Can't save GOOG and GOOGL purchases in the same account.

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
We have an account that has both GOOG (Google class C) and GOOGL (Google class A) purchases. I am manually entering the information from a statement since this is an older account and I don't want to deal with managing years of old transaction.

I have entered GOOG with and Quicken enters it into the account with no problems. However, when I try to enter the GOOGL transaction, Quicken either tries to adjust the price/quantity of GOOG or it simply goes back to the transaction screen with no new entry. I have tried using a different purchase date, but same issue.

Quicken lists both GOOG and GOOGL (but have identical company names) when selecting the security name.
I am using Home & Business 2018 on a Windows machine.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Change the Security Name for GOOGL to be different from the Name used by GOOG.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

Specifically, add the class designation to the first one, create the second one, and add the class designation to that one. That way you (and Quicken) can always be clear as to which is which.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

That worked, which is what I expected it to. However, the first two times I tried that (before posting) Quicken wouldn't let me make the change. The program was having some issues and shutting itself down, so maybe whatever issue that was causing the shut down was keeping me from changing names. Anyway, after a hard shut down, restart, I was able to change the name and the program is happy.
    Thanks!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

If the program has shut down abnormally, especially more than once, it would seem wise to run the file through the Validate and Repair routines.  I would do that on a copy of the file, just-in-case.  The validate process does not guarantee perfection, but it can root out some unexpected aspects in the internals.  
This discussion has been closed.