Quicken doesn't care about my renaming rules or categorizing specific payees?

Unknown
Unknown Member
Quicken Premier 2018 R.9.30
Build 27.1.9.30
Windows 10

I've found some weird behavior which makes it very frustrating to review downloaded transactions: sometimes Quicken fails to update downloaded payee names to what I've set in renaming rules or to properly categorize transactions. Matching transactions is also really un-intuitive, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or this is just another case of Quicken not working (I also have the problem where shortcut keys don't work and some transactions just don't download but those are separate issues y a a a a y).

Here you can see my renaming rules for one of my credit cards:

Here's where you can see that Quicken doesn't seem to care what I want:

Do my rules not cover these two situations? I've verified I don't have any other rules regarding Citi at all, so I don't see what if anything would be conflicting and causing this behavior.

I have a payee which receives 3 different categories of payments each month and the amounts are fixed. I thought I could use Memorized Payees to essentially tell Quicken "when you see a transaction from this payee for this amount, assign it this category". When I update transactions and review them, however, Quicken assigns each of these transactions to whatever of these 3 categories it likes the most.

Does matching even work? Manual matching has no search function (which is an interesting design choice) and I can't use it to find existing transactions--they don't seem to be found by the manual match function.

You can clearly see the downloaded transaction matches the one already in the register:

but if I try to match it manually (Quicken cannot find this on its own, for some reason), here are my options:
The transaction from the same date, with same payee and same amount is conspicuously absent as an option to match this downloaded transaction. What am I missing here?

I appreciate anyone's time and effort who takes a look at this and has any input. This software has me ready to pull out my hair.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is a known bug that if you are in an account's register when you do the import of transactions  (OSU or manual import), the renaming rules will not be applied.  If you change to another account and then go back to the original account, the rules are applied.

I don't know if this describes your situation, but it is one where the rules aren't applied.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

It is a known bug that if you are in an account's register when you do the import of transactions  (OSU or manual import), the renaming rules will not be applied.  If you change to another account and then go back to the original account, the rules are applied.

I don't know if this describes your situation, but it is one where the rules aren't applied.

That is really helpful, thanks. Does that mean if I'm in the register when they're downloaded, they won't appear to change until I go to another account then come back? Or does it mean the rules won't be applied at all?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

The rules are applied, but it just dawned on me that this doesn't work if you have your imports set for auto-enter.  The transactions still have to be in the Download Transactions Tab awaiting acceptance.

I get caught by this because I have three accounts set up for Web Connect downloads and I go to the account and do an Update Now from there, so after the import, I have to change accounts and return to do the acceptance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020

My last web connect download renamed my utilities names without switching accounts. If it happens again next month, it might be fixed.

I'm not sure "rautopay" is going to work as I think only characters between spaces are scanned and compared to the rule; i.e., the rule payee contains "park" will not spawn the rule if a payee name contains the words "parking lot".
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020

Renamed utilities in a Web Connect download worked as expected again this month. I did not have to switch out of the account and back to get the rule to work. 
  • Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hello Markus1957,

Thanks for taking the time to post your update. Happy to hear your renaming rule is automatically applying correctly this month for your web connected transactions!

Sincerely,

Alex
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Alex,

Do you think you could address my post to answer my questions about matching transactions?
  • Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hello Nancy,

Apologies for the delayed response, I've been reviewing and researching this matching issue. So far, it seems this has not been reported to our Product Developers (or I'm simply unable to locate the ticket), so I'm working to get as many details as possible to reproduce. Once I can reproduce, I'll be happy to create the ticket so we can get to work on fixing this as quickly as possible.

To make sure I'm doing everything exactly as you're experiencing it, please confirm if you have updated to the latest Quicken Windows release, R9.33, since posting this thread. Please also confirm if the manually-entered transaction in your screenshot (USAA) was showing as uncleared, cleared, or reconciled at the time you took the screenshot.

Looking forward to working with you on this.

Thank you,

Alex
  • Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Nancy,

If you still require assistance on this matter, please confirm you are on the latest Quicken release (Help > Check for Updates).

Please also provide your Quicken version and build (Help > About Quicken).

If you require no further assistance, this post will be closed in the next couple of days.

Thank you,
    Alex
This discussion has been closed.