Budget category does not equal total of subcategories -- quicken for mac

Options
I am setting up my first budget and am editing the budget that Quicken created by default.  However, the amount shown for each category for each month does not always equal the amount budgeted in each subcategory.  I cannot figure out where the "wrong" category amount is coming from.  

For example, under "clothing" I have 5 subcategories and have budgeted them as follows: dry-cleaning (20), clothing for me (100), clothing for my husband (100), clothing for my kids (200), and repairs/alterations (10).  Each of these were entered for all months -- every month reflects the same amount in each subcategory.  For many months, the total for clothing category (the top line total for the category) is $430, which is correct -- that is the sum of the subcategories.  But Jan. 2019 shows 515.57 there, and Feb 2019 show 660.63.  This is the case in a few other categories too.

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you still facing this issue?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am having a similar problem but I have noticed that all insurance categories (with sub-categories) show a negative amount.  For example, Under Schedule A:Medical:Insurance, I have 4 sub-categories (Medical, dental, and medicare for both my husband and myself).  Although the sub categories amounts shown are correct, the summary of this category is a negative.  This is not the case for other categories with sub-categories.  It seems to me that that feature would cancel out the monthly amounts.  I'm not sure how Quicken uses these summary categories.  Are they just ignored when totaling?  Why would this show up as a negative?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am still facing this issue -- thoughts appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.