Balance Due wrong on Customer Invoice

I just printed all of next month's invoices and discovered that the TOTAL and BALANCE DUE are identical despite deposits having been made.

I also have an invoice WITH a balance due that has the PAID stamp on it!
4 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    What version and release of Quicken are you using?

If you haven't done
    so already, I'd say it's time to contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone and
    request help.(I'm not going to ask you to show us image snapshots of your invoices but rather suggest that you talk to support and let them review this issue ... who knows, you might have uncovered a bug ...)

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support,
      please use this link only: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support
    • If you have purchased Premium
      Support (separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken
      2018 Premier or above) call the number that can be found at the top of the
      My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to
      "Quicken Premium Support" 
      when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers
      found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts here in the Community,
      may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own
      risk.
    • Unlike other so-called
      "Quicken support providers", this Quicken Support is free for
      supported versions.
  • pdallen1970pdallen1970 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    Thanks - it's on my list when I have "free time" which, with a B&B is rare right now.  I tried to do a chat the other night but the estimated wait time was 17 minutes - after 30 minutes, no one joined and I had to check in guests... usually what happens with these things is it gets fixed in a future release and I just suffer through.

I am using QH&B 2018, R9.34 Build 27.1.9.34
    edited January 13
    Close as I can tell, printing a single invoice from the form works fine. Selecting open invoices and choosing to print a group of them still prints incorrect balances. 
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited January 13
    I am having the same problem with my quicken 2017 home and business.  The invoice does not reflect the current balance due on it.  It just shows the original billed amount even though a parital payment has been received and reconciled.  I chatted on line with 2 different customer service agents.  Neither could help me.  The 2nd rep told me that it works correctly on his end when he posts a partial pmt but he said he was using 2018 program and mine is 2017.  But now as I am doing research I am finding it still doesn't work on 2018 version.  When I email the invoice to the customer the balance does not reflect the partial pmt and the new balance.

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    sunny said:

I am having the same problem with my quicken 2017 home and business.  The invoice does not reflect the current balance due on it.  It just shows the original billed amount even though a parital payment has been received and reconciled.  I chatted on line with 2 different customer service agents.  Neither could help me.  The 2nd rep told me that it works correctly on his end when he posts a partial pmt but he said he was using 2018 program and mine is 2017.  But now as I am doing research I am finding it still doesn't work on 2018 version.  When I email the invoice to the customer the balance does not reflect the partial pmt and the new balance.

Invoices don't show payments. You need to create a Statement to show the balance due.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited August 2018
    sunny said:

It was a new feature in 2018 and worked fine for several months.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    sunny said:

Correct, Paul.
    That was new with 2018.
    But sunny's response seems to indicate that this new feature now also appears to have been made available in Q 2017, warts and all.
    I'm beginning to wonder about the rash of new bugs that we're seeing and if that's a result of the programmers polluting 2016 and 2017 code with code changes made in the 2018 version, on top of insufficient testing.

Somebody at Quicken needs to run this bug report up the food chain to the programmers so it can be fixed.
    edited August 2018
    sunny said:

I just tried a partial payment on Quicken 2017 R17.2 H&B and the payment doesn't show on the Invoice. I'll try it on Quicken 2018 HBR when I get a chance.
  • Quicken AlexQuicken Alex Moderator ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. It looks like a similar issue was reported sometime ago (last year) but the ticket was not resolved by our Product Developers. As such, I am going to resubmit this issue to our PD team. In order to do so, I must be able to reproduce the issue. Please reply here with the exact steps taken to produce this incorrect balance (or unchanging balance) issue. I'll be working to reproduce it in the meantime, it's just helpful to follow the exact steps you've all taken to ensure this gets resolved for everyone.

Looking forward to your responses, and thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
    Alex
    edited January 13
    It happens when using the PRINT>INVOICES option - selecting invoices to print and then printing those selected.  They seem to reflect the proper balances when printed one-at-a-time from the form itself.
    edited August 2018

It happens when using the PRINT>INVOICES option - selecting invoices to print and then printing those selected.  They seem to reflect the proper balances when printed one-at-a-time from the form itself.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for replying so quickly! I'm going to work on reproducing this and getting it reported to our Product Developers. I'll report back here once I've got the bug report submitted for review.

Thank you again,
    Alex
    edited August 2018

Hello Paul,

I've been working on testing this in the latest version of Quicken (R11.18, build 27.1.11.18) and have reproduced what you're seeing a few different ways. I will be submitting my findings to our Product Developers today to determine if this is a bug, or if it is actually by design. 

I'm afraid the PD team may return to advise this is by design and working as intended. Typically, an invoice is the original bill sent to establish and breakdown the billed amount; invoices usually do not update with every partial payment made against that balance owed. Instead, I think you may be looking for a statement, which includes the original billed detail, along with each payment received against the billed amount. If you're on the Business tab in Quicken, click business Actions, hover your cursor over Invoice and Estimates, then select Print Statements. To avoid wasting paper, simply select the print preview. Please let me know if this is more of what you're trying to produce.

I'm still going to submit this as a bug report today, and I'll return once I have an update from our developers.

Thank you,
    Alex
    edited August 2018

They added the "Balance Due" a few updates ago - before that, it wasn't even shown on the invoice.  The problem with a statement, is that you also have to print the invoice to show what the customer was charged for because the statement only shows "balance forward".  So, in my case, we show the room booked, any discounts, etc and the tax.  This detail doesn't print on a statement so it creates twice as much paper use as well as a multi-step process.

I believe it was added due to customer feedback - prior to that, the "fix" was to use the comments section to list payment info and balance due.  Why would they add a "balance due" box if it's not going to reflect the balance due?
    edited August 2018

Hello Paul,

I understand, and agree with you that if there is a "balance due" field, it should certainly reflect the current balance due.

I've submitted the report and am currently waiting for updates. Thank you for your patience in the interim.

Sincerely,
    Alex
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited August 2018
    sunny said:

Thank you everyone for helping me with this problem.  You don't know how happy this makes me.  Thanks Paul and Greg.
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited August 2018

I agree with Paul that printing the stmts and another invoice is crazy and confusing for my customers.  Also the stmts don't give me an option to email them, only print them.  I have quite a few customers who like their invoice emailed to them.  I want to show them updated invoice balances so they can see that their pmt has been applied. Thank you everyone for your help. :)
    edited September 2018
    I don't understand why this is a problem. Balance Due should have never been included on Invoices in Quicken 2018. A Statement show charges and payments as well as Balance Due (just don't have over 500 customers in your address book.). Even QuickBooks works the same way. You can print both the Invoice and Statement as a PDF and then email it.
    edited January 13
    Well, a few updates later and I just printed 14 invoices with incorrect balances due. If it's not going to be fixed, they should remove that line.  This past weekend I overcharged a guest because the "balance due" was wrong.

Any updates?
    edited October 2018
    Hello Paul,

I've checked my help request ticket and our Product Developers confirmed that the invoice "balance due" field is working as designed.

Essentially, the thought behind this is that an invoice is a bill for an account between a buyer and a seller that indicates what was sold, and how much is owed. As such, this bill does not change as payments are made because those are still the original, agreed upon terms of the sale and total amount owed.

A statement is a summary of a customer's invoices and payments and reflects the reduction in the total balance as the payments are made. Sending a monthly statement of the total balance and payment history is standard practice for any business. An invoice would only be re-issued if an error was made or if the terms of the sale have changed and the customer needs to be re-invoiced.

I have submitted a feature request ticket to ask that we add the ability to email statements from within Quicken for easier tracking of the payment history and statement handling. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that our Product Developers will add this ability, but I have provided a link to this conversation to show the need/desire for such an ability.

If I receive an update to confirm this feature will be added, I'll be sure to let everyone on this feed know. In the meantime, I recommend sending Statements to customers, rather than Invoices, to ensure the correct Balance Due is reflected. Once the statements is created, select to print it, set the printer to "Quicken PDF Printer on nul" (in order to save the PDF to your computer), then you may use an external email provider to email the statement. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced in the interim.

Sincerely,
    Alex
    edited October 2018
    @Quicken Alex, can you explain to me why there is both a Total line and a Balance Due line in Quicken 2018 HBR? It seems redundant to have both since they equal the same amount. Why was Balance Due added in 2018? It should be one or the other. FWIW, a partial payment will reduce the Balance Due but it should be on the Statement not the Invoice.

Greg
    edited September 2018

@Quicken Alex, can you explain to me why there is both a Total line and a Balance Due line in Quicken 2018 HBR? It seems redundant to have both since they equal the same amount. Why was Balance Due added in 2018? It should be one or the other. FWIW, a partial payment will reduce the Balance Due but it should be on the Statement not the Invoice.

Greg

Hello Greg,

Unfortunately, I do not know why or when the Balance Due field was added. I'm hoping to get more information with the feature request ticket I submitted to PD.

Sincerely,
    Alex
    edited September 2018

Greg

Sounds like some programmer thought it was a good idea without understanding the difference between Invoices and Statements!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Greg

The thing that annoys me the most is that the Balance Due line was added directly to the printed invoice. It should have been added as a selectable item via the Invoice Forms Designer. That way, a Quicken user can decide if they want it or not.
    edited January 13
    It looks like the balance due line has been removed.  I just created and printed a new invoice and it wasn't on there.

So - for a B&B, what's the best way to provide a quest with a detail of their charges and reflect the deposit paid at time of booking?  Is the intent to create and print an invoice and then create and print a separate statement?  Time-consuming and a waste of time and paper.  Any customization that can be done in reports to create a document?

As a "work around", I use the comments section of the invoice to note deposit paid and date, and balance due... but I sometimes forget which leaves me scrambling at checkout time - that's why I was thrilled when the invoices were reflecting payments made.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
    edited September 2018
    Why bother with an invoice when a statement shows the correct balance due? The problem with showing Balance Due on the Invoice is that the pre-paid deposit doesn't show on the Invoice.
    edited January 13
    The statement only shows the balance brought forward, not the charges.  When a guest checks out, I need to be able to show them the detail of their bill - number of nights, discounts, taxes, etc.

edited January 13
    How is your B&B business structured? Is it a Sole Proprietorship? I don't think Quicken 2018 HBR was designed to be used in a B&B.
    edited September 2018

How is your B&B business structured? Is it a Sole Proprietorship? I don't think Quicken 2018 HBR was designed to be used in a B&B.

We're a (married) partnership and, as innkeepers, live on-site.  Therefore, many expenses are split according to business/personal use.  We'd used Quicken for 15 years before opening the inn and, upon consultation with a Quicken rep, determined that Quicken Home & Business was a good fit.  It would be difficult to use two separate accounting/bookkeeping programs since all household expenses come on one bill.
    edited September 2018

Is your income reported on a Schedule C? Who was the Quicken rep you consulted with? I've never heard of that before. Seems to me that you're trying to force a square peg (your B&B business) into a round hole (Quicken).
    edited September 2018

No - partnerships are pass-through entities with everything reported on a K-1.  The lines from the K-1s are reported on individual returns.

I don't recall who I spoke with - it was 5 years ago. I called in and explained the situation and was told Home & Business would fit the bill.  Frankly, it works just fine when it comes to tracking the splits of business/personal.  The only issue I've come up against is this.  My workaround has been to note payments and balance due in the comments section before printing the invoice.  Then they added the balance due line and I got out of that habit.  And, by the way, the Balance Due line DOES work if the invoice is printed from the form.  It only doesn't work when printing groups/selected invoices.

As a prior user of QuickBooks Pro for 15 years, but with a non-spouse partner, everything was kept separate and I was reimbursed for anything I paid out.  But, that wouldn't work because everything in the partnership name is also personal - credit cards, HELOC, etc.