Quicken 2017 update R16.2

13»

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

I agree with you that there is no guarantees. But I will not upgrade to what I know to be a buggy update. That's why I am still running 15.15. 

What upsets me is that Quicken is forcing an update on me without my initiating anything and I had to cancel it. 

That means it's also forcing a buggy update on unknowing users out there. 
    And there maybe lots of users out there who's unaware of this forum and this bug and will just kill the process or restart their windows. 

At the very least, Quicken needs to own the problem and pull the update until it's fixed. 

From C. D. Bales:

Quoting @ crfhtf: "His statement 'Your constant complaints are not adding anything of value to the discussion.' is a violation of the 'Be constructive with your criticism' guideline."

That is your subjective interpretation - and you're not a monitor of this Community ... you don't get to define violations.

Personally, I find pertinent facts to be constructive. Greg's statement is a simple pertinent constructive fact.

You made no attempt to demonstrate how "constant complaints" are "constructive" (since they aren't) or how they add "anything of value" (since they don't).

And you certainly did not add anything "constructive" or of "value" to this discussion.

If the truth causes someone here a problem, it's hard to believe they are here looking for a solution.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

I agree with you that there is no guarantees. But I will not upgrade to what I know to be a buggy update. That's why I am still running 15.15. 

What upsets me is that Quicken is forcing an update on me without my initiating anything and I had to cancel it. 

And there maybe lots of users out there who's unaware of this forum and this bug and will just kill the process or restart their windows. 

At the very least, Quicken needs to own the problem and pull the update until it's fixed. 

Another "SU" opinion that is basically worthless.  "If the truth causes someone here a problem, it's hard to believe they are here looking for a solution."  While you may be a Quicken expert, your argument lacks reason.  TF's constant complaints elicited a response from Quicken Sarah despite the repeated whining that "this is a user forum". Personally, that served me because I was having issues with the latest build and was more interested in getting an official response than your admonishment.  I don't even know why I bothered responding to your blather CS.
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

"If the truth causes someone here a problem, it's hard to believe they are here looking for a solution."  While you may be a Quicken expert, your argument lacks reason.  TF's constant complaints elicited a response from Quicken Sarah despite the repeated whining that "this is a user forum". Personally, that served me because I was having issues with the latest build and was more interested in getting an official response than your admonishment.  #getalife
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

"You made no attempt to demonstrate how "constant complaints" are "constructive" (since they aren't) or how they add "anything of value" (since they don't)."  While you may be a Quicken expert, your argument lacks reason.  TF's constant complaints kept the thread active and elicited a response from Quicken Sarah despite the repeated whining that "this is a user forum".  I didn't think that needed to be spelled out, but since you seem a bit obtuse....  Personally, that served me because I was having issues with the latest build and was more interested in getting an official response than your admonishment.
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

First, thank-you for responding to this thread!
    Second, thank-you for deleting all those posts which were in violation of the Guidelines, including mine.  
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Still waiting to hear an official response from Quicken as to what the status is? 
    Are they asking the users to accept the buggy update? 
    Will they fix it?

I think paying customers deserve a response. 

and then came the official response from Quicken Sarah...
    (see below)
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Still waiting to hear an official response from Quicken as to what the status is? 
    Will they fix it?

and then came the official response from Quicken Sarah...
    (see below)
  • Chris McGloneChris McGlone Member
    edited June 2018
    Having a user-to-user support forum is not a substitute for the company not communicating about problems and fixes.  
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Thank you Sarah for your gracious response. Sorry I didn’t
    respond sooner as I have been out of town and away from my PC.

The current prompt I get is to sync which I just disabled.
    My backup preference is set to automatic backup so I don’t get prompts for
    backups.

Here’s a few observations I have made just today and over
    the weekend.

I have access to several Quicken files and 2 smallest
    files(created 2013 and 2015) closes fine with File->Exit but 3  older files(created 1993, 2000 and 2010) hang with
    File->Exit.

I wonder if File->Exit do more to the accounts and transactions
    when you close using File->Exit than just clicking on the X or through the
    Quicken icon on the top left corner.

Having a background as a software engineer, I know a bit about closing files and exiting the program properly :)

BTW, I am also working with your PD team and will be sending them
    a sanitized version of a file that’s not closing properly. 

Thank you again for your response Sarah.

Your response or a Quicken official response was all that I and
    some others have asked for this past week.

I do have some follow up questions and concerns to what led
    to all of this. But I will follow up with that a later time as I don’t want to
    lose focus on getting this issue resolved with your PD team.
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

I think you failed to read or perhaps failed to understand Sarah's post.
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

"I think you failed to read or perhaps failed to understand Sarah's post."  Actually, my reading comprehension is excellent (CPA/MBA). As TF stated so eloquently, in part:

"Thank you again for your response Sarah."

"Your response or a Quicken official response was all that I and some others have asked for this past week."

My point was simple, while this is a user-to-user community, official responses turn up in numerous threads.  Every time TF was asking for an official Quicken response, he was being told by SU's that this was a user-to-user community, which implied that no official response would be forthcoming:

TF Question:  "It would nice for Quicken to speak up on this issue and on whether clicking X is safe. I will not always remember to click X. Some users have said clicking on the X doesn't close for them either."

"We don't want to corrupt our data." 

"I have asked Quicken to respond publicly on this issue for a few days now and have not heard back."

GTG Response:  "This is a user to user community."

Basically, GTG is saying, don't keep asking for something that is not forthcoming.  To the contrary, several of us where silently rooting for TF because we knew that an official response was probable.  Sarah's response directly addressed TF's question:

"In regard to the question asked about exiting via the "x" button in the top right corner of Quicken, there should be no issues caused by closing the program in this manner.  The difference in the two commands is, closing a program via the File > Exit option is creating the close command directly in the software, this goes for any piece of software installed on a Microsoft OS.  The "x" button creates the command in the Microsoft OS which then communicates it to the software and initiates the close.  Neither option is wrong or right, the difference is in how the OS talks to the software.'

Moreover, not only did she address the 'X" box issue, she attempted to replicate the issue many users were experiencing with the update:
    "I also attempted to replicate the freezing behavior in my copy of Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R16.2 and while I did experience a freeze once, after ending Quicken and re-opening, I cannot duplicate the freeze again." 
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

Me thinks you protest to much.
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

"I think you failed to read or perhaps failed to understand Sarah's post."  Actually, my reading comprehension is excellent (CPA/MBA). As TF stated so eloquently, in part:

"Thank you again for your response Sarah."

"Your response or a Quicken official response was all that I and some others have asked for this past week."

My point was simple, while this is a user-to-user community, official responses turn up in numerous threads.  Every time TF was asking for an official Quicken response, he was being told by SU's that this was a user-to-user community, which implied that no official response would be forthcoming:

TF Question:  "It would nice for Quicken to speak up on this issue and on whether clicking X is safe. I will not always remember to click X. Some users have said clicking on the X doesn't close for them either."

"We don't want to corrupt our data." 

"I have asked Quicken to respond publicly on this issue for a few days now and have not heard back."

GTG Response:  "This is a user to user community."

Basically, GTG is saying, don't keep asking for something that is not forthcoming.  To the contrary, several of us where silently rooting for TF because we knew that an official response was probable.  Sarah's response directly addressed TF's question:

"In regard to the question asked about exiting via the "x" button in the top right corner of Quicken, there should be no issues caused by closing the program in this manner.  The difference in the two commands is, closing a program via the File > Exit option is creating the close command directly in the software, this goes for any piece of software installed on a Microsoft OS.  The "x" button creates the command in the Microsoft OS which then communicates it to the software and initiates the close.  Neither option is wrong or right, the difference is in how the OS talks to the software.'

Moreover, not only did she address the 'X" box issue, she attempted to replicate the issue many users were experiencing with the update:
    "I also attempted to replicate the freezing behavior in my copy of Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R16.2 and while I did experience a freeze once, after ending Quicken and re-opening, I cannot duplicate the freeze again."
    #constructivecriticism
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hey folks.

This horse has been beat well past dead.  How about stopping the argument, PLEASE, it is getting us no where?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

Seems like you're forgetting all of TF's posts that were deleted due to being nothing more than complaints. This is primarily a User to User Support Forum. How many construction posts have you or TF contributed?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

mshiggins: "Me thinks you protest to much." [sic]

Me thinks you lost that argument...
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

Ha ha ha.
  • crfhtfcrfhtf Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Will they fix it?

"Seems like you're forgetting all of TF's posts that were deleted due to being nothing more than complaints. This is primarily a User to User Support Forum. How many construction posts have you or TF contributed?" [sic]

Seems like you are circumventing the issue at hand.  At least you have corrected your prior position when you state:
    "This is primarily a User to User Support Forum." (emphasis added)  That's progress...
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Hi Turnando,

Thank you for that additional information and I'm glad to hear that you are working with the PD team on this issue.  Due to the large amount of off-topic and argumentative posts occurring on this thread, I will be closing the post again but I am also sending you an email from our internal support system so we can follow-up on this after the work with PD is done.

Thank you again!

Sarah