free update to 2018 for 2016 and 2017 users?

Rick GumpertzRick Gumpertz Member
edited October 2018 in
I just had an interesting (although unusual) idea.  If Quicken really wants to get users into using a common code base, they should offer free subscriptions to the corresponding version of Quicken 2018 to users of Quicken 2016 (with an expiration of 30 April 2019) and similarly to users of Quicken 2017 (with an expiration of 30 April 2020).

These users have already paid for the download services through those expiration dates.  The only change would be which version of the code they are using.

Furthermore, this might help Quicken avoid a slew of new problem reports in the next two Aprils when 2016 and 2017 users are eventually forced to switch to the subscription model.

0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am using QW2017 because I don't want to use QW2018. I would NOT want to be converted to QW2018.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rick GumpertzRick Gumpertz Member
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

I am using QW2017 because I don't want to use QW2018. I would NOT want to be converted to QW2018.

You wouldn't have to convert.  Anybody who wanted to turn down such an offer would be free to continue with the older version.

It just occurred to me that Quicken might want to offer the option to users who have paid-up "subscriptions" (under the old model) to downloading data to convert to the new model.  Choosing April 2019/2020 matches the expiration date of their current access to downloading.

If getting users onto a common code-base is truly a desire of Quicken, then that might help them accomplish that goal.  It might also spread out the conversions, thereby spreading out the load on their support people.

Just an idea!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

It is an interesting idea, but it really doesn't achieve the main goal of "getting users onto a common code-base".

The main reason for wanting that is so that you don't have to put out patches for multiple year/versions, and so that support doesn't have to remember "how it works in X year/version".  But as long as the older version are supported they can't get away from that.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

Agree with QPW, if Q doesn't make the changeover mandatory and stop supporting 2016+2017, it doesn't cut down on their support requirements.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

It should cut down on Customer Support calls for old versions.  Just wouldn't cut down on creating critical code fixes for old versions.  On the other hand, how many of those are being released for old versions anyway?  (Apologies for being snarky!)
  • ChicagoDan3ChicagoDan3 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm with mshiggins. I do not want to upgrade to QW2018 because there are changes in it I'm not happy with.

I plan on waiting as long as possible to upgrade because I don't expect Quicken to undo any of those changes.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

Rick you are assuming that there will be less support calls if the people are on the new version, than if they are on the old version.  In truth, right now I would think it would be just the opposite.

Currently there isn't really anything in the 2018 release of Quicken that makes it "more stable", and their is certainly new features that do exactly the opposite.

In fact I have had way more crashes in the 2018 release of Quicken than I ever had in (I was going to say Quicken 2017) than any other version of Quicken I have ever had.
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

@Rick Gumpertz
    Lately, either 2016 or 2017 has gotten an update most months.  The CapOne API change required changes in both versions.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

@Splasher did the new mobile get pushed into the older versions too?

These are the kind of efforts that cause "extra work" in the old versions.
    Ironically this is mostly because Quicken Inc is trying to be more responsive than Intuit was.  Something that people posting on here requested.

With Intuit, the cycle usually was patch up till April of that year, and then stop and work on next year's version.  After that point I think they had less than 1/2 a dozen updates in all the years Quicken has existed.  They really didn't have the same support issues, because of this policy.  Well at least on the Windows side.  The Mac side things are changing so fast that it probably is an issue on that side.

At any rate I don't think Quicken Inc will do this, if for no other reason it will take a "command decision" and I doubt it will ever get up that far.
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

@QPW
    I couldn't tell you about mobile.  I don't use it and don't follow it very closely, except to advise staying away from it.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    mshiggins said:

@Splasher, same here.
  • Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited October 2018
    I've "purchased" a 27 month subscription for Quicken Deluxe from Amazon for $54.

But I won't install it until my Quicken 2017 online functionality terminates in April 2020.  
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

I've "purchased" a 27 month subscription for Quicken Deluxe from Amazon for $54.

But I won't install it until my Quicken 2017 online functionality terminates in April 2020.  

If you are not going to install it until 2020, why buy it now?  Why not wait until April 2020?  Just curious...
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

27 months for $54, it doesn't come any cheaper than that.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

Personally I wouldn't wait until April 2020.  That is basically the time where "they have you", not a lot of reason for them to offer big discounts at that time.

From what I have seen the best times to buy tend to be about 1 to 2 months after the "yearly release".  Which is to say when they are pushing their sales, and all the bad reviews are coming in.

Given that there is going to be a "2019 release"  (and I guess a "2020 release"), but in fact people that are already on the subscription will have those changes (at least most of them by that time) and already reported on the problems.  It is hard to call if the same deep discounts will happen, and when.
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

But why buy 27 months when you're going to use 2017 for 20 of those months?  Aren't you really buying 27 - 7 = 7 months for $54?
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

Hopeful1 did not purchase it from Quicken, but from Amazon.  That gets you an activation code that doesn't take affect until until it is applied. 

Now, what is not known for sure, when activated, does it add 27 months to the current subscription or replace the current subscription with a 27 month subscription.

edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

In  that case, it may make sense!
  • Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

I purchased the 27 month subscription on CD, which basically is just a link to the quicken.com website to activate the subscription.  There is no real Quicken software on the CD.

I won't activate the subscription until April 2020, giving me a full 27 months of downloads.

The reason I purchased when I did was because I figured $2 a month was a good enough deal...and I haven't seen it any lower than that during the various Quicken "sales".  

I'm hoping that the Quicken subscription product will finally be a better product than Quicken 2017 by the time 2020 rolls around.