Account Transfer Doesn't Appear in the Receiving Account

When I execute a transfer from my bank account to my credit card (internal Quicken transaction, no online options), the money doesn't appear in the receiving account. Transaction is fine in the sending account showing the account into which the money should have been received.  I've seen the problem twice now and it seems as if having a transfer date in excess of three weeks in the future is an observation.  If I change the sending account transaction date to something more current, the receiving account transaction shows up.  Changing the date back to the future results in the transfer being properly recorded in both accounts.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Quicken Deluxe 2018 (Windows) Version R11.18
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Check the filter settings in the receiving account. And make sure it is sorted in Date order. How are you doing the Transfer? Does the transaction category show [credit card acct] with the square brackets around it? Maybe it’s going to an expense category called credit card instead of the Account.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Since last update, transfers between accounts do not show up to the account trans....

Since the last update, the transfer between accounts are not working properly.  When I post a transfer to another account, it shows on the transfer "from" account but does not show up on the transfer "to" account unless I exit the program and sign back on.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I see this also. Steps to reproduce:

View the source checking account
    Click the gear at the top right and select Transfer money
    Enter a date a month from now
    Enter an amount
    Select a credit card account as the destination
    OK

The transfer appears in the source account but not the destination.

If you choose a date 2 weeks from now or enter the transfer directly in the register, it appears on both sides.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I noticed this too. However, when you do a download transactions for the "destination" account, it matches the amount of transfer. Once you Accept, it appears in the register. Weird. "It was not broken"?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I see this also. Steps to reproduce:

View the source checking account
    Click the gear at the top right and select Transfer money
    Enter a date a month from now
    Enter an amount
    Select a credit card account as the destination
    OK

The transfer appears in the source account but not the destination.

If you choose a date 2 weeks from now or enter the transfer directly in the register, it appears on both sides.

This makes three users that have reported the same transfer problem.  I downloaded the Mondo patch hoping that might clear up the problem but have not attempted any test cases to verify whether or not the Mondo patch may have solved the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    The problem has gotten worse for me.  Today I transferred $1400 from my savings account to my checking account with a transaction date (all internal to Quicken) 19 days in future.  The correct amount was debited from my savings account and displayed as a deposit in the checking account; however, the checking account Balance of $6271.42 was debited ($6413.90) resulting in an account balance of -142.48  In other words, the "to" checking account balance prior to the transfer was 6271.42 and the balance after the $1400 deposit was -142.48  I double checked everything finding no problems taking screen dumps of the two accounts. I then ran a "Validate File" which found no inconsistencies in qdata; however, in returning to the "to" checking account the $1400 deposit (same column) now showed a correct account balance of 7671.42   I will retain all three screen dumps if one would like to see this progression in the account transfer issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Check the filter settings in the receiving account. And make sure it is sorted in Date order. How are you doing the Transfer? Does the transaction category show [credit card acct] with the square brackets around it? Maybe it’s going to an expense category called credit card instead of the Account.

The transaction category was correct with the [  ] brackets around the correct 'to" account.  I didn't sort the date field but did look a reasonable depth thru the "to" account while verifying the correct date in the "from" account.  Something is seriously amiss with account transfers since reading thru this thread, I see two other users with the same problem.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2020

The problem has gotten worse for me.  Today I transferred $1400 from my savings account to my checking account with a transaction date (all internal to Quicken) 19 days in future.  The correct amount was debited from my savings account and displayed as a deposit in the checking account; however, the checking account Balance of $6271.42 was debited ($6413.90) resulting in an account balance of -142.48  In other words, the "to" checking account balance prior to the transfer was 6271.42 and the balance after the $1400 deposit was -142.48  I double checked everything finding no problems taking screen dumps of the two accounts. I then ran a "Validate File" which found no inconsistencies in qdata; however, in returning to the "to" checking account the $1400 deposit (same column) now showed a correct account balance of 7671.42   I will retain all three screen dumps if one would like to see this progression in the account transfer issue.

Did you enter the transfer from the Transfer Money Within Quicken screen or directly in the register, using the destination account in [square brackets] as the Category?

The latter approach seems to work without problems for me.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    It appears that the transfer transaction is being stored correctly in Quicken's data but the register display in the destination account is not updated correctly after the transaction is entered.

A major event such as restarting Quicken, running a one step update, or doing a Validate/Repair appears to clear up the display problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Transfer money within Quicken screen
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Good catch. Hopefully the display problem will be corrected.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I'm seeing this too but it's not 100% reproducible. I agree it acts like a problem with the register display not refreshing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    As per Jim Harman's analysis, I have now seen the incorrect results being displayed in just about all transfer transactions (appears as a math error in the account balance) that clears up when a 'major event" is executed.  If Quicken appears as if it can't add or subtract, I would contend that this is a major issue and I am not sure if it has registered with the powers to be.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

As per Jim Harman's analysis, I have now seen the incorrect results being displayed in just about all transfer transactions (appears as a math error in the account balance) that clears up when a 'major event" is executed.  If Quicken appears as if it can't add or subtract, I would contend that this is a major issue and I am not sure if it has registered with the powers to be.

I've found that clicking twice on the Date column header to resort the register causes it to be redrawn and clear the math error, it doesn't need to be too "major" an event.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    For the first time in all my years of using Quicken I, too, have experienced the "Quicken can't do math" and "Quicken doesn't record the other half of transfers" problem.  This seemed to crop up with my (delayed) update to QPW2018 R11.18.

• Timothy Collier
    Timothy Collier Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transfers not Recorded Correctly.

I am experiencing the same issue.  It appears the "Update Balance Column" routine is not called when certain transactions are made.  When sorting, the "Update Balance Column" is called.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Transfers Not Updating.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transfers Not Updating.

Suddenly my registers don't update amounts after entering a money transfer -- transfer transactions show, but Quicken is not adjusting the subsequent dollar amounts to reflect the transfer amount.  Have to leave program, then relaunch to correct balances.
    Using Quicken Deluxe 2018, R11.20 in Windows.
  • Neil4730
    Neil4730 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I also had the issue with the receiving account not showing the transfer (in my case it was an bill-pay credit card payment from my checking account).  The "from" account showed it, but the "to" account did not.  I fixed it by running the validate function.

I have been noticing lots of similar issues within Quicken over the past 6 months with increasing regularity.  I have been using Quicken for decades and the software is acting worse than it ever has.  It is starting to worry me.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2020

I also had the issue with the receiving account not showing the transfer (in my case it was an bill-pay credit card payment from my checking account).  The "from" account showed it, but the "to" account did not.  I fixed it by running the validate function.

I have been noticing lots of similar issues within Quicken over the past 6 months with increasing regularity.  I have been using Quicken for decades and the software is acting worse than it ever has.  It is starting to worry me.

Neil,

What version of Quicken are you running?

Have you seen this issue recently? Most reports indicate that it has been resolved with a recent update.
  • Neil4730
    Neil4730 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Build 27.1.15.18

It happened today.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2020

In earlier versions with this problem, clicking twice on the Date column header in the receiving register, to reverse the date order and switch it back again, made the transfer appear. This forces the register to re-calculate.

Does this work for you?
  • Neil4730
    Neil4730 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I did try that and it did not work.

The missing transaction has occurred a handful of times for me.  I never noticed it for many years, but the last six months or so it has started to happen.  Usually just shutting down Quicken and then restarting it solves the problem.  I think that this time may have been the first where a transaction between two accounts was involved.  Shutting down Quicken did not help in this case...only the validate function.
This discussion has been closed.