what happened to being able to put in starting and ending balances in reconcile

Unknown
Unknown Member
Used to be able to reconcile 5-7 statements in 30 minutes now with 2018 starter can not get one done correctly. Used to be able to put in starting and ending balances now I see no way to do that and whenever I reconcile Quicken wants to make a adjustment that is not needed how do I stop this. My work around has been to manually mark transactions as reconciled without using reconcile itself. Seems like this started in an update in Quicken 2016 so I updated to 2018 and this is still there.  This is quicken for windows updated today to latest version.

Comments

• whistlingwood
    whistlingwood Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The reconcile feature works a little differently depending on whether or not an account is linked for online updates. Do you know whether or not the account you are working with is linked? To find out go to the "Download Transactions" window at the bottom of the register. If you see a button reading "set up download" the account is unlinked.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

The answer to the subject line of your post is: Nothing.

Some account types (such as checking) allow the user to enter a reconcile starting balance (and still do in Q2018) and some account types (such as credit card) do not (and still don't in Q2018). Some account types (such as Cash) do not have a reconcile opening balance, only allow the user to create an adjust account balance transaction, and do not mark any transactions as reconciled.

I don't believe that has changed in many years ... going back way before Q2016.

But the inability to enter a reconcile starting balance has nothing to do with your problem reconciling. In fact, in those account types where it is possible to modify the reconcile starting balance, doing so will guarantee that you will not be able to successfully complete the reconcile without allowing Quicken to enter an adjustment transaction.

For well over a decade, the opening balance of a Quicken reconcile has been computed by Quicken at the moment you initiate the reconcile. At that moment, Quicken nets the amount of all reconciled transactions in the register and presents that amount as the reconcile opening balance. If the opening balance computed by Quicken is not correct, you can not successfully complete the reconcile without accepting a balance adjustment transaction.

If you find your reconcile opening balance to be incorrect, you need to discover what has changed since your most recent successful reconcile ... and correct that difference. The change could be reconciled transaction amounts that have been changed, reconciled transactions that have been deleted, reconciled transactions whose Cleared Status was changed from "R", new Reconciled transactions that were added to the register, or existing transactions whose Cleared Status was changed to "R".

You can sort the account register on Cleared Status to help locate the problem.

In some cases, a user may experience a known Quicken reconcile bug, as noted here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Here's another Community FAQ that may be of some help:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes it has, the feature I always liked and used was being able to reconcile a number of statements like Jan through July at one time. Used to when you opened a reconcile window you imputed dates and a ending balance that option does not show up on mine only the statement ending balance that quicken says is correct. So if you try to reconcile to a different balance it will not without making an adjustment at least I have not been able to. Even if I try to reconcile every month by the time statement arrives there has been a few transactions and you can not get through reconcile without letting Quicken making an adjustment. I am not an expert quicken user but have been using it since quicken for dos and used to know my way around it pretty well but lately every  update changes things that work. Example of that yesterday when I started it went through an update and it set quicken cloud on when I went to update my accounts it would not and found it it was trying to go to quicken cloud which I have never used, it was easy to turn off but why would they turn it on in an update without even asking me. AND I was incorrect when I stated used to be able in input starting balance it was ending balance and dates of statement and quicken would give me a reconciled statement in a minute.      
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

The reconcile feature works a little differently depending on whether or not an account is linked for online updates. Do you know whether or not the account you are working with is linked? To find out go to the "Download Transactions" window at the bottom of the register. If you see a button reading "set up download" the account is unlinked.

Not sure where to look for this I see no download transactions window at the bottom of my register window. I do download transactions in all my accounts and quicken does update itself whether I want it to or not or will not start. I have have had issues lately with my main account auto updating I get a error that my bank has added a popup window so last 3-4 downloads I did manually and imported into quicken. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Jim,
    The Bill and Income
    Reminders tab and the Downloaded Transactions tab do not show at the bottom of
    the register if the individual account has been set to "automatically
    accept downloaded transactions into your register".

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded
    transaction" settings?

There are two places
    where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:

- Globally, for all accounts, in Edit /
    Preferences / Downloaded Transactions

- For each account individually, the
    global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online
    Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF".
    Click the text to change the setting.

• whistlingwood
    whistlingwood Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jim, I think if you temporarily turn off the auto download feature by opening the account details and selecting "deactivate" in the online options the reconcile firm will be back to the way you like.
This discussion has been closed.