Quicken 2017 R16.2 pop up window for matching securities - too slow when security count is large

Options
J M
J M Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using quicken 2017 Home & Business.

I'm seeing terribly slow response when entering securities into an transaction now that the new pop-up window from R16.2 is enabled.    It can take seconds to follow my keystrokes while searching my large list of securities.

I have 7733 securities being tracked - most are stock options.
Investment account has ~3000 transactions.

All was workable before the R16.2 update - not, almost unusable.
I know my usage exceeds the guidelines for security count - but what's a user like me to do?

Thanks

Comments

• J M
    J M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    And yes - this is R16.2 .   The normal "about" dialog shows that clearly, but the detailed file information dialog, for some reason, only say R16 .

Thanks again
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Be sure to check the hide column for any securities (e.g. expired options) in your securities list that aren't necessary for transactions going forward.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There are several things that can be done to see if it improves.

I would start by making a backup so you can easily just restore your backup
    Then do a file/file operations/ copy with a new name and use the copy going forward unless you need or want to revert to the backup

Do a file validation

Now see if any better

Next 2 things to try in any order if desired:

Clean install sometimes clears up things that have occurred between versions
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Start a new Investment account (I would suggest that anyway just because large Investment accounts get slow over time anyway.)
    Create New Account
    Go to old account and transfer all securities and cash to new account
    disable online access in old account and enable in new account and adjust reports to include both accounts (It will retain cost basis etc..)

Even though it just occurred, these steps normally clear it up in my experience

PS: You are obviously over their stated security limit but it still should be fine; 
  • J M
    J M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    HI - thank you.   I think this is an excellent idea.    I just wish there was a way to do this quickly and easily over almost 7000 entries.... and it seems to stall for a few seconds on each one of these I click.   Kind of a high hurdle to get to where I need to be, but I'll give it a try.
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    J M said:

HI - thank you.   I think this is an excellent idea.    I just wish there was a way to do this quickly and easily over almost 7000 entries.... and it seems to stall for a few seconds on each one of these I click.   Kind of a high hurdle to get to where I need to be, but I'll give it a try.

I have around 5,000 securities on QWIN2018 and have absolutely no performance problems entering transactions so I would expect that if you hide all options who's expiration date is in the past you'll be fine too.  Be sure that after you hide them all you do not check the "show hidden securities" checkbox in the securities list as that will not only show them in the securities list but also in transaction lists.
  • J M
    J M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi Miklk,
      Thanks for the suggestions.
    A new copy after a backup doesn't seem to help.
    A validation doesn't show any issues.

I *did* start a new investment account and transfer from old to new for other slowness at the beginning of the year, so what's there now is simply for 2018 - I am *hoping* to get thru a yr w/o needing to reset to another new acct.   We'll see.   But, I concur - this makes a huge improvement in other aspects of transaction speed - especially in linked investment accounts (per my experience, anyway).

One sidenote - this is really difficult to transfer securities from old to new acct, because I found that it won't transfer short positions (short options).   They end-up remaining in the "old" account even when trying to transfer all securities from old to new.   If that ever gets fixed/improved, it'll help my needs/usage a lot.   (I don't recall if I tried this before or after moving from 2015 -> 2017 version).

I've not yet tried a clean install....

Thanks again for the ideas
This discussion has been closed.