quicken online web interface (27 Legacy Votes)

Robert IIRobert II Member
Does quicken have an online web interface to access my account data, similar to the software and mobile app?  Are there any plans for the future to add that feature?

(Continuation of previous conversation Online Version)
0 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• RickORickO ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    No, but you could remotely log into the computer that holds your Quicken file and access it that way. 

See this:

Mac Remote Desktop Software
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97smayer97 ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You can add your VOTE for Online version of Quicken.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jacobsjacobs ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    There were reports last year that they were working on developing an online product. The only thing confirmed about it publicly was that Quicken was not going to move the desktop product to be an online product; they understand many current users do not want their financial data stored online. That said, it's not clear what may will come out with, or when, nor whether it will integrate the current desktop programs and online, or be online only.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • George LoweGeorge Lowe Member
    edited June 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need online version of quicken.

Create an online version of Quicken to permit access by spouse in different locations (e.g. multiple residences, business and vacation travel.  Or, provide a personal accounting system within Quicken
  • Robert IIRobert II Member
    edited August 2018
    I figured somebody had already asked, but I searched around and couldn't find any info on a quicken web interface.  Thanks
    edited June 2018
    There are a significant number of Quicken users who are adamantly opposed to having all their financial data, and their account passwords, stored on any cloud-based system. Additionally, the core programming logic of Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac are heavily tied to the native Windows and Mac operating systems. Bottom line: they need a separately-developed product for those users who would prefer a web-based Quicken. There was a small amount of information sometime last year that they seemed to be working on such a system. We have no idea what that will be, or when it may emerge as a product. Management clearly knows there is interest in such a product; the questions are how much effort it would take to create, and how large the market is considering there are free personal finance programs also on the market.
  • Robert IIRobert II Member
    edited August 2018
    Just to expand on my reasoning I absolutely want the desktop app to have my data locally, which is one reason why I prefer quicken over mint.  Everything I take seriously in my computing life (movies, music, photos, money...) I keep on my macs and backup locally too.  I don't mind having my data in the cloud and it has to be in the cloud now.  How else would my mobile app and desktop app be synced.  The desire for an online interface is for secondary uses.  Such that I can access my data at work or on a business trip so that I don't have to lug 2 laptops around (my mac and my work pc).  

Maybe I'm old now... but I've used mint and I don't like the data mining I assume they are doing with my finances then plastering advertising within my check register and off to the side (Brawndo, it's the stuff plants crave).  There's really no option for cash forecasting and future transactions.  At least the last time I used it (maybe a year or 2 ago) it didn't.
    edited June 2018
    Robert II said:

Just to expand on my reasoning I absolutely want the desktop app to have my data locally, which is one reason why I prefer quicken over mint.  Everything I take seriously in my computing life (movies, music, photos, money...) I keep on my macs and backup locally too.  I don't mind having my data in the cloud and it has to be in the cloud now.  How else would my mobile app and desktop app be synced.  The desire for an online interface is for secondary uses.  Such that I can access my data at work or on a business trip so that I don't have to lug 2 laptops around (my mac and my work pc).  

Maybe I'm old now... but I've used mint and I don't like the data mining I assume they are doing with my finances then plastering advertising within my check register and off to the side (Brawndo, it's the stuff plants crave).  There's really no option for cash forecasting and future transactions.  At least the last time I used it (maybe a year or 2 ago) it didn't.

Your data needs to live primarily in one place. In the current model, that's on your desktop, with the mobile app having a subset of your data and the ability to sync any changes you make in the cloud data to your primary data on your desktop computer. Most of the complex stuff with the database -- deep searches, reports, analysis -- is done with the desktop app, where the database and user interface are deeply integrated with the macOS or Windows operating systems. It's unlikely they could provide all the tools of desktop Quicken in the existing mobile app architecture.

Quicken actually did a short-lived test of a system where the desktop software ran on virtual machines in the cloud -- sort of like if you today used remote access/screen sharing software to view and control your home computer. Things apparently went badly enough with that approach that they pulled the plug on that idea pretty quickly.

In an alternate model, all your data could live in the cloud, and you could access it from anywhere. That requires a complete redevelopment of a new client-server database architecture with a cloud-based server talking to a browser-based user interface. This is what I'm guessing they are working on developing now, as an alternative (but not replacement) for desktop Quicken.
  • William OldakerWilliam Oldaker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Because I have grown to employ Quicken for all my financial bookkeeping, I am employing desktop quicken with database resident on OneDrive. 
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold ✭✭✭✭ Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Because I have grown to employ Quicken for all my financial bookkeeping, I am employing desktop quicken with database resident on OneDrive. 

Moving to a new thread to bring more ability to respond to your issue.

Please reference the new conversation here: Quicken in OneDrive
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • GasportGasport Member
    edited October 2018
    I just don't see Quicken doing this right now.   I don't believe they have the manpower even if they chose to do this.  Look how long they have been trying to bring the Mac version of Quicken to parity with the Windows version..  I am a long time user of first the Windows version and then the Mac version.  I am quite content using the desktop version over a cloud based version.  Let them concentrate on achieving parity between the current products.
    edited June 2018
    Gasport said:

I just don't see Quicken doing this right now.   I don't believe they have the manpower even if they chose to do this.  Look how long they have been trying to bring the Mac version of Quicken to parity with the Windows version..  I am a long time user of first the Windows version and then the Mac version.  I am quite content using the desktop version over a cloud based version.  Let them concentrate on achieving parity between the current products.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, they did say last year that they were working on something like this. They didn't spill a lot of details, so we don't know exactly what they're working on, if they're still working on it, when it might come to market, whether it would interact with the current Quicken desktop or be completely separate -- basically no details beyond knowing it's something they were doing some work on. 
  • QPWQPW ✭✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Gasport said:

They might have hinted at bringing out a "web Quicken", but I predict if they do almost no one will care for it.
    Of the people that would like an online Quicken most would actually prefer a mobile app over a web based version.
    I will give you a 99.999% chance that the Quicken people hinting at the web based Quicken were basically thinking about putting a web interface on the existing Quicken mobile system.  Not a full blown Quicken.  It is for this reason I don't believe this will ever fly (or "fly high").
    When I think of Quicken I think of these main parts.
    1. Database
    2. GUI
    3. Reports
    4. Download system.
    Almost nothing will be usable to a web based version of Quicken.
    Going from the Desktop to web or to mobile is a rewrite of the GUI.The database is also not possible to be used.  Same for the report system.

Of course the server side of the Download system can be the same, but most likely the download system in the program itself has to be written again.
    Add to this problem that people would want all the existing (Desktop and mobile) to sync.
    If you look at the sync between the Desktop and mobile you see right away that not all the data is synced. In fact most is not synced.  So it isn't even just a matter of adding the GUI controls.  They have to extend the existing syncing system (and make it a whole lot faster than the existing one).
    The Quicken development team have yet to impress me as "magical".  Quicken mobile was added to Quicken 2013 (mostly as a port from the Mint mobile app).  It is now 2018 and very little has been added to it.  In fact it has gone backwards not forward.  Whatever server systems it is using would surely be used as the basis for a web based version.
    So unless Quicken mobile all of a sudden gets a whole lot of features, you should expect any Quicken web to be very similar.
  • lablover57lablover57 ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I  wouldn't  want an web-based version.
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
    edited August 2018

Then all you have to do is not vote for it. ;-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited June 2018

The Quicken folks, in the little bit they talked about a future online product, made very clear that they would not be turning the current desktop products into web-based  programs. So those who don't want a web-based Quicken, simply carry on; the company isn't transforming it.
  • Elliott NielsenElliott Nielsen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Online Version.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Idea: Quicken for Web.Here's an idea.  Why not just make a web version of Quicken complete with all of the features available in Mac and Windows versions (merge features from both together).  Then all that is needed is to create iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac interface apps that have the ability to update while offline and then sync up when connection to the internet is re-established.  This would make the whole subscription based service a lot more feasible and more worthwhile.  

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there any plans to add savings goals to Quicken for Mac.? It's been alluded to....

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Need online version of quicken.
  • Elliott NielsenElliott Nielsen Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

It looks like I have come full circle.  I had to get my daughter a cheap little Lenovo for her Computer Science homeschool class and then she decided to drop that class, removing the need for the computer.  So I decided to commandeer the Lenovo, downloaded Quicken Deluxe and installed it.  So I am back to using Quicken for Windows because of how inferior the Mac version is.  I really think the best avenue to take is to duplicate what was done with QuickBooks (before Quicken was spun off on it's own) and create a web version of it.  I'm willing to subscribe to such a service, so that I can access my financial information from any web connected computer or iOS device.  It might even behoove Quicken to create a stand alone app that can be used when internet connectivity isn't available and then sync up when a connection is available.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there any plans to add savings goals to Quicken for Mac.? It's been alluded to....
    edited July 2018

It looks like I have come full circle.  I had to get my daughter a cheap little Lenovo for her Computer Science homeschool class and then she decided to drop that class, removing the need for the computer.  So I decided to commandeer the Lenovo, downloaded Quicken Deluxe and installed it.  So I am back to using Quicken for Windows because of how inferior the Mac version is.  I really think the best avenue to take is to duplicate what was done with QuickBooks (before Quicken was spun off on it's own) and create a web version of it.  I'm willing to subscribe to such a service, so that I can access my financial information from any web connected computer or iOS device.  It might even behoove Quicken to create a stand alone app that can be used when internet connectivity isn't available and then sync up when a connection is available.

Elliott, if you read the thread above which your comment has now been merged into, you will see three basic facts about this idea:

(1) Some people very much want an online service like you're asking for, but a lot of users adamantly want to keep their data and bank passwords on their local computers rather than in an online service.

(2) Because there is no solution that serves both groups of users, Quicken has mentioned doing work on creating some separate online product, while leaving the desktop applications untouched. We have no idea when such a new product might become available, or what its feature set will be.

(3) The existing Mac and Windows products are very tightly tied to the operating systems they run on, from their databases to their screen interfaces. There is no quick path to move the current single-user, desktop-based products to a massively-scaled online product; the entire thing needs to be architected differently from the ground up. Since you've seen how difficult it has been to build the next-generation Mac product from the ground up in recent years, you can imagine the amount of work involved in building an online version with Mac, Windows, iOS and Android front ends. That's not to say it won't happen, only that it's a very big development job. As older users age out of using Quicken and younger users expect to be able to do their work anytime from anywhere, it seems inevitable that they will need to have an online product in the future.
    edited July 2018

I will point out one more thing related to QuickBooks oppose to Quicken.

QuickBooks was "for businesses" as as such from day one was written in the server/client methodology.  Quicken on the other hand was "for a single user".

The result is that in QuickBooks the "backend" and the "GUI" are separated.In Quicken it is all tightly integrated.  As in I would suspect that the "GUI code" "knows" a lot about the underline database queries (too much).

As such it was much easier to convert QuickBooks to a web based version because all the interfaces already expected to talk to a "remote server".

BTW not only is QuickBooks "client/server" it also has a lot of API so that external developers can add functionality.
  • Ron MorrisRon Morris Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Web Based Quicken.

Quicken would be so much better if I didn't have to log onto it with a brick setting on my lap or desk.
    It's 2017 and I can do everything in the palm of my hand from ordering gifts and prescriptions to researching how to fix my car. Even my three year old granddaughter uses a palm device!
    Quicken, if you want to sell "subscriptions" (yes I said subscriptions) to your software, then you better be ready for my granddaughter because she won't be using pc or mac. She will have all of her tools on the cloud at the palm of her hand.
    I believe in this software and have been using it for decades (1995 I think). I have tried them all and there is NOTHING that compares. The only reason I keep a laptop around is for Quicken. 
    Quicken, it's time to make that jump up here with the rest of society. Make your stuff web based. We all would be much happier. Well, most of us anyway. And I am sure with the right marketing there will me more of us "Quickenatticts". :)

Just my thoughts,
    Ron
  • Quicken KellyQuicken Kelly Member, Employee
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Web Based.

Hi all, 

My name is Kelly and I am a product manager at Quicken, focusing on our web based product. We do currently have a product that is in Beta. The above email is a bit outdated and the requirements are no longer the same - the only true requirement is that you must be using Quicken 2018 (Quicken Member). 

If any of you are interested in testing out the beta application you can send me an email directly to: [email protected]

Best, 
    Kelly

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Web Based Quicken.
  • Jerry_Jerry_ ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Web Based Quicken Merge.

Ah, I just knew that my Post would draw a response from the Quicken Web Team. Thanks. (grin)

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Web Based.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
    edited July 2018

Quicken would be so much better if I didn't have to log onto it with a brick setting on my lap or desk.
    It's 2017 and I can do everything in the palm of my hand from ordering gifts and prescriptions to researching how to fix my car. Even my three year old granddaughter uses a palm device!
    Quicken, if you want to sell "subscriptions" (yes I said subscriptions) to your software, then you better be ready for my granddaughter because she won't be using pc or mac. She will have all of her tools on the cloud at the palm of her hand.
    I believe in this software and have been using it for decades (1995 I think). I have tried them all and there is NOTHING that compares. The only reason I keep a laptop around is for Quicken. 
    Quicken, it's time to make that jump up here with the rest of society. Make your stuff web based. We all would be much happier. Well, most of us anyway. And I am sure with the right marketing there will me more of us "Quickenatticts". :)

Just my thoughts,
    Ron

Ron, Just understand that as strongly as you would like to have an entirely web-based Quicken, there are many Quicken users who feel adamantly the opposite. (Because Quicken has all your financial information, and especially your logins to all your financial accounts, many users do not want that info stored in the cloud and want it to continue to be stored only on their desktop.)

So the folks at Quicken have to try to navigate their products to serve the desires of these two divergent wishes.

For now, from what they've said, they are not going to eliminate the need for the desktop product, but they are going to create a more robust online companion, which will be accessible from both an app and a website. for those who want desktop only, no problem. For those who want to access more of their data from anywhere than the existing mobile app allows, this will aim to do that. But it will not be a complete cloud-only version of Quicken, from what they have indicated.
    edited July 2018

Just my thoughts,
    Ron

And as such one has to wonder why no other company has been able to put out that "prefect cloud based personal finance apps" that would have features similar to Quicken.  It isn't like Quicken is "magical".  Anyone that buys and uses it for a while can figure out the feature set.

If there isn't some "secret" for how to do this what is it that stops companies/people from doing it?  Is really "resources"?  Intuit has more "resources" than Quicken Inc, and still Mint lacks a lot of Quicken features.

I think the answer lies in two places.  One is that in fact the people that like these kind of apps don't really care about the same things that the people using Quicken think are essential.

And the second part is that it has taken years of development to build up these features.  And no one wants to put that kind of effort into an "app", especially when that generation expects all apps to either be free or like less than $10.

And make no mistake, Quicken Inc can't "move Quicken to the web or app" by just taking the existing Quicken code and "porting it".  It is pretty much a total rewrite.  Which in turn means years of work.  Look at the development of Quicken Mac since their rewrite starting in 2007.

So, maybe if Quicken Inc decides to go full tilt into this, then just maybe when your granddaughter is going off to college there will be a full blown Quicken mobile/web.
    edited July 2018

Just my thoughts,
    Ron

For a fairer and truer assessment of the development time for QMac, the current version is built on QEM, circa 2010. It took about 1-2 yrs of development. Then it stalled and was not picked up again until about 2013/14.

And since then, there has been the separation from Intuit that has consumed a lot of resources and diversions from developing user desired features. And all this with a development team that was significantly smaller than the QWin team, even with its latest additions. 

So in reality, it would be more like development is the equivalent of starting in 2012 or even 2013. So it really has been only about the equivalent of 5+ yrs of focused development, if that. That said, there is still a long road ahead, so your point is still valid.

edited July 2018

Just my thoughts,
    Ron

Here is how I see it, and why I included the "dead time".
    First off Quicken Essentials rewrite.  2 years, and maybe a bit more when it first came out (brings you to about 2009).

On and off for the next few years.  This is "dead time", but I will point out that I don't think you can just remove it from any example of how long things happen.

What basically happened it is came out, and in comparison people didn't buy it.  So management "lost interest" in it.  I content that this is part of the development cycle.  You can't only count the development time.  This is a business and they have to decide what to work on and how much to put into it.  Cycles like that are normal.

Imagine if the "Quicken Web" was introduced as a standalone product, but only had the feature set of the current Quicken mobile.  Do you think the cycle would be any different?  People wouldn't pay for it, and Quicken Inc would basically have to decide if it is worth it to continue it, discontinue, or maybe put less into it.

Picking up then there was about a 1 year rewrite, because in the meantime yet another Apple API became obsolete.

Then they first introduced the first new "Year" version.  Which basically went over the same way, no one buying it.  People still just bought Quicken 2007 Mac.  It wasn't until about a year or two later when the decided "it has enough features", that they basically started forcing the issue by making it pretty clear that Quicken 2007 Mac was going away.  And in fact it "went away" twice.  As in they killed it for missing API in the new MacOS, and then the out cry was so great, that they found a way to prolong it.  But on the second "death" it has finally really been killed.

This is an important cycle to the business.  It is the point where the development time actually started paying off for them.  Businesses can't go forever without being paid.

And you seem to want to exclude Quicken being sold.  Well there were other similar disruptions that happen all the time too.  We (the customers in the forum) saw Quicken software managers come and go very frequently.  Marcus came, went, and then came back.  Why?  Because in fact it isn't alway rosy to work on stuff like this, and you do have turn over.  And if Quicken Inc listened to some customers, they would have them firing the whole development, QA, and support staff.

I can tell you one thing, if I was managing the Quicken Windows development group, I would do everything I could to shield them from the Quicken customers.  I'm sure the majority are nice people, but a lot of the most vocal are done right nasty.  And if you look at the feedback they get, they aren't doing anything right.  It would be very hard to work in an environment like that.  Especially when there are other jobs to be had.

The point is that maybe you might be able to remove some of this time and blame it on the bad practices of Intuit. But in reality this happens all the time and is "normal", and I think it should be included in any realistic prediction.

I will tell you something else about rewriting software that has as long of a development cycle as Quicken does.

Developers love to rewrite software.  They love it because it allows them to drop what they believe is some stupid decisions of the past, and to use new tools and techniques that look much better on their resumes.

But what happens is that in fact they aren't any smarter than the developer "of old", and over the years they will be taking to create the new version the same forces will be in play.  For instance Apple/Microsoft changing out APIs, and designing a feature or framework of the program only to be pushed into mangling it to allow for request from the users that don't really care what about what was designed.

And you have managers and even developer that take the word soft in software literally and think that you can change anything you like.  Whereas in reality a software framework is very much like a framework/foundation for a house.  If you put in a foundation for a single family home, I doubt you will get any arguments that you shouldn't put a 50 store building on it.

But in software if you put in a "single user personal finance" framework there will always be people questioning why you can't just turn into a multiple user system.

I hope Quicken Inc proves me wrong on my predictions, but I doubt it.
  • ReneeViehmannReneeViehmann Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.

It would be great for future versions to be web-based so that we can access our Quicken file from any computer at any time without having to install the software.  It seems the foundation is already there with the (lame) mobile app and the ability to sync.   Also, I believe QuickBooks already has this feature so why not extend it to home users.
  • AbbottAbbott Member
    edited August 2018

Terrible idea! 
    The reason I use Quicken instead of various online financial planning "solutions" is because I can use it WITHOUT the internet. 
    Despite having DSL, Cellular and Satellite Internet sources at my location, sometimes I have NO Internet because of poor municipal infrastructure.  In the best of times, my signal is very slow and unreliable. 
    Please DO NOT make Quicken dependant on the internet any more than it is already.  

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.
    edited October 2018
     Also, I believe QuickBooks already has this feature so why not extend it to home users.
    1. QuickBooks is owned by Intuit, Quicken by Quicken Inc.
    2. QuickBooks was written from ground up to be a client/server application, Quicken is a single user application with its GUI tightly integrated into everything, which would make it very hard to separate out.
     It seems the foundation is already there with the (lame) mobile app and the ability to sync.  
    And so you have a "lame" foundation.  So what does that give you?

Mint has a better foundation, and it still isn't Quicken.  Where is the magic that takes years of work to develop Quicken features and all of the sudden they appear in your web only Quicken?

Quicken is going to a "web based app" similar to the Quicken Mobile app "shortly", but for that to turn into a full blown web-based Quicken would take many years of development, and may never happen.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.
This discussion has been closed.