security view holdings window not correct

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Hello.. Here is the issue I am having..security view holdings not correct Quicken 2017, current release just installed. This problem has existed for a bit. Just now getting around to addressing. But I have a stock that is zero balanced. I have not had any activity on this since 2017. But in the security view in the holdings window it shows there are shares, costs and market value that is way out of whack... need to recalibrate or revaluate this stock. The stock report shows the correct activity and ending values, all zero... thx

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.2 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 ... Release R 10.11 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 4.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step:

- Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)

- Open the copied
    file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for this info.  I took all these steps.  It did not resolve the issue.  But it did lead me to do further research  by backtracking the stock.  When I ran the validate a large number of old transactions showed up on the log report.  These were flagged because the transfer was missing half of the transaction.  They were missing because having run a year end file process many bank transactions are removed.  Thus this process could not find that archived transaction.  
    This got me thinking about this stock.  It had been transferred from another broker account.  It was a closed account and the stock was zero balanced after the transfer.  So the transactions did not show up on the security view (not sure if the should or not?).  However these transactions were used to compute the cost and total shares.  It was still incorrect in the holdings view.  But rather than mess with it I just removed the whole stock since it was old history anyhow.  Now it will not show up on any reports as it had before.  I can go back to year end files if I need any info on this stock.
    Thanks for the help.  At least now I know the file is clean!  
    Cheers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Woelfman said:

Thanks for this info.  I took all these steps.  It did not resolve the issue.  But it did lead me to do further research  by backtracking the stock.  When I ran the validate a large number of old transactions showed up on the log report.  These were flagged because the transfer was missing half of the transaction.  They were missing because having run a year end file process many bank transactions are removed.  Thus this process could not find that archived transaction.  
    This got me thinking about this stock.  It had been transferred from another broker account.  It was a closed account and the stock was zero balanced after the transfer.  So the transactions did not show up on the security view (not sure if the should or not?).  However these transactions were used to compute the cost and total shares.  It was still incorrect in the holdings view.  But rather than mess with it I just removed the whole stock since it was old history anyhow.  Now it will not show up on any reports as it had before.  I can go back to year end files if I need any info on this stock.
    Cheers

When did you run that Year End Copy?
    I remember a Quicken version about 10 years ago which would cut transfer transactions in half during YEC. This bug has since been fixed and YEC removes transfer transactions only if both sides of the transfer are reconciled.

A painless (to account balances) method of fixing a transfer transaction pointing to [Deleted Account] or [Unspecified Account] is to change the category of the remaining transaction. Point it to the name of the account that the transaction is in. For example, if you have half a transfer in your [MyChecking] account pointing to [Unspecified Account], change the category to "[MyChecking]". This transfer back to same account will not recreate the other half of the transfer transaction, thus not messing up the transfer-to account balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Woelfman said:

Cheers

The last YEC I did was 2014 probably running Quicken 2015 prem.  The missing transactions were from bank account which had been cleaned prior to 2014 and credit card accounts no longer active.  Not a big deal as nothing done effected balances.

But the initial problem with the stock holding view not showing the stock in inactive accounts is a concern going forward.  It should show the stock in all account regardless of the account status? 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Woelfman said:

Cheers

If you have transferred all securities from an old brokerage to a new one and your Quicken accounts properly reflect that, there should be nothing to view in Holdings or Portfolio views in the old accounts ... everything is at zero shares left in the old accounts.
    The "Shares transferred between accounts" transaction creates new records in the new account for each lot that you have, so that you have correct long-term / short-term information for everything in the new account.
    Holdings and Portfolio views also have a customization option "Show closed lots" that you can use for everything with 0 shares currently held. (Bug alert: This view may not show correct information due to an as yet unresolved bug)
    Investment Transaction reports across all accounts, sorted and/or filtered by security should show the complete history of any security you ever held.
This discussion has been closed.