Subcategories that don't exist show in spending over time report (mac)

Using Quicken Mac Version 5.7.2 (Build 57.23252.100).

Looking at the spending over time for this year and there are sub categories showing up in several places that just don't exist. I've made visible every account and clicked on the subcategory amount and it takes me to transactions, none of which as the category. How do I get rid of them? The totals don't even match when I view transactions. 

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello harty83, appreciate your question.

If you go through the Categories section (Window > Categories) can you find these mystery subcategories?

If you do, you should be able to highlight them and click on the - on the bottom left side of the screen:

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi,

As you can see in the screenshot I provided, they are not in my category list/section. No where to be found. 
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    harty83 said:

Hi,

As you can see in the screenshot I provided, they are not in my category list/section. No where to be found. 

Hello harty83,

Since the screenshots may change, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support so that they can do a screen share and look into this issue further.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Howdy, Harty83.

Your screenshots help, but they show categories in differing Parent:Sub categorization. That might be part of your confusion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't follow. The first screenshot is the report where it shows the phantom sub categories. The second screenshot is the categories management window that show those phantom categories do not exist.
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2018
    harty83 said:

I don't follow. The first screenshot is the report where it shows the phantom sub categories. The second screenshot is the categories management window that show those phantom categories do not exist.

Thanks for replying, harty83

While you might indeed have phantom categories, your screenshots don't confirm that.

Look at the Parent:child arrangement of your categories. In your first screenshot, you have Everyday Expenses: Groceries & Households: Household (what you highlighted).

You also have Everyday Expenses:Rent: Household-your second screenshot of your Categories doesn't show that (likely beneath if you scroll down)

I could be wrong, but I suspect you have some category cleanup in your future. And also, deleting some unused categories. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    harty83 said:

That's exactly the problem! The first screenshot shows the report with the phantom Household categories. The second screenshot is my categories and the two phantom Household categores are no where to be found in my categories. Under any parent or at the root. They simply are not there to cleanup.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Harty83, I don't think you're seeing a category at all; I think you're seeing a *tag*. I don't use this particular report, but I just opened mine and found several "sub-categories" which are actually tags. Is Household one of your tags? Check one of the transactions that is included on one of those Household lines (you can double-click the amount to drill down to the transactions), and I'm guessing you'll see that one or more transactions have a "Household" tag.

The Spending Over Time Report is one of the "old style" reports that was carried over from Quicken Essentials into the modern Quicken Mac. I'd suggest you try the "new style" reports, which are slowly being expanded in capability and will eventually replace those old reports. Under Reports, select New Report. Select Summary, by Category, Subtotal by Month. This is give you a somewhat similar report. You can go to Customize to refine the time period of months you want to see, as well as limit certain accounts if you wish.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    That was it! Thank you! I had no idea tags existed.
  • John_in_NC
    edited August 2018
    harty83 said:

That was it! Thank you! I had no idea tags existed.

I am glad you got it figured out. Your screenshots weren't jiving, so the tag explains things. 

Tags are very useful-don't overlook them. They certainly compliment categories. 
This discussion has been closed.