windows 10 home to windows 8.1 pro ("downgrade")

I am considering changing from Windows 10 home to Windows 8.1 pro update.  Is the transition from one to the other a little risky as far as my Quicken file is concerned?

I have a LOT of important data in Quicken and I am regularly a little nervous about my Quicken file as it seems people are often told to "revert to a backup" and "see if there are any problems with the backup."

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It shouldn't be.  Odd thing though is, you don't hear much from Windows 8.1 users here, it is usually Win7 or Win10.  I don't think that means that they don't have issues with Quicken, it just could be that there aren't many 8.1 users (but I find that hard to believe).

Things to do before the transition though.
    1. Make sure that you have the Quicken installation CD or downloaded installation program.
    2. Download the latest patch release from: Quicken Updates if you are running 2016 -> subscription.  Otherwise get it from this link: Quicken Patches for older versions.
    3. Make Quicken Backups to removable media of each data file if you are keeping more than one set of financial records.  Backup only does the active data file.
    4. Print out the current balances of all accounts to make sure that everything went back where it should.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SilverthunderSilverthunder Member
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

It shouldn't be.  Odd thing though is, you don't hear much from Windows 8.1 users here, it is usually Win7 or Win10.  I don't think that means that they don't have issues with Quicken, it just could be that there aren't many 8.1 users (but I find that hard to believe).

Things to do before the transition though.

1. Make sure that you have the Quicken installation CD or downloaded installation program.
    2. Download the latest patch release from: Quicken Updates if you are running 2016 -> subscription.  Otherwise get it from this link: Quicken Patches for older versions.
    3. Make Quicken Backups to removable media of each data file if you are keeping more than one set of financial records.  Backup only does the active data file.
    4. Print out the current balances of all accounts to make sure that everything went back where it should.
    As an aside, I was reading that windows 8 has about 5% marketshare (I think of total windows users)