Why the extra steps to restore from backup or open an old data file from 2014?

lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in
Quicken 2018 (latest update/Windows 10). It is really annoying to go through extra steps to restore a file from 2014 or to restore from a backup. Why the need to sign into Quicken/be asked if you want to use mobile/or most annoying to get a code?  Most of the time, when I want to see an old file, it is because I am in a hurry and want an answer fast. Please get rid of this step.  Thank you
Quicken User since the DOS days...

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That isn't going to happen.  All versions since 2015 require that the data file be registered to a valid Quicken ID. 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree. It is annoying to have to stop and register the data file when you just want to look something up.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It has been suggested before, having some kind of read-only mode, but like SPlasher says, I doubt it is going to happen.  BTW it sounds like one more reason why people shouldn't be splitting up their data files by year or whatever.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    P.S. Quicken 2014 used a different data file format than Quicken 2016 and beyond, so the 2018 release of Quicken 2018 can't even read that data file without first converting it.
  • lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes, I know that..2014 was a different format and I had to convert,. Read-only would be fine with me. PLUS, it is my data....
    Quicken User since the DOS days...