I want to keep Quicken 2015 offline completely, I want to stop continuous reminders to upgrade? How?

Mark BohanaMark Bohana Member
edited January 15 in
I have chosen not to upgrade, I am using Quicken 2015 without downloads. I want reminders to upgrade, patches, etc.. STOPPED.  I paid for this program and I want to run independently of anything to do with Quicken.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    All those reminders and patch prompts are downloaded from the Internet.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I paid for this program and I want to run independently of anything to do with Quicken.
    You didn't state if you are using Windows or Mac.  I'm not sure of the exact details for Mac, but I think the answer is the same except the "cutoff" version would be Quicken 2007 for Mac.

Ultimately there is no way to run Quicken Windows 2014 to the present version completely independent of Quicken Inc.  The last Windows version that was possible was probably Quicken 2013.
  • DennisDennis Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    On a Mac computer in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Firewall tab>Firewall Options menu, you can block  incoming connections on an application by application basis. I would assume Windows has a similar function somewhere. I'm not a Windows computer user. I think that blocking Quicken should stop all of the reminders, etc.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Dennis said:

On a Mac computer in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Firewall tab>Firewall Options menu, you can block  incoming connections on an application by application basis. I would assume Windows has a similar function somewhere. I'm not a Windows computer user. I think that blocking Quicken should stop all of the reminders, etc.

That is true Dennis on Windows too, but that will not really won't make Quicken 2015 "offline completely".  At least not on Quicken Windows.

Then again maybe that is all Mark Bohana needs.

It has already been proven that since the Quicken Id was introduced, if a person stays offline for too long (about a month), Quicken will again require the "One time passcode" to be sent.  Forcing the user to get back online to do at least that verification.

The same is true if you need to reinstall.  That include installing Quicken on a new machine for both registration and the One Time Passcode.
  • Mark BohanaMark Bohana Member
    edited October 2018
    I have Windows 10 computer, I want to remove myself completely from Quicken.  I am using Quicken strictly on a manual basis since I can add notes to various charges on Credit Cards and Banking plus manage to input my own expenditures each day.  Luckily with a password manager, I can get access to all my accounts as quickly as downloading.  The major reason is continuous request from Quicken to upgrade, every few day's, sometimes they quickly go into download before I can react, I am afraid I will no longer have access to my own program with a new patch or upgrade and have to start over with my own disk.
    I no longer wish to use Quicken as it was meant due to the subscription service and the leasing aspect of this program. I started with Quicken when it was available on a floppy disk, cannot remember how many years ago.

• DennisDennis Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Dennis said:

Thanks for the info. It seems silly to make one jump through all those hoops if you're not using any online functions. 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I have Windows 10 computer, I want to remove myself completely from Quicken.  I am using Quicken strictly on a manual basis since I can add notes to various charges on Credit Cards and Banking plus manage to input my own expenditures each day.  Luckily with a password manager, I can get access to all my accounts as quickly as downloading.  The major reason is continuous request from Quicken to upgrade, every few day's, sometimes they quickly go into download before I can react, I am afraid I will no longer have access to my own program with a new patch or upgrade and have to start over with my own disk.
    I no longer wish to use Quicken as it was meant due to the subscription service and the leasing aspect of this program. I started with Quicken when it was available on a floppy disk, cannot remember how many years ago.

"leasing aspect of this program. "

Your Quicken 2015 is as much as a "lease" as the 2018 release of Quicken, at least as long as you have Deluxe or above.

When you bought Quicken 2015 you got the "services" like downloading transactions for about 3 years.  After that point this stop, but you can use Quicken in the manual mode.

The same goes for the 2018 release of Quicken, except now they official call it a subscription, and it has a different period of time (one or two years).  And if the subscription lapses, the "services" stop, but it can still be used in manual mode.

As for being worried that they will lock you out of Quicken 2015 manual mode with an update.  They aren't sending any more updates to Quicken 2015, they have stopped supporting it.  But you should save the last patch update, just in case you need to reinstall.  You can get it from my website if you don't have it:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

But note that install will require registering with Quicken Inc, and sending of the One Time Passcode again.  According to what Quicken Inc has said you should be able to do this even though Quicken 2015 isn't supported any more (their "data access guarantee")

Of course no one can tell what the future might bring.  If say Quicken Inc goes out of business, it is possible that you will never be able to reinstall.

Quicken 2013 was the last version without the Quicken Id/force registration to install.
  • Mark BohanaMark Bohana Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank's, everything went downhill in Sept of last year, unable to download banking, etc.. Many of us started complaining until they finally stopped all comments from the forum.  I tried a substitute but Personal Finance ended up telling me I should add my brokerage account, that is when I realized they were privy to all my information, so I immediately removed them and changed passwords. 
    I can live with what I have with the Q Deluxe 2015, its just the constant reminders to upgrade, etc.. At this time , I just want to be left alone and continue with what I have.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Thank's, everything went downhill in Sept of last year, unable to download banking, etc.. Many of us started complaining until they finally stopped all comments from the forum.  I tried a substitute but Personal Finance ended up telling me I should add my brokerage account, that is when I realized they were privy to all my information, so I immediately removed them and changed passwords. 
    I can live with what I have with the Q Deluxe 2015, its just the constant reminders to upgrade, etc.. At this time , I just want to be left alone and continue with what I have.  

Then Dennis' suggestion of blocking Quicken using Windows firewall might be the way to go.  Just realize that it might request a One Time Code about once a month, and you might have to open the firewall up for that to happen.