Quicken loses cursor focus

Comments

• TPerk100TPerk100 Member
    edited July 2018
    REvelyn01 said:

What incentive do they have to fix it ?  We all keep complaining and using the software... Maybe we should lodge a complaint with the BBB.  Will anyone join me in a complaint  ?

I would too.
  • REvelyn01REvelyn01 Member
    edited July 2018
    REvelyn01 said:

What incentive do they have to fix it ?  We all keep complaining and using the software... Maybe we should lodge a complaint with the BBB.  Will anyone join me in a complaint  ?

Lets see who responds.  I will file the complaint if enough people say they will respond to it.  

I also have been using Quicken for 20 years.
  • ozzy032ozzy032 Member
    edited July 2018
    OldGuy555 said:

Try pop-up registers ( Edit>Preferences>Register>Register Appearance>use pop-up registers ). Works for me.
    [Comment: I've been using Quicken since I switched over from Dollars and Sense. That might have been in the '80s on a Mac. I have the impression they rebuilt the app completely a few years back and turned it into something that could run on the web.  I think it deteriorated badly then in quality and ease of use and remains so today. I've found that generally webtrash apps are a big step down from proper desktop/laptop applications. But maybe that's just my impression.]

Oh my goodness!! I've been dealing with this annoying issue for a couple years now and wasted so much time moving off the keyboard to the mouse, finding the cursor, moving the cursor, clicking the field, and then forgetting the amount I wanted to enter and having to do it all over again when I Alt-Tab back to my investment site. Using pop-up registers works for me and is going to be an amazing change! Thanks OldGuy555!! As Brent said, not perfect, but a vast improvement. Come on Quicken! Fix this!
  • Karl BurkumKarl Burkum Member
    edited January 23
    Part of CEO email today. Time will only tell. Proof is in the pudding!

Quality
    We are also focusing on product quality. With the shift to the membership model, we will continue to have new releases of Quicken each fall (Quicken 2019 coming soon!), but the improvements will already have been delivered to Members in our monthly releases (all members will always get the latest version of Quicken, including 2019 when available.) In addition, our emphasis, particularly on the more mature Windows platform, has shifted from new features to making existing functionality work better. Making Quicken work better involves smoothing out the user experience, improving performance (we have significantly sped up startup for Quicken for Mac and plan to do so for Quicken for Windows in the next few months), and, yes, fixing bugs. I believe this new approach has already enabled us to deliver the best Quicken versions ever, and we will continue to improve from here.
  • PierrePierre Member
    edited November 2018

Quality
    We are also focusing on product quality. With the shift to the membership model, we will continue to have new releases of Quicken each fall (Quicken 2019 coming soon!), but the improvements will already have been delivered to Members in our monthly releases (all members will always get the latest version of Quicken, including 2019 when available.) In addition, our emphasis, particularly on the more mature Windows platform, has shifted from new features to making existing functionality work better. Making Quicken work better involves smoothing out the user experience, improving performance (we have significantly sped up startup for Quicken for Mac and plan to do so for Quicken for Windows in the next few months), and, yes, fixing bugs. I believe this new approach has already enabled us to deliver the best Quicken versions ever, and we will continue to improve from here.

It seems that the "Quality Letter/Email" from Eric Dunn is issued on a regular basis. Just google for it. It seems like sales propaganda to me, and many others I am sure. All they care about is the subscription model, to ensure continued revenue. What they obviously don't understand, or choose to ignore, is that people will not continue to pay for a mediocre product that gets no bug fixes. So the subscriptions will eventually dry out.
    Like many others on this thread, I have Q data since 1990, with one account actually going back to 1987. I bet many of the current programmers at Quicken weren't born yet when some of us started using Quicken. They lack the skills to dig through code that has been written so long ago. It's not easy, I'll grant them that. It's far easier for them to add a new feature than to fix an old one, so they keep adding new features.
    So, this email from the CEO is just repeat hogwash in my opinion. I will absolutely positively not buy Q2019 unless someone can confirm that the major bugs are indeed fixed. To be honest I am not holding my breath on that one. I reluctantly went from Q2015 to Q2017 and didn't gain anything AT ALL. But I had not discovered this site at the time. That would have saved me the expense if I had.
  • Karl BurkumKarl Burkum Member
    edited January 23
    Maybe all of us on this thread should have something like "Prime Day" and all report the cursor losing focus issue using the in-app Quicken Help menu on the same day? Maybe the same day as Prime day - July 16? Call attention to it (yes, yet again), but in a concentrated manner?
  • Glen BodieGlen Bodie Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm sticking with 2015 H&B Canada. Should have stayed with 2012. No new features I need and the price has gone up from roughly 33 $/yr to $90/yr for the set of features I use. Minor change in work practice to deal with the fact that I can't import QFX files anymore. That $90 will increase (of course) and the $33 gets reduced yearly as I continue to use an old version that I paid for one time.
  • PierrePierre Member
    edited July 2018

Maybe all of us on this thread should have something like "Prime Day" and all report the cursor losing focus issue using the in-app Quicken Help menu on the same day? Maybe the same day as Prime day - July 16? Call attention to it (yes, yet again), but in a concentrated manner?

I am not convinced that blasting them on 1 day will do anything. They can simply ignore it, just like they have in the past for individual reports.

However shaming them on social media (Facebook, Twitter, ... whatever), i.e. publicly, would be far more reaching in my opinion. However I am no social media maven to know how to proceed. Anyone?
  • Jim ShortsJim Shorts Member
    edited September 2018

Quality

This is spot on.  Thanks.
  • Fan FamFan Fam Member
    edited July 2018
    Hello, start earning money by paid surveys.

http://www.clixsense.com/?8172285
    edited July 2018
    Fan Fam said:

Hello, start earning money by paid surveys.

http://www.clixsense.com/?8172285

SPAMMER
  • Jim StickneyJim Stickney Member
    edited September 2018
    Ten months and four merged conversations later, and still not a peep from Quicken and no solution for this bug.

"This new approach has already enabled us to deliver the best Quicken versions ever."

• Greg BrownGreg Brown Member
    edited September 2018
    "The Best Quicken Ever" has caused me to validate my data file(s) constantly due to issues with OSU either hanging or causing the software to CRASH. I spent 2 hours cleaning up issues that validate found last night...
  • edited August 2018
    I had found the use of Pop-up Registers to be an OK solution to the cursor focus issue.
    Quicken updated to version R10.11, Build 27.1.10.11 tonight. Now the registers are no longer remembering their last view settings and open in the upper left corner of the main window every time. Plus during reconciliation the register goes full screen. Or on occasion the register will resize to a smaller window randomly. (Rant Redacted)
  • Gary L AlfordGary L Alford Member
    edited July 2018
    Roy Levin said:

I have this problem too, with the 2018 version.  I go back and forth between Quicken and other apps all the time, usually during data entry, and having to reset the focus every time is extremely annoying.  This worked in Quicken 2017.

Copy / paste has nothing to do with the focus issue.  When I'm toggling between my online bank and Quicken, I have the same problem as everyone else - lost focus.  Which means I have to physically click in the Quicken window to regain focus.  The only way to overcome this is to have two separate monitors so I can read one and work in the other.  This was a problem in the new release of Quicken 2016.  When the concern was noted, it was corrected.  I've mentioned this problem multiple times with the 2018 version, as have many others (obviously) with no resolve.
    edited July 2018
    Roy Levin said:

I have this problem too, with the 2018 version.  I go back and forth between Quicken and other apps all the time, usually during data entry, and having to reset the focus every time is extremely annoying.  This worked in Quicken 2017.

Multiple monitors does not help. I have 3 27 in and when using Quicken on one screen, I cannot hardly keep track of my cursor, especially when going back and forth.
  • Dewey CheatemDewey Cheatem Member
    edited September 2018
    Yet another update with no resolution to this issue.

Where are the Quicken representatives who monitor and police this board.  Not as single comment in all these months?
  • Jason ShortJason Short Member
    edited July 2018

Where are the Quicken representatives who monitor and police this board.  Not as single comment in all these months?

LOL, thanks for the Monday morning laugh.
  • Dewey CheatemDewey Cheatem Member
    edited July 2018

Funnier still, since this new update the pop up window no longer remembers its last size and location.  The functionality is now even worse than it was before. I wish I was in a business with little or no competition. Must be nice
  • Jason ShortJason Short Member
    edited September 2018

Yep, like doing business with the Government!
  • REvelyn01REvelyn01 Member
    edited July 2018

you all realize that if Quicken fixed this bug - we would have nothing to complain about...  Thank you Quicken for giving us the opportunity to complain about something. 
    edited September 2018

Tip of the iceberg...
  • DurDur Member
    edited August 2018
    Don't need a CEO who is good at taking our $ and useless run-on paragraphs. We need a developer who can fix a VERY SIMPLE problem.
    edited August 2018
    Another update yesterday to Q17 (Build 26.1.17.1) and problem STILL not resolved. Am a heavy user. This is Very aggravating.
  • Michael EckMichael Eck Member
    edited September 2018
    I also have this problem. It's been driving me nuts for too long! Please, please, please fix this.
    edited September 2018

I also have this problem. It's been driving me nuts for too long! Please, please, please fix this.

When pigs fly... Quicken will fix it. I have given up!
    edited September 2018
    It's unbelievable that they don't care about fixing such an annoying, easy to fix problem. I have been with Quicken for over 20 yrs, and am now looking at alternatives. Finally there is at least one GOOD alternative.
  • Gary L AlfordGary L Alford Member
    edited January 23
    I just got off the phone with Quicken Support.  Apparently, no one from Quicken Technical Support has seen these comments (yeah, right).  The agent I spoke with was shocked at all the comments posted to this thread.  He asked other technicians and was told there is a virus on their end and the responsibility to override the virus was for the end users to make sure they have virus protection on our end.  I argued the point stating that a virus on Quicken's end is Quicken's responsibility and to allow a virus to continue for so long without being eradicated and the issue repaired looks bad on Quicken.  There is now a service ticket issued to address the problem.  Ticket number 02070857 if anyone would like to track it.
    edited September 2018

I just got off the phone with Quicken Support.  Apparently, no one from Quicken Technical Support has seen these comments (yeah, right).  The agent I spoke with was shocked at all the comments posted to this thread.  He asked other technicians and was told there is a virus on their end and the responsibility to override the virus was for the end users to make sure they have virus protection on our end.  I argued the point stating that a virus on Quicken's end is Quicken's responsibility and to allow a virus to continue for so long without being eradicated and the issue repaired looks bad on Quicken.  There is now a service ticket issued to address the problem.  Ticket number 02070857 if anyone would like to track it.

Laughable... I am taking bets on nothing changing !
  • Jim StickneyJim Stickney Member
    edited September 2018

That's absolute nonsense. That's someone desperately trying to blame the boogey-man instead of blaming themselves. It's been nearly a year now and they're going to blame a virus? Please.

This is a coding error. A coding error that had been fixed and was working correctly, and then an update caused a regression that has been in the production stream for nearly a year now.

If they're going to make us pay for Beta software, then they ought to at least provide a proper bug tracking database.