Will there be a Quicken Home and Business for Mac in the future? (213 Legacy Votes +1 Merged Vote)

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

Thanks for putting a vote for a Home and Business version.  Anyone else interested in this?  We still have quite a bit of functionality to add to Quicken for Mac just to get it even close to Quicken Windows so the reality is it may be some time before we get there but would love to find out how many people are interested in this.

Donald: it may sound bogus, but no one is "blocking this feature." The developers have a massive list of feature requests from users. they prioritize and tackle them as quickly as they can. I think that Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports are asked for by a reasonable number of users, but it doesn't rank as high as other things they have prioritize to do first.

One issue with reports is that they have been working over the past year to build out the features of the new reports engine. For instance, earlier this year, they added the ability to control which columns are included in various reports. They still have more work to do on allowing use control of formatting printed reports. From some comments made by the product manager, I believe they decided to focus on trying to get the reports features complete and right first, then to expand the number of reports. So things like Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports are likely to follow once they get the core functionality of the reports engine complete. The long wait for these reports features is certainly annoying; the only positive is that there are ongoing signs they're making progress. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Alexandre Houcke
    Alexandre Houcke Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for putting a vote for a Home and Business version.  Anyone else interested in this?  We still have quite a bit of functionality to add to Quicken for Mac just to get it even close to Quicken Windows so the reality is it may be some time before we get there but would love to find out how many people are interested in this.

Yes, I am considering moving from Windows PC, running Home & Business (version 2016) to a Mac but the data is critical for me - am starting to look at Quickbooks Premier to have some of the business functionality but then cannot run personal finance.  Quickbooks Home and Business has been (is on Windows) a perfect solution for my small business.... please consider adding the Mac version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I've been using virtual box to keep using Quicken Home and Business and would LOVE to be able to use on my Mac! It's not the same at all... 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

You should def get quicken home and biz for mac. At the very least a cloud version.
    Like one other person says. Apple is the computer of choice for many people. I dumped my pc at the end of 2017 and like that person I have a small biz and have to run windows on my mac to use quicken. It blows. please come out with home and biz for mac. Or like I said a cloud version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

YES!  I am interested in Quicken Home & Business for Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I too am waiting for a Mac version of Home & Business. I'm not sure if it's Quicken, Windows or both, too many issues with the windows version. I also switched to a Mac, less problems, runs better, I've honestly had it with windows. I have H&B 2016 for windows, the only time I use any windows products now. I won't upgrade my home & business until the Mac version comes out. If there's no Mac then I will have to start looking elsewhere, too many problems with the windows version. Just attempting to create an invoice is an ordeal. John
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, please.  We need a Mac version of Home & Business!! Do you have any progress update for the Mac world?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

You can add my name to the list!! There's simply nothing else out there comparable for us Mac-based small business folks. Looks like Quicken could own the market!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I just switched to a Mac and I am very disappointed that Home & Business is not available.  I really don't want to run Windows on the Mac so I may need to keep my old PC just for Quicken. And here I thought I was simplifying my life by using all Apple products!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I guess I will be looking at Quickbooks, it does both.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Quicken 2018 home and business for mac is it really being formatted?  These responses of yes, we're working on it are too vague. Can MAC users get a real timeline? FYI, most accountants request for their clients to use quicken but we can't as of right now.

We need quicken H & B for MAC. We left Windows for a reason!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, Please! I as well need a Mac version of Home and Business!
  • jacobs
    edited November 2019

Quicken 2018 home and business for mac is it really being formatted?  These responses of yes, we're working on it are too vague. Can MAC users get a real timeline? FYI, most accountants request for their clients to use quicken but we can't as of right now.

@nca interiors: Quicken has never had a Home and Business product for the Mac platform. This two-year old thread started the request for such a version, and the second post in the thread is from the Quicken Mac product manager seeking feedback to help him assess the demand for such a product. He wrote: "Thanks for putting a vote for a Home and Business version.  Anyone else interested in this?  We still have quite a bit of functionality to add to Quicken for Mac just to get it even close to Quicken Windows so the reality is it may be some time before we get there but would love to find out how many people are interested in this."

Subsequently, Quicken has never stated whether they will or will not eventually create a Home and Business version for the Mac. Since it would be built with added features on top of Quicken Premier, the thinking has been that if they decide there's enough of a market for it, they would work on creating it after the core Mac product was pretty close to parity with the Windows version -- and we haven't yet reached that point.

So, just to be clear: Quicken has never said "yes, we're working on it" regarding a Mac Home and Business version. We don't know if they will create it, and if so, when it would come out. Based on their ongoing work to add needed functionality to the core Mac product, it seems likely that any Home and business version, if they decide to invest the time to create one, is still a long way off.
  • Rick9
    Rick9 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I agree. The only reason I have Windows (and Parallels to support Windows) on my Mac is to run Quicken H&B. If a H&B version were to be released for the Mac (along with a way to migrate my Quicken Windows data file), I’d jump on it in a heartbeat, and I would recommend to my Mac clients to do the same!
  • lisa
    lisa Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

been waiting for a decent mac alternative since the 80's--can we PLEASE get the same functionality for mac as for windows.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

The Mac has been a serious business machine for at least the last 15 years. I am starting a small business and am very surprised and disappointed that Quicken is only now discovering that many people use the Mac. 
  • jacobs
    edited November 2019

Skip, if you read more of this thread, you'll see it's not at all that Quicken is "only now discovering many people use the Mac." Of course, they have sales and registration stats, so they know exactly the breakdown among Quicken users.

The real issue is that they have been re-creating Quicken Mac from the ground-up, after having to abandon 2+ decades of code development in order to develop a program for the modern macOS. And being a complex program, it's been a long, slow process. That's why Quicken Mac lags behind Quicken Windows in functionality.

In order to create a Home and Business version for the Mac, the developers first have to complete the development of the base Quicken Mac product to be close to the Windows version before they can build the additional Home & Business features. Then they have to estimate how many people-days of development it would take, and whether the sales would make that development effort pay off. Clearly, there are some users who would welcome a Mac Home & Business version, but the question they have to answer is if the market is large enough. (And keep in mind that people switching from Quicken Windows is just shuffling their revenue, not expanding it.)
  • MK66
    MK66 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

yes i would take it in a second. Please make itASP
  • MK66
    MK66 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

My quicken just stopped working on my mac.   Is there anything out there that will work on Mac?
    Am tired of fighting to try and get it to function 
    Thanks, 
    Anna M. 

Agreed, ASP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I've posted here before and realize that it's basically forum for venting and it will not change anything. However, I just found out that QuickBooks Desktop version for Mac has been discontinued as of the 2016 release and support will end in 2019. NOW is the time for them to make a Quicken for home and business for mac, but of course they won't

For those who are interested, there is now quickbooks for Mac- 2019 desktop. I just purchased it and don't find it very intuitive. Would prefer Quicken-home and business for MAC. Maybe someday . . . 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
     All I want for Christmas is Home & Business for Mac native.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I just upgraded to H&B from Premier.  After downloading the windows version, which I run under Parallels on the Mac, I decided to try the mac version and see how it looked.  To my surprise, when I ran the Mac version, it came up with "Quicken Home & Business" in the About screen.  See screen capture attached.  Is this a stealth version? I haven't seen an announcement and its not available for purchase on the Quicken website.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Congratulations... you now have Quicken H&B for Mac!

Except, not really! 
  • jacobs
    edited November 2019

That’s interesting, in a kind of weird way. There is no Home & Business version of the Mac application at this time. It seems that they consider “Home and Business” to be your *membership level* and not the actual software product.

I would guess there is only a single software application for the Mac, and the membership level determines if there are features you don’t have access to. There’s little or no difference between Deluxe and Premier at this point, and the limitations on Starter could simply be handled by the software disabling some functionality. This makes it much simpler to develop and fix bugs when there’s only a single codebase they work on (which was a driving reason behind the switch to subscriptions).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

As a landlord we have always kept track of our properties with an older version of Quicken for Mac and used the Job/Project reports frequently. Each property was a separate Class. We have recently upgraded to a new Mac and Quicken 2019. It's very difficult to use without this feature and would upgrade in a minute to Quicken Home and Business for Mac if only to be able to use the Job/Project Report.
    Ron Schmitt
  • Bill Robertson3
    Bill Robertson3 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
     I want Quicken Home & Business on MAC. Need to get off this old machine.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
     At this point in time, the only way you are going to do that is to run some Windows emulation software or Virtual Machine software to run Windows and Quicken H&B for Windows on a Mac.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
     I'm using Home and Business 2016, but I'm not using the 'home and business' features anymore. Quicken for Mac seems like the best way to go without all the virtual machine hassle...Will my data convert over to use in Quicken for Mac?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
     I do believe it can but you will lose data related to Home and Business features (among other data too).

If you decide to migrate your data, you do need to convert. Since your data is from QW2010 or newer, the mechanics are quite simple...copy data file over to Mac. Open data file with QM2017/QM2018. The built-in conversion process will step you through but there are a few things you need to know; here is the entire process:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-converting-from-quicken-for-windows-includin...
    In your case, you can skip steps 1 and 2 but review all the prep and background info before:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/things-do-converting-your-data-quicken-mac-2016

NOTE: Be aware that at this time, it is very difficult to convert back from Mac to Windows, as there are many problems with the reverse conversion process.

I also suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017/2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it was re-written from the ground up (starting in 2010 with Quicken Essentials) and is not the same product as the Windows version, so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats  (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released in v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

See a pseudo official list of new features in QM2018 here.

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac. Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts,  or have rollover capability.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to run Quicken for Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac. There are 5 popular products you can use: Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Oracle VirtualBox, Bootcamp or CrossOver. The first 4 require you to also buy a copy of Windows. The first 2 cost $50-80, the third and forth are free. CrossOver also costs about $50-$80 but does NOT require you to buy Windows.

If you plan to keep your PC & Mac, you could also run Quicken on the PC and use remote access (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken from your Mac  (or even a tablet or phone) (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    thank you for all this information. If Quicken for Mac can't do 2-line display, I won't be able to use it. I've done 20 years of Quicken 2-line display...not changing now. I'll run one of the virtual machine options or remote into my old computer. Thanks again for the information.