Downloaded VISA transactions ALL indicate "Match", and match to totally unrelated transactions.

Richard Roberts
Richard Roberts Member ✭✭✭
When I update VISA transactions (mine are from USBank), all new downloads "Match" other older downloaded transactions, which have no relationship at all.  Every time I update, and get new VISA downloads, I have to select "edit" on the right column of one of the transactions, select "make all new", and then I can enter them correctly.  Unfortunately, using the "make all new" option, Un-matches the few downloads that actually are correctly "matched" to items.  Any way to correct this?

BTW, this has been going on for some time, and persists even with updates, and in my case, changing from Quicken Rental 2016 to Quicken Premier 2018.

Using Quicken Premier 2018, version 8.8, on Win 7.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to review:

https://www.quicken.com/support/handling-downloaded-transactions

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-does-quicken-suggest-categories-and-payees

I suspect you need to correct your renaming rules.
  • Richard Roberts
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the advice, Sherlock.  I reviewed the links, and ultimately erased all of my renaming rules, and also selected to not use Quicken's suggested names.  Still getting the "matching" category in the register after downloading, and still NO relation between the download, and the match Quicken selects, which by the way, is also already listed as "cleared"!  Any other suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thanks for the advice, Sherlock.  I reviewed the links, and ultimately erased all of my renaming rules, and also selected to not use Quicken's suggested names.  Still getting the "matching" category in the register after downloading, and still NO relation between the download, and the match Quicken selects, which by the way, is also already listed as "cleared"!  Any other suggestions?

As you reviewed the support documents, you know the Status field is not relevant.

It may be helpful for you provide screen captures of specific examples.  I suggest you include the original downloaded transaction fields.
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Here is an example of what I get, each time I open my VISA register.  And you can see it "Matches" with a totally irrelevant entry, which has cleared, from some time ago.  I guess I could continue to "Make all new" each time, it but used to work properly.  Attached is a screen shot.image
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

If you haven't already, I suggest you perform the Copy you file and Validate described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Why do you have unreconciled transactions dating all the way back to 2016?

Don't you reconcile your account to your account statement monthly?
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

It seems to be fairly common for some users not to reconcile to a statement. A "Cleared" downloaded transaction, indicated by a "c", updates the Online balance in the register. Some users just check that the online balance matches their bank's online balance, and call it done. I'm a little more anal about it, and I reconcile to a statement every month, so I see where you are coming from.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

A "Cleared" downloaded transaction, indicated by a "c", updates the Online balance in the register.
    Not true.  A "Cleared" downloaded transaction is indicated by the presence of a Downloaded field such as Downloaded Posting Date and does not impact the Online Balance in the register.  The Online Balance is the amount imported from the financial institution.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thanks for pointing out my error (I could always count on that). The point I was trying to make is that many users don't actually reconcile transactions, they just compare the online balance to their register balance.....
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Sherlock,
    I have done the validate procedure, and cleaned up a couple of issues in both my VISA and my checking account.  I will have to see if this correctes the "Match" problem in my VISA account when I next get items downloaded from my bank.

I do not usually reconcile my accounts each month, and perhaps I should be doing that....thanks for the suggestion Jerry Mathers.
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Sherlock,
    Well, I did the copy file/validate, and am using the corrected dat-File, but today, when I updated, the VISA downloads, once again, are listed as "Match", but the referenced match is wrong, and has no relationship to the downloaded file.  Any other suggestions?
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Sherlock,
    Well, I did the copy file/validate, and am using the corrected dat-File, but today, when I updated, the VISA downloads, once again, are listed as "Match", but the referenced match is wrong, and has no relationship to the downloaded file.  Any other suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

The next thing I suggest trying is creating a new account register to replace the original account register.  You should be a to move the transactions from the original register to the new register, reset any reminders or memorized transactions, delete the original register, and rename the new register.

If the issue persists, my remaining suggestion is to migrate to a new datafile.
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Well, I did as you suggested: deactivated my VISA account in Q, added a new VISA account from my bank to Q.  In the new account, a balance forward was listed, and about 3 months of transactions were in the download part of the register....all of them NEW.  
    I was able to "Move" transactions from the old account to the new account, using shift+click, but since all of the transactions had been Reconciled, I had to accept each one into the new account, individually!  Well, I can't do that for nearly 10 years of transactions!  Is there a way to get around that?  Also, what do I do with the 3 months of transactions in the download register? 
    Looks like this is on the right track, but a couple of stumbling blocks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Here is the sequence I would use:

Deactivate the Online Services of the original account.
    Create a new manual account
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

To handle the Reconciled transactions, I suggest temporarily setting their Cleared Status to uncleared, moving the transactions to the new register, and reseting their Cleared Status back to Reconciled.

To handle the 3-month of New download transactions, I suggest accepting all the transactions into the register, sort the register by Order Entered so you may select the range of the newly added duplicate transactions and delete them.

• Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Well, I followed the plan, changed cleared/reconciled status to uncleared, then used the edit menu to move transactions to the new VISA account (which took a loooooong time), but after the moving, I was unable to get Quicken to display on my monitor.  I could see page by hovering over the Q icon in my tray, but I could NOT get the page to pull up on the screen.  Tried all sorts of maneuvers, including uninstalling Quicken, reinstalling Quicken, but could not get it to work.  Spent time trying other options, and could not get success.

I guess I will just have to use the "make all new" option in the edit menu for downloaded VISA transactions in my register, and make connections my self.

Thanks for the help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Did you try hovering over the Quicken task bar icon until the application window icon appeared and then right clicking on the application window icon that appeared and selecting Restore or Maximize?
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

Oh yea, I did all of that.  Even Un-installed/re-installed Quicken.  Ultimately, first time around, had to use System Image to bring computer back (failed to Restore from recent Restore point!).  Second time around with the maneuver, and STILL could not get Quicken to show up on screen, although the icon picture, with hovering, was there!  Very strange.  Took up so much time messing with it, I guess I am comfortable just using the "make all new" routine going forward.
  • Richard Roberts
    edited May 2020

To follow up, and relay what I ended up doing:  I simply deactivated my "Old" Visa account, and set up a "New" Visa account with my bank, using the same credit card.  I cleaned up all the non-cleared transactions, and entered them in the "New" Visa account, plus I moved over the balance due from the "Old" Visa register into the "New" Visa register.  Since then, all new transactions are "New", and only matched when they are correctly identified.  I still have the "Old" Visa register to use to review past purchases, and to keep all categories used appropriately accounted for.  There must have been something bad with the "Old" Visa data file that I could not correct, but now I have a fully functional "New" Visa account, and still all the old data accounted for.  Thanks for the help, folks!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hi Richard,

We're glad to hear that you were able to resolve the matching issue and thank you for taking the time to post back with the steps you took to resolve, it's appreciated!

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.