How would someone use quicken to Track Anunities?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How would someone use quicken to Accurately track Annuities? There does not seem to be an account type that would match.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Is that Annuity a pure insurance product?  Or, does it hold various investments?  Or, what?  There's so many different kinds of annuities that you haven't provided enough info for use to assist.

Also, what Q product are you running?  What product year?  What country?  What Operating system?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    That's a good question. Actually we have 2 of wach. Using quicken 2017.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    If they hold investments, then set them up as a mutual fund account.  You'll need to set up the securities held in the investments.

In most cases, those securities are not traded on any exchange and are unit prices, rather than shares.  

You'll need to manually enter prices for those securities.

If they are part of a fixed annuity or an insurance type annuity, I just set the unit/share price to a $1 and purchase the same number of units/shares as the amount of the annuity.

So, if you purchase a $30,000 annuity, I set the initial purchase at 30,000 shares at $1 per share.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Thanks I'll give that a try.
  • Clayton200
    Clayton200 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    That's a very good question. I've tried several different methods and just gave up. I have a "Variable" Annuity that holds an array of stocks that periodically get traded. Never have been able to make the dollar a share thing work right for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Clayton said:

That's a very good question. I've tried several different methods and just gave up. I have a "Variable" Annuity that holds an array of stocks that periodically get traded. Never have been able to make the dollar a share thing work right for me.

If you have securities in your annuity portfolio, a dollar per share doesn't work.

You have to create securities, do not assign a security symbol (because none will be available) and do not download share prices.

Just like in a mutual fund, you will have to purchase securities to reflect the holdings in your annuity.  And you will have to update the security price(s) manually.  You will NOT be able to download the unit price(s) for the securities held.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    HDunawa said:

Two of each what? Two computers? Two annuities?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    HDunawa said:

The kind that hole stock an the kind that is insurance
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I just gave up on trying to get Quicken to help with this subject. I finally just enter the quarterly change in value ( + or -) and move on. Apparently the minds at Quicken cannot figure this out either!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Moose said:

I just gave up on trying to get Quicken to help with this subject. I finally just enter the quarterly change in value ( + or -) and move on. Apparently the minds at Quicken cannot figure this out either!

I have several annuities...fixed and variable.

I have ZERO issues tracking them on a daily basis...provided you follow the instructions given above.

All annuities are treated as investment accounts.  Each annuity should have a security or securities associated with them.

Fixed annuities have a fixed unit price of $1.00 per unit.  Buys, sells, annuity benefit fees and dividends are recorded as such.

Variable annuities have securities with unit prices that are manually entered (can NOT be downloaded).  Buys, sells, annuity benefit fees and dividends are recorded as such.  

There really isn't anything for Quicken Inc to figure out, since it works perfectly.

If you have a specific question, please post back and I might be able to help you. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Moose said:

Hopeful1 NAILED IT!

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.