Principal Protected Note

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Can Quicken Home and Business handle Principle Protected Notes and if so, how do you setup such securities, i.e. Type, Exchange, etc.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A Principle Protected Note Is not really a "security" type that Quicken has built into it, but you can always create that as a security type, if you wish.  You might also wish to simply use one of the built in security types - "Bond", "Stock", etc. - based in the index it's measured against.  I'd probably just use the generic "Other" unless you plan to have a lot of these in your portfolio. 

These types of securities are referred to as "Structured products" in the world of finance because they are purpose-built to be sold, and I really do mean "SOLD", to people. 

If it's publicly traded and has a ticker symbol - not too likely - you can indicate that when you set it up and Quicken probably will include it in it's download of daily quotes.  If it's not publicly traded but the issuer makes a market in the product you can simply manually change the "price" from time to time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply Tom.

The Principle Credit Notes I have are public and listed on the TMX (Montreal Stock Exchange).

I will follow your advise, i.e. set them up as a stock and see if I can get a price update.

Regards,
This discussion has been closed.