Stock sale that closed on 1/3/18 - Not Showing on Cap Gains Report

2»

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Thank you - but - there was only one purchase of this stock - so - no multiple lots to select between.

Not sure who you are responding to with that comment.

If it was my earlier comment to edit the sale transaction, and specify lots, you are missing the point. By going to the specify lots page, you might see something about the lot that is or is not available. You might also see that the page properly computes the gain on the lot being sold.

If you are commenting about the rebuild investment lots during validation, you are again missing the point. Something is amiss and rebuilding all lots even if it is only one, might fix the one. What is the harm in following suggestions?
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I so do appreciate your ideas!  THANK YOU!

There was only one purchase of this stock - and - from that one purchase - one stock split and two sales - one of the two sales I deleted and tried to re-add - which is when I learned Quicken thinks I own none of the stock.  I thought it was interesting when I looked at the transactions on this stock that I continue to get dividends - as I should - even though Quicken thinks I don't own it any more.

What do you think of the idea of picking a point in time and me adding the total number of shares I own, at the cost basis and at the purchase date?  Once that is in place, then add the 2018 stock sale.  

What do you think?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Try stepping through the past by changing the date on the holdings view to see what it shows in terms of shares held. Also try selecting “all shares” instead of entering a number of shares on that second transaction that isn’t working.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

There was only one purchase of this stock - and - from that one purchase - one stock split and two sales - one of the two sales I deleted and tried to re-add - which is when I learned Quicken thinks I own none of the stock.  I thought it was interesting when I looked at the transactions on this stock that I continue to get dividends - as I should - even though Quicken thinks I don't own it any more.

What do you think of the idea of picking a point in time and me adding the total number of shares I own, at the cost basis and at the purchase date?  Once that is in place, then add the 2018 stock sale.  

What do you think?

I affirm the response you got from BobL.  

You seem to be concerned that Quicken is accepting Div transactions for a stock it thinks you do not own.  Don't be.  There is NO qualification (in Quicken) that you have to own shares of a security in order to receive dividends from them.  You might consider this from the standpoint of ex-dividends.  You can own a stock on the ex-div date, then sell the stock a day later, and still receive the dividend on the dividend payable date, perhaps weeks later.  Perhaps just because of that scenario, Quicken makes no such cross-check.

That also means you can delete and re-enter buys and sells of the security at will without such adjustments having an impact on Div transactions.

I would stay away from artificially adding in shares.  Would seem to introduce a risk of unintended consequences. 

My 'if all else fails' solution would be to create a new security (no ticker or fictional ticker), enter the original buy, edit all dividends and the stock split to the 'new' name, then enter the sale.  After that security 'checked out', I would delete the old misbehaving security.  Then, I would edit to ticker to the correct ticker.  Your next download from the brokerage would allow you to match this newly created security to the correct real world (brokerage / online) security.  
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

Try stepping through the past by changing the date on the holdings view to see what it shows in terms of shares held. Also try selecting “all shares” instead of entering a number of shares on that second transaction that isn’t working.

May I please ask you to walk me through this?  I'm sorry but I don't understand

One update - I deleted and tried to re-add the sale transaction and Quicken will not let me - not enough shares.  Current balance is 38 amount sold 1/3/18 was 10 shares.

Tonight Quicken - reconciled with Schwab - and - 10 sale of 10 shares was added again to my Quicken Transaction Register.  However, the sale doesn't show up on any of the tax documents - Cap Gains, 1099, etc.  

I'm now back to where I was at the start of my question.  So glad this is not December and I'm rushing at year end.  

Thanks for your guidance - and - patience!
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

What do you think?

Thanks for your help and tips. This stock was purchased in 2012.  Since then - a stock split - a gift - and two sales are the only transactions along with all of the dividends over the past almost six years.  

One update - I deleted and tried to re-add the sale transaction and Quicken will not let me - not enough shares.  Current balance is 38 amount sold 1/3/18 was 10 shares.

Tonight Quicken - reconciled with Schwab - and - 10 sale of 10 shares was added again to my Quicken Transaction Register.  However, the sale doesn't show up on any of the tax documents - Cap Gains, 1099, etc.  

I'm now back to where I was at the start of my question.  So glad this is not December and I'm rushing at year end.  

Thanks for your guidance - and - patience!
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

Schwab would not be adding a January transaction now. Did you instead get an indication that the shares in quicken did not match those held by

Schwab?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

May I please ask you to walk me through this?  
    The Portfolio views (Ctrl-U) and holdings views (from the account transaction list) provide a selection box for the "As of" date.  Most views include the number of shares.  So by changing the As of date back through time, you can see how many shares Quicken thinks you have on any date. 

So by varying the date, you can see when the count of the shares goes haywire.  Th, what transactions took place on that date?  Ostensibly the date of the furst purchase should show the correct share quantity.  On the date of the split, the share quantity should adjust accordingly.

I will also add that an all-to-common source of the "not enough shares" message is the user choosing to sell the wrong security.  That could be due to having two very similarly named securities in Quicken, either correctly or in error.  The security list (Ctrl-Y) may help in that determination.   
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

Maybe he did a 1 for 2 instead of a 2 for 1 split?

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

Bob - No indication now that Quicken and Scwab are not in balance - because they are in balance - now.  Quicken magic - nothing I did. However, the issue that the 1/3/18 sale still does not appear on 2018 Captial Gains, 1099-B, remains.

Quicken did capture the 7 for 1 stock split correctly.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

q.lurker - Thank you for these directions.
    As of last night - by some Quicken magic - Quicken and Schwab are in balance. 

I used the exercise you suggested and Quicken follows right along with what the total number of shares should be each step of the way - now.

Dare I try to delete the 1/3/18 sale transaction and try to manually enter it again?

What do you and Bob think?

Thank you both - so, so much!

Mike
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Bob L said:

Dare I try to delete the 1/3/18 sale transaction and try to manually enter it again?
    I think I would first
    • make a backup,
    • edit the existing sale transaction,
    • choose the option to specify lots,
    • click the FIFO option (or any other option actually), and
    • see what that screen shows for Cap Gains.  
    If everything looks correct (right CG value), save the edited transaction and check your report.

If there is a problem (wrong CG value or still bad CG report), I would:
    Enter the same sale transaction the day before (1/2/18) and see if that takes correctly.  If so, then delete the 1/3/18 sale and redate the newly created 1/2/18 sale to the correct date.  (Effectively this is deleting and re-entering the 1/3/18 sale but you are sort of stepping through the process.)  

If still a problem, is there any prior date you can enter the sale (immediately after the split, or immediately after the original purchase)?  Obviously, you'll need to adjust dates on the CG report if you move the sale back to prior years.
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Thank you so much for your continued help and ideas.  Here’s the latest:

1st attempt – opened transaction – selected edit – then clear – I then re-entered the sale information – I did not get a choice to select lots (probably because this sale is from the one lot of shares I originally purchased 12/27/12. – after all the data was re-entered and I click Done – I got this error message.  (Yes - I did confirm I was using the correct stock.)

Number of shares selected is more than the available

Maximum number of shares for this security is 0.

Account Overview – Holdings – shows the number of shares at 38 (which is the correct balance) and when I look at the transaction register – the 1/3/18 sales transaction appears. 

2nd attempt – opened transaction – selected delete and deleted the transaction – I then re-entered the sale information – I selected Enter/Done – and I got the same error message.

Number of shares selected is more than the available

Maximum number of shares for this security is 0.

Account Overview – Holdings – shows the number of shares at 48 (which is the correct balance without this sale) and when I look at the transaction register – the 1/3/18 sales transaction does not appear.

3rd attempt – I tried to re-enter the transaction on 1/2/18 (the day prior) – same error message.

4th attempt – I tried to re-enter the transaction on 1/4/18 (the day after) – same error message.

5th attempt – I tried to re-enter the transaction on 8/17/18 – same error message.

6th attempt – I tried to re-enter the transaction using 12/3/17 – again – the same error message.

Darn it anyway!

I will now restore Quicken using the back-up I made prior to these attempts.  This will show the sale on the correct date, the share balance correctly – just not appearing in the 2018 Capital Gains Report – 1099-B – or Schedule D.

Any other ideas?  PLEASE!

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Please confirm that you ran the file validation and repair routine, choosing the option to rebuild investing lots (File, File operations, validate and repair, rebuild investment lots).

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you Bob - previously I had run the File Repair Validate - I had not run Rebuild Investing Lots.  I just did with these results:

Number of Lot Links: 143

Number of Links Fixed: 1

Number of Links Removed: 0

I then ran One Step Update - and - NO CHANGE.  The 1/3/18 stock sale of 10 shares still does not appear on the Capital Gains reports - or Schedule D.  The sale is reflected in the Account Register and in the total number of shares held.  Just not showing up on the Tax Reports.

I am so appreciative of your help - any new thoughts or ideas?  Please!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Now that you have fixed the lots, you might try deleting and re-entering the sale agian
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you Jim - I tired - no success - same error message - Number of shares selected is more than the available  Maximum number of shares for this security is 0.

This is more than a bit frustrating - thank you for sticking with me during this journey!

What might I try next?
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hello Community - any other ideas, tips, suggestions or Hail Mary type moves I might try?

Thank YOU!  Mike
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Hello Community - any other ideas, tips, suggestions or Hail Mary type moves I might try?

Thank YOU!  Mike

To recap:
    • You bought a security in 2012.
    • The security went through a series of dividend payments and a 7:1 stock split (AAPL in 2014?)
    • You sold some shares in 2017
    • You sold more shares in 2018.  
    • All transactions for this security are in one account - a standard brokerage account in Quicken.  
    All transactions appear correctly in the account transaction list, but ...
    (PROBLEM 1)  The last sale transaction in 2018 does not appear on a 2018 capital Gains report 

If you delete that 2018 sale and try to re-enter the sale manually, ...
    (PROBLEM 2), the program will not take the sale telling you that there are no shares to sell.

My "if all else fails" solution from about a week ago:
    My 'if all else fails' solution would be to create a new security (no ticker or fictional ticker), enter the original buy, edit all dividends and the stock split to the 'new' name, then enter the sale.  After that security 'checked out', I would delete the old misbehaving security.  Then, I would edit to ticker to the correct ticker.  Your next download from the brokerage would allow you to match this newly created security to the correct real world (brokerage / online) security.  
    In addition, you stated above you do not have the option to specify lots for this sale (these sales) possibly because there is just one lot.  That is not my experience.  I have that option to specify lots on a sale or Remove Shares transaction whether there is one lot or multiple lots held.  

Another exploratory thought -- backup, delete the 1/3/18 sale.  Redate the 2017 sale to a 2018 date.  Then see if that redated sale appears in the CG report.  Doing so should reinforce that the report is behaving properly to a proper transaction.  

Another step we have not touched on here (as best I recall) -- Reinstall the program.  
    Here is a pretty comprehensive set of instructions:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reinstalling-quicken-2018-for-windows?rfm=1&...

• Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Thank YOU!  Mike

Thank you - your recap and understanding of the situation and steps taken are precise.  I am presently traveling - I will tackle when I return Monday.  THANK YOU!!
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Thank YOU!  Mike

In looking at Quicken, I see another problem on this account - the cash balance isn't correct and I cannot change it using the Quicken tool.  Seems like maybe the idea of reinstalling the program and getting a fresh data download is a good way for me to go next.  

Is there any tip NOT included in the Quicken directions link you sent me that I might want to be aware of - or - do before the process begins?

I am so thankful and appreciative of your help!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Are you *sure* there are no Placeholders for this security in this account?

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked, then look for transactions with a gray background and an Action of Entry.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Are you *sure* there are no Placeholders for this security in this account?

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked, then look for transactions with a gray background and an Action of Entry.

Jim - Thank you!

Yes - I just checked again (thanks for the step by step directions) - Show Hidden Transactions Box IS Checked.

Also - on the page where the final line is - Downloaded Transactions, Bill and Income Reminders and Placeholder Entries - all show (0).
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mike said:

Thank YOU!  Mike

getting a fresh data download
    Getting a fresh download is not at all related to reinstalling the program.  After you reinstall, you will still be working with exactly the same data file.  The hope would be that there is something amiss with the installed version and its associated files such that getting a good clean install then properly processes the same data file information.  OR the clean installs reveals the underlying issue in the existing data file.  

Now, how far back does the bad cash balance extend?  That might clue things in on when and why the share balance is getting misunderstood.  
  • Mike16
    Mike16 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hello - and - thank you for your help and your patience.

Here is what I have learned - I uninstalled Quicken and reinstalled then added exiting data file and the prior problems returned.  So, there must have been a problem with the file.

I then again uninstalled Quicken and this time created a new data file.  Good news - prior problems were resolved - cash balance was correct and the Capital Gains Data now includes the missing Apple transaction - YEAH!!!

On the other hand - Quicken now has a set a placeholder for each security that I owned over four different accounts asking me to manually enter the cost basis for the security as of August 1, 2016.  Of course, if there has been activity with that stock since August 1, 2016, I must manually figure out the cost basis rather than just see the value on the Charles Schwab website.

I contacted Quicken support and was told the only way to resolve these 175 placeholders - all asking for the stock value as of August 1, 2016 is for me to manually figure it out and manually enter into Quicken.

I am so hoping you - or someone in the community - has a different answer.  My question, any ideas, tips or suggestions to get the cost basis as of August 1, 2016 and add to Quicken without my doing it manually?  Please - and - Thank you!  Mike
This discussion has been closed.