Budgets

I would appreciate if you would spend some time improving Quicken's budget software. Some requested improvements:

- Add, delete, modify categories in Budget or in Categories and have such changes flow throughout Quicken

- Simplify the budget process allowing user three options: (a) autofill with prior year's data/expenses; (b) input straight-line expenses; or, (c) manually input expenses

-Revise column layout and headings in Budget v. Actual view to: Month: Actual, Budget, Diff, %; Year-To-Date: Actual, Budget, Diff, %; Year: Budget, % Spent

- Allow users to view only Month or Year-To-Date or Year columns

- Add warnings that can be turned on or off when one is about to exceed their budget

These a just a few of the improvements that would significantly enhance your product.    
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• edited June 2018
    I absolute HATE the current month Budget format.  I don't want BARS, I want what actual vs budgeted amount.  You do that in the 12 month format, why not in the 1 month format.  Can't believe someone actually likes the obnoxious big bars across the page!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited August 2018
    These are nice ideas. On eof them already exists as an IDEA. You can add your VOTE to 
    Add ability to choose months/yearly data for budget prints/reports.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Budgets. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

I woudl also strongly recommend that you split out the rest of your ideas into separate threads so that other users can add their votes. This will help guide the priorities for the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • WinterberryWinterberry Member
    edited July 2018
    I agree. Quicken needs to simplify the budget process and allow users three options: (a) autofill with prior year's data/expenses; (b) input straight-line expenses; or, (c) manually input expenses. But they need to have a view where a person can see how much they need to set aside a month to meet future expenses. 

I started using Quicken Budget on a very old version (2007 or so). It was very easy to set up. It was a simple list of categories with an amount, then I would click the month(s) I needed to pay it...Say for example - Auto insurance $500 in July. Then it would tell me how much I needed to set aside each month to be able to pay for that expense. This would let me budget monthly, but keep an eye on long-term spending. 

Its sad that when I "upgraded" to a new version with the promise of an upgraded budget - with fancy bars - the actual functionality of the budget was ruined for me. 

I think Quicken needs to go back to older versions and really look at how they have destroyed the Budget feature. Get rid of the bars completely. Fix the horrible 12-month view and let me know how much I need to save per month to make my annual expenses.

I keep upgrading thinking it will get better, but its not. So, I refuse to upgrade again till I know it will really work for me. 

Winter 
  • dcrose12dcrose12 Member
    edited September 2018
    Quicken should considering completely removing their Budget Planner.  I have never seen such a worthless feature, on an otherwise great product!
  • edited October 2018
    I have tried to  utilize The budget process in Quicken for several years hoping with each update that they would finally make it work, It is just not flexible enough to work as is,  I can down load the categories and data into Exell and easily make it  work.  Why I can't do the same in Quicken is beyond me. 
  • Chad PolandChad Poland Member
    edited December 2018
    The old budget interface was much (much!) better than the current one.  The new one is clunky and actually slows down the program.  It is hard to navigate.  The old one you put in the amount, entered frequency and you were done.  You could also show a monthly, quarterly, yearly budget with a click.  Far superior.  I have no idea what possessed them to move away from that. I have used quicken for as long as I can remember now and that has been and continues to be my biggest disappointment with the software.