Investment performance incorrectly calculates average annual return after stock split.

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In Windows 2018 subscription, following stock split, value of new (higher number of) shares seems to be added to cost basis, reducing the calculated average annual return. 

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Can you provide more details on the issue?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Has the Split been recorded properly in Quicken? Note it should show as a Split in the transaction list (register), not as Shares added. Sometimes downloads from financial institutions are wrong in this regard.

If you look at the price history for the security, does it reflect the correct price per share before and after the split?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks Jim and mshiggins. Weird but I just reopened Q, and problem went away. Investment performance is now correct. It must have needed to be refreshed. Sorry for the false alarm. BTW, I feel that Q has been working very well lately. I use it extensively, and have had no issues. Thanks, again. Steve
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Has the Split been recorded properly in Quicken? Note it should show as a Split in the transaction list (register), not as Shares added. Sometimes downloads from financial institutions are wrong in this regard.

If you look at the price history for the security, does it reflect the correct price per share before and after the split?

Jim- And yes, it did. It just did not correctly reflect that in the performance report.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It's good to know that your problem is resolved and that it was as simple as restarting Quicken. I have also had occasional situations where restarting cleared things up.

There is also a way to force Quicken to recalculate investments as described here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/recalculate-investment-register

but that appears to be much more drastic than simply restarting. I'm not sure what this does behind the scenes, but I would not want it converting all my sales to FIFO.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options

It's good to know that your problem is resolved and that it was as simple as restarting Quicken. I have also had occasional situations where restarting cleared things up.

There is also a way to force Quicken to recalculate investments as described here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/recalculate-investment-register

but that appears to be much more drastic than simply restarting. I'm not sure what this does behind the scenes, but I would not want it converting all my sales to FIFO.

That caution in the article about lots is specific to lost or damaged lot information. There is no underlying action to change all sales to FIFO. If a specific lot is lost or damaged, that would likely alter or affect lot specification on sales.

I have used the ctrl-z recalc multiple times over the years with no known deleterious effects observed.

The caution is worthwhile, but that is also what backups and the copy process cited are meant for.
This discussion has been closed.