Windows 10 Issues setting up Express Web Connect loans, credit cards and bank accounts

If you are using Windows 10, make sure your default web browser is Microsoft Edge while setting up accounts in Quicken. Once accounts are set up you can revert back to whatever browser you were using before.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Can you explain what issue having a different default browser than Edge causes when you are trying to set up accounts?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

Can you explain what issue having a different default browser than Edge causes when you are trying to set up accounts?

I would also like to know because from what I can see your default browser is not used in this operation.  At least it wasn't being used when I just tested setting up a Macy's Credit Card.
  • Rick GumpertzRick Gumpertz Member
    edited August 2018
    Are you kidding me?  Why in the world should this matter?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My default browser is Mozilla Firefox ... and I've had NO DIFFICULTY whatsoever in setting up EWC accounts for download.

The initial message here is just plain wrong.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    There's more going on here than meets the eye. Let's all wait for Mr. Gatling to respond to mshiggins's question and give us more information about his reasons for making this post.
  • Magrat427Magrat427 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you UKR.
    I use Internet Explorer as my default browser (don't much care for Edge) and had issues. For example when setting up accounts with two factor authentication IE would not let me enter the second question that was asked (last 4 of social). When I switched back to Edge (just for Quicken accounts setup) all issues disappeared. I am no expert, but it seems that Quicken uses your default browser in some way to connect when setting up accounts.. This worked for me after many calls to Quicken Support with no help. All I know is that it worked for me on two different PCs. If you are having the same issues as I was it's worth a try. After accounts were set up I switched back to IE and all was good. Just thought I would share my results with you guys. Thank you UKR. I posted this for people that were having the same issues as I was. I  did not mean to imply that it was a MUST or start a technical controversy. In fact I was able to set up most of my accounts without changing to Edge, but this worked for me on the two that I could not set up. Maybe I should keep my desire to help others to myself.
    edited August 2018

My default browser is Mozilla Firefox ... and I've had NO DIFFICULTY whatsoever in setting up EWC accounts for download.

Just because you had NO DIFICULTY whatsoever in setting up EWC accounts for download doesn't mean someone else hasn't.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Magrat427 said:

Thank you UKR.
    I use Internet Explorer as my default browser (don't much care for Edge) and had issues. For example when setting up accounts with two factor authentication IE would not let me enter the second question that was asked (last 4 of social). When I switched back to Edge (just for Quicken accounts setup) all issues disappeared. I am no expert, but it seems that Quicken uses your default browser in some way to connect when setting up accounts.. This worked for me after many calls to Quicken Support with no help. All I know is that it worked for me on two different PCs. If you are having the same issues as I was it's worth a try. After accounts were set up I switched back to IE and all was good. Just thought I would share my results with you guys. Thank you UKR. I posted this for people that were having the same issues as I was. I  did not mean to imply that it was a MUST or start a technical controversy. In fact I was able to set up most of my accounts without changing to Edge, but this worked for me on the two that I could not set up. Maybe I should keep my desire to help others to myself.

Maybe the real issue is IE?  You might not have had your issues if you had been using Firefox or Chrome to begin with. 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited October 2018

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I should have should have phrased my post as try something besides IE.

It won't let me edit my original post.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Magrat427 said:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I should have should have phrased my post as try something besides IE.

Once someone adds anything after a post (reply, comment or like), it is frozen.  I guess it is GetSat's way of keeping the story straight and preventing someone from stating "that isn't what I said".  ;-)
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

SO, as you  acknowledge below, your original post was just plain  wrong.

Apology accepted.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Magrat427 said:

you know the more I look at this the more it "more complicated then it seems at first pass".

I have a feeling that for simple logins where you just have an username and password they use the internal web browser.  But if there is something complicated like a challenge question or sending of a code then they pop up your default browser to handle it, because they know the internal one is old, out of date, and lacking.

I would think it would be pretty obvious if this is happening.

The whole reason for using the internal web browser would be so they can embed it in a "Quicken Window".  You can't embed someone's default web browser in your program window.  And as such if this is the case they would be just handing the URL to your web browser and its windows and such should come up.

Is this the case?

I was testing on a Express Web Connect account that doesn't have any kind of "challenges".
    edited August 2018
    It was all within Quicken (2018 Home & Business) itself. If I used IE Quicken would say Wait your finical institution is requesting a response from you, but gave me no place to enter the info (ssn) .
    It would advise me to open a browser (no particular one) and login until I could see my account info. and try again, which didn't change anything at all. I closed Quicken switched default browser to Edge. When I tried again Quicken then popped up a field for me to enter the info. Again, all within Quicken. Afterwards I switched default back to IE and tried One step update and all was good. I can't explain it either but that worked for me and I thought I would share it with all of you [removed].