Stock sale that closed on 1/3/18 - Not Showing on Cap Gains Report

Mike16
Mike16 Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Premier 2018 - Stock sale that closed on 1/3/18 - Not Showing on Cap Gains Report - How can I make it appear?  I have checked and uncheck stock but without a change in the result.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Usually there is a delay of 3 - 5 business days before a stock transaction closes and the funds are deposited.
    When exactly did the actual Sell transaction take place? That could have been 12/28/17 or 12/29/17, which means it applies to last year.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Here is the additional information:
    Quicken reports transaction date as: 1/3/2018
    Charles Schwab has the stock settlement/close date was: 1/3/2018
    Schwab is telling me this is income for 2018 - and - their Capital Gains information supports this.
    Quicken did not capture this as income for 2017.

Any other ideas - please?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Schwab is telling me this is income for 2018 - and - their Capital Gains information supports this.

What is the date range of the report? Is the account where the stock sale occurred included in the report?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The date range of the report is: 1/1/2018 through 8/11/2018.  So, should have included this 1/3/2018 trade.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is there a placeholder associated with the security?

If you edit the transaction, and choose to specify lots, what do you see?

Does the report customization include the relevant account? (As previously asked.)

Is the security included in the report customization settings? Especially be wary of similarly named securities.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Check that this security and account are included in the report.

Check that this is not a tax deferred account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes - this account is included in the report - just not the sale of this one security.

A sale in April 2017 of this same security from this same account did appear in the 2017 Quicken Capital Gains report.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    q.lurker said:

Is there a placeholder associated with the security?

If you edit the transaction, and choose to specify lots, what do you see?

Does the report customization include the relevant account? (As previously asked.)

Is the security included in the report customization settings? Especially be wary of similarly named securities.

Thank you - 
    No - no placeholder.
    No ability to specify lots - sale came from one purchase.
    No issues with customized settings or security naming.
    DARN!!
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Check that this security and account are included in the report.

Check that this is not a tax deferred account.

Thank you for your suggestions!
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Thank you for your ideas.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    UKR said:

Usually there is a delay of 3 - 5 business days before a stock transaction closes and the funds are deposited.
    When exactly did the actual Sell transaction take place? That could have been 12/28/17 or 12/29/17, which means it applies to last year.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Does the sale appear in the very similar Sched D report? 

In case there was something squirrely about the transaction, you might try deleting and re-entering it. Do a backup first and make sure you copy down all the info about the original transaction - tax lots, etc.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Mike,
    you edited your original post from

Stock sale date was: 12/27/2012

Stock settlement date was: 1/3/2018

Charles Schwab is telling me this is income for 2018 - and - their Capital Gains
    information supports this.

I'm not sure about tax implications of a Sale pending settlement across tax years.
    AFAIK, if the sale actually took place on 12/27/2017 (I assume "2012" to
    be a typo), then this sale should be reported as Gain/Loss for 2017. A Cap Gains report for Tax Year 2017 should have shown this transaction for as long as it was recorded with a Transaction Date of 12/27/17
    If
    you originally recorded this transaction in Quicken with a 12/27/17
    date and later changed it to 1/3/18, there may be a Tax Year notation
    under the covers in Quicken which says 2017 ... I'm just guessing here ...
    So, assuming that Schwab is correct saying that this represents Gain/Loss for 2018 then you should delete and reenter this Sale transaction with a 1/3/18 date.

Does anybody know what the rules are for Sales straddling tax years?

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Apparently it is usually the sale date, not the settlement date that determines the tax year.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204058
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 2018

In case there was something squirrely about the transaction, you might try deleting and re-entering it. Do a backup first and make sure you copy down all the info about the original transaction - tax lots, etc.

also does this sale show up if you set the year to 2017, or is it completely missing?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Apparently it is usually the sale date, not the settlement date that determines the tax year.

Yes, normally the trade date is used for the cap gains determination (purchase and sale).  As such, I always have the trade date recorded in Quicken as the transaction date.  

Quicken does not have any provision (as far as I know) for having a tax year association different from the transaction date.  If you change the transaction date from 2017 to 2018 or the other way, the cap gains reports (and Schedule D reports) should also adjust accordingly.
  • mshiggins
    edited August 2018

I usually go with however the 1099-B captures it.

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

It does not appear on the Schedule D report.  

Later tonight I will try to delete and add in manually.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    UKR said:

Mike,
    you edited your original post from

Stock sale date was: 12/27/2012

Stock settlement date was: 1/3/2018

Charles Schwab is telling me this is income for 2018 - and - their Capital Gains
    information supports this.

I'm not sure about tax implications of a Sale pending settlement across tax years.
    AFAIK, if the sale actually took place on 12/27/2017 (I assume "2012" to
    be a typo), then this sale should be reported as Gain/Loss for 2017. A Cap Gains report for Tax Year 2017 should have shown this transaction for as long as it was recorded with a Transaction Date of 12/27/17
    If
    you originally recorded this transaction in Quicken with a 12/27/17
    date and later changed it to 1/3/18, there may be a Tax Year notation
    under the covers in Quicken which says 2017 ... I'm just guessing here ...
    So, assuming that Schwab is correct saying that this represents Gain/Loss for 2018 then you should delete and reenter this Sale transaction with a 1/3/18 date.

Does anybody know what the rules are for Sales straddling tax years?

Thank you for your attention.

I edited my original data because I had made a mistake.  The stock was purchased on 12/12/12.  That was not the sale date. When I discovered my error, I corrected the information I included in my posted question. Transaction date was 1/3/18.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Transaction date was 1/3/18. I edited my original data because I had made a mistake.  The stock was purchased on 12/12/12.  That was not the sale date. When I discovered my error, I corrected the information I included in my posted question. Transaction date was 1/3/18. This transaction does not appear on Quicken Schedule D, 1099-B  or Capital Gains report.  Quicken does show the sale under transactions.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 2018

Did you try deleting and re-entering the transaction?
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I will try that later tonight and let you know what happens.  Thanks for your idea!
  • mshiggins
    edited August 2018

If that doesn't work, I think it's time to post some screen captures showing the sell transaction and the report customizations.

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I deleted the 1/3/18 sale transaction.  When I tried to enter, I got a message saying that I didn't own enough of that stock to support the sale of 10 shares.  In looking at the Holding Report it shows I own none of the stock while, case in fact, I do.  (Just confirmed that by looking at a report from my Brokerage company - Charles Schwab. 
    On Quicken I am now running their file repair tool.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for EVERYONE's ideas and help!
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Update - NOPE didn't work.  Quicken still does not show the correct number of shares I own for this stock - and - until it does, I cannot re-enter the Jan 2018 transaction. In looking at the transaction history for this stock in this account, there is not a logical reason and nothing showing that the shares left the account.   The mystery gets deeper!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

You indicated earlier you did not have any placeholders.  Placeholders can be hidden.  Make sure under your Edit / Preferences for Investment transactions, you have the selection checked to Show Hidden Transactions.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Also, when was the last time that you reconciled your investment account? 

That is, compared, position by position, what your brokerage statement shows and what Q shows?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    When you ran the validate routine, did you include the option to recalculate investment lots? If not try that.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

I have no Placeholder transactions - and - under your Edit / Preferences for Investment transactions, I have the selection checked to Show Hidden Transactions. 

While Quicken shows I own none of this stock - dividends continue to be paid and credited based on the number of shares I do own - while not reflected in Quicken.

Thanks AGAIN for your thoughts, ideas and insights!! 
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you - but - there was only one purchase of this stock - so - no multiple lots to select between.
This discussion has been closed.