Backup QDATA file errors

I am currently using Quicken-Deluxe 2018, Version R11.18, Build: 27.1.11.18
Something has happened that I now get several pop-up windows indicating problems whenever I attempt to backup my current QDATA file either on my PC or a USB "stick"
These pop-up windows appear in sequence as follows when I select "backup":
1. "Unable to close files"
2. "Unable to load item list file"
3. "Unable to re-load current file after copy"
4. "Quicken data file backed up successfully"
After clicking on the "OK" acknowledgement for the "....backed up successfully", the Quicken "window" is completely blank and I have to re-open the file from the file menu
I have been using Quicken for many years and I am very anxious for someone to help me resolve this issue.
Thank you,
William

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ William Neeley ,

Where is the Quicken Data File located at on the Computer?

What Anti-Virus is installed?

See this Article for the future:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Comment Back:

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • edited December 2018
    Thank you for such a quick response!!!
    The Quicken Data File is located on my computer at "This PC > Documents > Quicken > BACKUP"
    Yes I do Have McAfee LiveSafe installed on this computer.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

The Quicken Data File is located on my computer at "This PC > Documents > Quicken > BACKUP"

Hi @ William Neeley ,

Is that folder included in McAfee LiveSafe?

The Data file, is located in the wrong folder, which is probably why you are having problems.

The correct location is: This PC:\Documents\Quicken

NOT This PC:\Documents\Quicken\Backup.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I have always had my quicken file located in this Directory of;
    (This PC:\Documents\Finances)
    and I have had no problems utilizing the Backup Routine.

So maybe the problem is with William's McAfee LiveSafe setup.

Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
    edited August 2018
    On second thought, I believe that the  "This PC:\Documents\Quicken\Backup" Directory is where Quicken stores it's Automatic backups. So if one specifies both input and output data files utilizing this same Directory, Problems could arise. It might be wise to more your regular data file to some other Document Directory.

• Rick GumpertzRick Gumpertz Member
    edited August 2018
    At least in QW 2016 (and I believe all versions of QW), automatic backups are stored in the Backup subdirectory of the directory where your .QDF file is stored.  If you move your .QDF file then a new Backup will be created in whatever directory your .QDF is stored in.

In general, having background processes backing up the (Quicken) Backup subdirectory is fine.  Having the .QDF file itself be backed up in the background, however, is dangerous and asking for trouble.  
    edited August 2018

At least in QW 2016 (and I believe all versions of QW), automatic backups are stored in the Backup subdirectory of the directory where your .QDF file is stored.  If you move your .QDF file then a new Backup will be created in whatever directory your .QDF is stored in.

In general, having background processes backing up the (Quicken) Backup subdirectory is fine.  Having the .QDF file itself be backed up in the background, however, is dangerous and asking for trouble.  

It is true that the "Backup" subdirectory is stored where one's QDF Data File is stored. So for me, I have the Backup subdirectory as part of my "(This PC:\Documents\Finances)" Directory Tree. Also one will find the "Validate" subdirectory there, if one ever validates the data file.

To me, it seems the danger lies if one ever has the Input and Output files in the same directory being processed by a Backup Routine. Then, if we are talking about allowing Quicken to automatically or manually work with the files in the same Directory or Subdirectory, Watch Out!! (grin)
    edited August 2018

William, I now keep wondering why are you working with a backup copy of your data file instead of your regular one in the above parent directory of  "This PC > Documents > Quicken"?

• edited August 2018
    It appears that the location/destination of the QDATA file was the answer to this issue. My thanks to all.

edited August 2018

It appears that the location/destination of the QDATA file was the answer to this issue. My thanks to all.

I think that I can represent all in stating that it is Great that you found the cause of your problem. If ever you have any more problems, feel free too ask the Community for opinions.