Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    SSteve said:

It's astounding to me that this feature is not available in Q2018. All my online accounts wind up with duplicates of any entries I entered manually. Oh well, back to 2007 I go. I thought I was finally going to be able to switch from Q2007 but I guess not. I'll keep an eye on the release notes to see when this gets fixed.

Scott although it may be so that the matching algorithm needs improvement, this thread is not about fixing any issues with this functionality. There are other Problem threads asking for fixes/improvements.

Instead, this IDEA thread is a feature request to restore the Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow that already exists in QWin and QM2007 but has yet to be added to QM2018.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    SSteve said:

It's astounding to me that this feature is not available in Q2018. All my online accounts wind up with duplicates of any entries I entered manually. Oh well, back to 2007 I go. I thought I was finally going to be able to switch from Q2007 but I guess not. I'll keep an eye on the release notes to see when this gets fixed.

Steven I agree that this feature needs to be restored into QM2018 like it exists in QWin and QM2007, which is about controlling WHEN downloaded transactions are added to a register, with the opportunity to review the matches that have been performed by Quicken PRIOR to them being added. It is one feature I do really desire to see implemented. After all, that is why I am the one that started this IDEA thread in the first place. 

But matching part of this feature in QM2007 ONLY matches downloaded transactions to transactions that exist in the register. And in QWin, it can match to scheduled transactions too. This last part exists in QM2018 already. 

steve45 is talking above is being able to match downloaded transactions to the equivalent of the Memorized Transactions list in QWin and QM2007...the closest thing being the Payee list in QM2018. This is a functionality that does NOT currently exist in QM2007 and I do not believe it is in QWin either (AFAIK), so is beyond the scope of this original IDEA thread. 

As I pointed out, it certainly would be a nice addition but should be recorded as a separate IDEA thread.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.) 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Michael Putzel
    Michael Putzel Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ruegs said:

I believe this is an essential feature.  It helps ensure the quality of registers and allows users to appropriately match transactions with relative ease.  I won't fully convert to the Mac version is included in a future release.

It's a reasonable request. 
  • Michael Putzel
    Michael Putzel Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Anyone who switched from Quicken for Windows to and of the Quickens for Mac before about two years ago understands the absolute necessity of rewriting the code from scratch. Now, since the split from Intuit, there seems to be a new focus on making Quicken for Mac work. I salute that effort. Sorry, however, that I'm being pushed out of Q4M 2017 to the cloud-based, annual subscription model of 2018. Good for them, not for me, but it seems to be the future of software.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Michael,

QM2018 is not cloud based. Only the online features are subscription (for Deluxe and above), and previous versions also had an expiration date for the online features and were therefore essentially subscription too. The online expiration changed from three years to 1-2 years depending on what you purchase. Pricing is about break even for those who upgrade every two years (to get new features), cheaper for those who upgrade every year, and more expensive for those who waited the full three years to upgrade.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    What do you define as online features? Bank downloading? I am still on QM 2007. Many of my bank downloads not requir two steps ( download the import). Some still will connect directly and import in one step. The main reason I stick with 2007 is the Transaction Detail report in 2007 is far more flexible than any of the newer versions. The newer versions do not start with the detail then let you slice and dice as needed.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Online features includes downloading from the bank and importing a file that you separately download from the bank. I don't know when the last time you evaluated the Transaction Detail report in the new versions, but it has gotten better. If you better describe what you mean by "slice and dice" we can try to explain if the newest reports can do it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Anyone who switched from Quicken for Windows to and of the Quickens for Mac before about two years ago understands the absolute necessity of rewriting the code from scratch. Now, since the split from Intuit, there seems to be a new focus on making Quicken for Mac work. I salute that effort. Sorry, however, that I'm being pushed out of Q4M 2017 to the cloud-based, annual subscription model of 2018. Good for them, not for me, but it seems to be the future of software.

Separating into standalone post for further discussion.

Please reference the new conversation here: QMac 2018
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited July 2018
    RickO said:

Michael,

QM2018 is not cloud based. Only the online features are subscription (for Deluxe and above), and previous versions also had an expiration date for the online features and were therefore essentially subscription too. The online expiration changed from three years to 1-2 years depending on what you purchase. Pricing is about break even for those who upgrade every two years (to get new features), cheaper for those who upgrade every year, and more expensive for those who waited the full three years to upgrade.

Moving to merge to new standalone post

Please reference the new conversation here: QMac
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited July 2018

What do you define as online features? Bank downloading? I am still on QM 2007. Many of my bank downloads not requir two steps ( download the import). Some still will connect directly and import in one step. The main reason I stick with 2007 is the Transaction Detail report in 2007 is far more flexible than any of the newer versions. The newer versions do not start with the detail then let you slice and dice as needed.

Moving to merge w/standalone post for this discussion.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving to merge
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited July 2018
    RickO said:

Online features includes downloading from the bank and importing a file that you separately download from the bank. I don't know when the last time you evaluated the Transaction Detail report in the new versions, but it has gotten better. If you better describe what you mean by "slice and dice" we can try to explain if the newest reports can do it. 

Moving to merge w/new discussion post.

Please reference the new conversation here: Moving to merge
  • KevinB
    KevinB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Upon review of some comments made by Quicken Marcus ("...the Mac has never had the comparative register... "), I just want to add for the record that it is NOT true that Quicken for Mac has never had this feature.

Since he only came on board starting with the development of Quicken 2015 for Mac onward, I can partly understand his statement, though this suggests there is a lack of knowledge of what QM2007 actually does, which dismays me (I would hope he would get to know that product better so as to understand what many Mac users are wanting).

As per the reason for this IDEA thread and the opening statement, this feature does exist in Quicken 2007 for Mac, and has existed there for a very long time. And as the number of votes clearly demonstrates, many users really want this (currently the 5th top requested feature out of hundreds; though the combined votes for full-featured customizable reports and features would bump that down a little). One (hopefully) obvious reason is that it provides far more control over and easier visibility to data flowing into Quicken, especially with large volumes of data and/or accounts.

All that said, the good news is that in the same post, Quicken Marcus has acknowledged seeking to add this as a feature in the future. 

I have the work arounds suggested, and others.  None of them are working and I cant get my transactions fixed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I used Quicken for windows and this was a critical feature for me.  I'm trying to determine which software to purchase for my new Mac.  This is making me rethink using Quicken.  Thinking they need to decide if they want to keep Mac users are not.  Macs are growing in numbers!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Because of a discussion elsewhere, I found that I was summarizing at least the highlights of why this feature is still so desired. So I am copying that reply for visibility here:

There are several key differences between this process vs the automatic acceptance of dowloaded transactions into the register (which is how QMac currently works):

I won't run them all off here but some differences and benefits include:
    • being able to have a different window layout, showing different columns, sorts, etc. for that process that are not necessary outside that process
    • being able to explore other parts of the account register independently without interfering or interrupting the download, matching and acceptance process
    • not having the balance of those transactions impact the account register until matching and acceptance of a transaction is complete. This is especially useful when there are either duplicate or unmatched or even incorrectly matched transactions.
    • both the automatic categorization and automatic matching processes can NEVER be 100% accurate because there is no way for these to account for all variations. So have a catchment to allow review before acceptance gives full control over the data affecting other already reviewed data.
    • when there are large volumes of data being downloaded (whether from a single month or when processing multiple months worth of data--this can happen quite a lot for some), the matching process is far easier to navigate since you do not have ALL the transactions from the register getting in the way. For people who are willing or able to download and reconcile very regularly, this becomes less important. Not all of us have that luxury.
    • a separate window allows you to the stop the process midstream and not lose track of what you are doing more easily... again not mixing in downloaded vs manual or other processed transactions unnecessarily.
    These are only highlights. Bottom line, there are many situations to which a separate download window lends itself far better than auto-acceptance and matching, which provides far more control and flexibility over the process and workflow, making the process far more efficient and effective in many situations.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Because of a discussion elsewhere, I found that I was summarizing at least the highlights of why this feature is still so desired. So I am copying that reply for visibility here:

There are several key differences between this process vs the automatic acceptance of dowloaded transactions into the register (which is how QMac currently works):

• being able to have a different window layout, showing different columns, sorts, etc. for that process that are not necessary outside that process
    • being able to explore other parts of the account register independently without interfering or interrupting the download, matching and acceptance process
    • not having the balance of those transactions impact the account register until matching and acceptance of a transaction is complete. This is especially useful when there are either duplicate or unmatched or even incorrectly matched transactions.
    • both the automatic categorization and automatic matching processes can NEVER be 100% accurate because there is no way for these to account for all variations. So have a catchment to allow review before acceptance gives full control over the data affecting other already reviewed data.
    • when there are large volumes of data being downloaded (whether from a single month or when processing multiple months worth of data--this can happen quite a lot for some), the matching process is far easier to navigate since you do not have ALL the transactions from the register getting in the way. For people who are willing or able to download and reconcile very regularly, this becomes less important. Not all of us have that luxury.
    • a separate window allows you to the stop the process midstream and not lose track of what you are doing more easily... again not mixing in downloaded vs manual or other processed transactions unnecessarily.
    These are only highlights. Bottom line, there are many situations to which a separate download window lends itself far better than auto-acceptance and matching, which provides far more control and flexibility over the process and workflow, making the process far more efficient and effective in many situations.

Very nice summary, SMayer. The third reason (bad matching) is the one that most affects me; it's very annoying when an incoming transaction matches the wrong register transaction, or when my bank says that something has cleared and I can't tell whether Quicken received the transaction from the bank or not.
  • plynnsch
    plynnsch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

This has been going on so long (the two years I've had a Mac) I have almost given up on Quicken. Thank you for the comment.
  • Larry Lien
    Larry Lien Member
    edited December 2018

I have been using Quicken Windows for over 15 years now and am trying to convert to the Mac version.  This is the *ONE* feature that is missing and one of the major features I use in Windows to do reconciliation of my receipts with transactions registered online.  If this feature is not included, I cannot see myself converting over to Mac at this time.  This is a key differentiator vs. other newer online versions that do not have this capability.  I sorta see it in the CLR column but every transactions comes in as cleared when it is downloaded.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

Quicken had been determined to ignore this request that simply restores a feature Quicken has had for years. I had been a fanboy and have been using Quicken almost since inception. This inaction by Quicken has caused me to begin using [removed - violation of guidelines], which is easy to use, more intuitive and robust, and is free.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

[removed - violation of guidelines]  Hopefully, I'll have the time before the new year and start the new year without having to deal with the Quicken issues - 
  • plynnsch
    plynnsch Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Thank you JWL. I’ll check it out!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Just keep in mind that one of the caveats about that service is that it is purely online, so your data is not stored locally. Also, if that service disappears, so does your data.

• Scott20
    Scott20 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Actually, Quicken Mac dada is stored locally. I too am a little concerned about the switch to an "annual service fee", but as of now you loose access to updates, not your data if they or you choose to cancel. 
  • Margin of Error
    Margin of Error Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

JWL, I'm not sure I understand your position. You are upset with quicken about the lack of the downloaded transaction workflow, as I am, but as a response you are moving to another product that also lacks that feature and other critical features like bill payment.

If there was another product (online or desktop) that was a good replacement for Quicken, I would switch. I've looked at most of the online products and they are weak. They have cool looking reports, but are basically unusable as a replacement for Quicken.

When I read all the glowing reviews of these online tools, I get the impression that they are mostly coming from paid shills.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

MOE, Fair points.

My position is I can pay an annual membership fee to Quicken for a product that does not have a feature I want.

Or I can enjoy a free product that does not have a feature I want.

It’s that simple.
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Quite a choice :-(
  • Margin of Error
    edited December 2018

JWL, I still don't get that. If you want this feature, then you care about transaction reconciliation. You can reconcile your transactions in Quicken, it would just be easier with the QWin and old QMac downloaded transaction workflow.

Saying that you are moving to the other online solution because Quicken does not have this feature is like saying you are moving to Photoshop because Quicken does not have this feature.
  • Scott20
    Scott20 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

I'm going to jump in on JWL's side here. My interpretation is that Quicken continues it's longstanding practice of delivering less to the Mac product than others, yet expects us to pay full fare. This just one of many features that are delinquent compared to all other Quicken products, including Mac 2007. We want to believe, we want to pay to keep the product heathy, but at what point are we proven the fool and move to a product we know is less featured, but also less cost? Not moving to Photoshop, just recognizing the Quicken has their cost benefit for this product out of whack compared to other solutions in the same category...
  • Margin of Error
    edited December 2018

Scott, I'm on that page. My question is more along the lines of how that other online product is a place to go from quicken.

Are there any online products that have any kind of transaction reconciliation?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

MOE. Good analogy! Using this logic, I will henceforth be using Photoshop to manage my finances going forward. Thx for the suggestion :) 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

I'm with JWL- why continue to support a company that ignores one product.  I think that QW is much better - so, my take is, why should I have to spend the money on Fusion or Parallels, or create an AWS EC2 to run a single application on Windows - because the Mac version is lacking and the company doesn't care.  It would be one thing if neither had the functionality or if the Mac side never had it - but it did.

And now they want a yearly subscription - no, I'm not sending them any more money I paid for the 2017 version and will continue to use it while evaluating the competitors -.  Unfortunately, posting the name(s) of competitors will get redacted as a violation of guidelines.