Additional budget feature - reallocate those rollover funds to another item

Options
Years ago I used  Microsoft Money.  Money had this great feature in the budget where I could reallocate budget funds.  Lets say I budget 100$ for gas but in a particular month I only use 90$ of that 100$.  In MS Money I could reallocate that extra 10$ to another budget item that I might need extra funds on so that I don't show going over my budget.  Quicken comes really close to this with the rollover feature but if could reallocate those rollover funds to another item it would be an awesome feature.
Tagged:

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    One more feature that should be added is the ability to create prepaid items.  For example I often pay my waterbill for many months in advance.  Rather than having an increased payment show up in my budget for that month and then show 0 dollars for future months as that prepay gets drawn down quicken should let me set this up as an prepay account.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options

One more feature that should be added is the ability to create prepaid items.  For example I often pay my waterbill for many months in advance.  Rather than having an increased payment show up in my budget for that month and then show 0 dollars for future months as that prepay gets drawn down quicken should let me set this up as an prepay account.

You said: " I often pay my waterbill for many months in advance"

IMHO, unless you get a substantial discount for prepaying, don't.
    Keep your money in your pocket (or the checking account). Pay only as much as is due right now. That will help your cash flow and maintain a buffer in your bank account for unexpected other expenses, e.g., a car repair or a hospital bill.

Side effect: No more budget spikes.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    When it comes to moving unused money from one category to another ...
    You can easily adjust how much you budget per future month for a given category. Using the Annual View mode of the budget, it's a snap.

This discussion has been closed.