PayPal not working AGAIN!

Unable to connect with PayPal to download transactions. Re-enter credentials and same error. Credentials working fine when accessing PayPal online. This is similar to what happened several months back.
Screen shot of error;
Quicken for Mac 2017, Mac OS 10.13.4

Comments

• YaoshiYaoshi Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm experiencing this, too. Been troubleshooting with Quicken Tech Spt the past couple of hours. In the midst of troubleshooting, we ran into something I haven't seen before ... a captcha required by PayPal when reactivating my account. Seems like PayPal has changed its security routine. Quicken Tech Spt is escalating the matter as I'm posting this.
  • Reed WelchReed Welch Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the update, hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
  • Joe WasikJoe Wasik Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Quicken 2018 can't even tell me what the PayPal error is.  But when I click on "Learn More", it tells me CC-506.  The connection is a Express Web Connect.  PayPal has always been an intermittent Quicken client.  Maybe it's better to just enter transactions by hand.
  • Hank BatesHank Bates Member
    edited June 2018
    Why is the problem always with paypal?All other financial institutions together do not match the number of errors through pay"pal".
  • Raymond TurnerRaymond Turner Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have the same problem.  I can import the QIF file to my computer but it won't import to Quicken.  I get a quick green flash of the screen but nothing actually imports.  Could the bug be in Quicken 2018?  Platform is Windows 10.
  • Hank BatesHank Bates Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm running Q2017 in W10
  • YaoshiYaoshi Member
    edited May 2018
    All's well now. When I logged in to Quicken this morning, One Step Update ran smoothly without having to reset/deactivate any accounts. PayPal is no longer throwing the OL-221-A error.
    edited May 2018
    No improvement for me.  Quicken 2018. WIndows 10.image
  • StefferSteffer Member
    edited June 2018
    Same problem has been going on for several days now.  Any news from Quicken on a fix?
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Joe Wasik said:

Quicken 2018 can't even tell me what the PayPal error is.  But when I click on "Learn More", it tells me CC-506.  The connection is a Express Web Connect.  PayPal has always been an intermittent Quicken client.  Maybe it's better to just enter transactions by hand.

PayPal has always been problematic at best especially if you are paying  your PayPal account with a credit card.  I just avoid PayPal when possible and enter it manually when there is no other choice but to use PayPal.
  • ORBroncoFanORBroncoFan Member
    edited June 2018
    I to have the OL-221-A error with PayPal.  I can reset the account.  I can delete and setup download.  However, I get the "Object: LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT" log entry, and I can't download. 

imageimage
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled paypal ol-221-a.

This is the same issue appearing all over the board.

imageCONNLOG says LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT.  I've deleted and recreated the connection - successfully (no problem getting to PayPal for an online services connection). But updating always returns OL-221-A.  This has been happening for a few weeks.  I just updated to latest Quicken 2017 (on Win10) this morning (and I had to do a full cleanup and reinstall, but that's another QA-related story).  Still getting the error.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

imageCONNLOG says LEDGERBAL missing tag: BALAMT.  I've deleted and recreated the connection - successfully (no problem getting to PayPal for an online services connection). But updating always returns OL-221-A.  This has been happening for a few weeks.  I just updated to latest Quicken 2017 (on Win10) this morning (and I had to do a full cleanup and reinstall, but that's another QA-related story).  Still getting the error.

Hello ORBroncoFan.. 

Have you tried making a New Quicken File and try adding your PayPal account to see if the issue persists in a new environment?

Please let us know the outcome.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited June 2018

Yes.  Opened a new quicken file and successfully created a new PayPal account.  However upon 1st download, I still received the OL-221-A error, with the same log messages.
    edited June 2018

Hello ORBroncoFan,

I will look into this issue and see what is going on.

In the Interim, I would contact PayPal and see if anyone has contacted them regarding this issue.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
    edited June 2018

It's a bit of a surprise that Paypal works for some.  It hasn't worked for me in months and shows no signs of recovering.  Resets, other fixes have never worked.  Paypal went down the tubes when I agreed to their new credit service -- effectively creating a second Paypal account. I tried setting it up in Quicken as one and as two accounts.  Two accounts worked initially, then it quit and never resumed. Now I just don't use Paypal.  A simple solution.
    edited July 2018

It appears it's up to the customer to fix it with PayPal - Which is what Quicken states.  But that's like going to the grocery store and being told to contact the farmer because the lettuce is bad.  Quicken (or whatever you're called after Intuit sold you), acknowledge the accountability involved with offering a financial management tool, and take on the responsibility of ensuring your product works as advertised.  This shouldn't be your customers' issue to fix.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

It seems to me that Quicken Inc support should be handling these problems.

The connection type to PayPal is Express Web Connect.

That means that Quicken Inc is paying Intuit for this service, and that it is Intuit that is creating the QFX data sent to Quicken.

In other words, Intuit servers connect to PayPal, and get the data in "some form" (most likely not QFX format) and if needed translate it to QFX format that Quicken uses.

From the statement above:
    I to have the OL-221-A error with PayPal.  I can reset the account.  I
    can delete and setup download.  However, I get the "Object: LEDGERBAL
    missing tag: BALAMT" log entry, and I can't download.
    OL-221-A basically means that the data has a "syntax error" in it.  And clearly by the second part of the error message is missing the LEDERBAL field that is a required field.

If the connection type was Direct Connect then most likely this syntax error would be generated by the financial institution, and as such you would go to them and ask about it.

But the connection type is Express Web Connect, and most likely is an Intuit problem (but could also be a Quicken or PayPal problem).

The customer can't talk directly to Intuit for these problems.  Quicken Inc support has to do that.  And if the problem turns out that PayPal is actually generating the QFX data that is wrong, it is up to Intuit and Quicken Inc to represent the customer.
    In this case since it is highly unlikely that PayPal will talk to the customer directly about an interface they have with Intuit.

To add to this it is working for some, and not others.  I tried it and it is working for me.
    That suggests to me that the problem might actually be in Quicken, maybe sending the wrong request or something.  Or there is something about those exact accounts that have problem.

In any case the starting point should be Quicken support looking at the OFX and connection logs for the customers having problems.  And if it isn't a Quicken problem escalating the problem to Intuit.
  • S LomaxS Lomax Member
    edited September 2018

I am also having this problem.  It may work sometimes but eventually I start getting these errors and have to delete Paypal and then add it again.  It will usually work at least one time but then I have to do it all over again. 
    edited September 2018

Hello S Lomax, appreciate your question.

Are you using Quicken on a Mac or PC? Which version are you using?

What errors are you getting?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Gary HarrisGary Harris Member
    edited September 2018

I am not S Lomax but I am having the same problem.  Using Quicken 2018., R11.18, 27.1.11.18.  Quicken will not sync PayPal Extras MC. 
  • PlanethillPlanethill Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    For the record, I too am having this issue. 

Following this thread with great interest....
  • TW767TW767 Member
    edited October 2018
    Have been using Quicken for many years, now on Quicken 2019 and Express Web Connect has never downloaded PayPal transactions.  No error messages, update from account shows "requesting" and "receiving" but still no download.  Have to enter all my PayPal entries by hand.
  • KannanKannan Member
    edited October 2018
    I hope to stop using Paypal altogether until this gets fixed. So much time wasted in downloading the transactions manually and running CSV2QFX, etc
  • JeffJeff Member
    edited February 25
    I have literally tried everything; resetting, deactivating, deleting and nothing works. It appears to recognize my credentials and Quicken offers to link or add as an account but neither of those result in success either. After linking or adding when I go to the account menu to update the only option available is "set up online" even though Quicken indicated it had linked/added the account

[removed]

I can tell you I have not had a single connection problem to any of my accounts the whole time. And these are the same accounts I have in Quicken where its almost a weekly occurrence. That speaks loudly to the quality of the product.

• S LomaxS Lomax Member
    edited December 2018

I am still having the issue with Paypal errors and not updating. The only way I can get it to work is to delete it and then add it back and it usually only works once.  I am running year 2019, version R16.14, build 27.1.16.14.  I've gotten at least a couple of Quicken updates since I originally posted this problem.  
  • S LomaxS Lomax Member
    edited December 2018
    Jeff, Thanks for letting us know of a couple of alternatives to Quicken. I have been using Quicken probably since it first came out, years ago, but have too many issues with it anymore.  I feel like I'm getting into a fight every time I use it and am especially tired of trying to get paypal to work in it. 

• jbQ MediajbQ Media Member
    edited January 4
    I just had a terrific support session with Quicken support that resolved my PayPal failure to connect.
    Steps - Disconnect existing account. Add new PayPal Account.In the process, there's an option to "link to existing account."  
    Do that.
    Continue with the login...
    Problem solved.
  • jbQ Media said:
    I just had a terrific support session with Quicken support that resolved my PayPal failure to connect.
    Steps - Disconnect existing account. Add new PayPal Account.In the process, there's an option to "link to existing account."  
    Do that.
    Continue with the login...
    Problem solved.
    Problem comes back as soon as you try yo update again.
    Hello itmares. Appreciate your question.

Is it asking for a code? Can you explain what is happening when you are trying to download? Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator