There's nothing wrong with my data.  All my accounts match my financial institutions.  I can run tax reports in Quicken and they match pretty closely the year end numbers I put in to turbo tax.  I don't have any file corruption. 

Tax Planner is a buggy mess. 

If anything I'd say the users it works for are the exception and not the rule.
    edited June 2018

QW2017 will never give an accurate tax projection for 2018 given all the changes. Tax Planner has always only been current for the product version year and the prior year. Before all the changes from 2017, it might have been close but to expect 2017 to work in 2018 is dreaming. I've always updated Quicken every year primarily for Tax Planner updates; it's always paid for itself in tax strategy savings.  

I agree, that year end rollover issue was a pain but by that time, other than an IRA choice, the die was cast.

I'm talking about the numbers it is showing, not the calculation of the tax.  The numbers that it is pulling from my own data change all the time, including while I'm looking at them.  I can calculated the damn tax.  I'd like the Tax Planner to at least pull the activity accurately, display it accurately, and not change while I'm looking at it.
    edited June 2018

So did you try any of the processes I suggested? 
This discussion has been closed.