Security price wrong prior to split

nicholas.senedzu
nicholas.senedzu Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
In one of my accounts I hold the security FDGRX, Fidelity Growth Company. On 8/10 Fidelity issues a 10-1 split of the security. Of course Fidelity listed the transaction on my account as a dividend and not a stock split. I manually updated the transaction within Quicken and when I did that the price for the security on some of the days prior to the stock split changed resulting in a chart looking like this,

Upon further investigation I looked at the security price within Quicken during the drops in the chart and noticed the price was incorrect.

If you take a look  you will notice that the closing price changes between 7/12 and 7/13. There is no reason for this change and the closing price on 7/13 was 208.09 but the listed price is 20.809. This is a shift of the decimal point by 1 digit to the left. I noticed this for all the days that the chart is incorrect. This is the same thing for the quick dip in the chart at the beginning of July. Look at the security detail from 7/5 - 7/9 below.

While I know that all I need to do is update the security price on those days I want to know why this pricing changed after the I entered the 10-1 spilt on the security on 8/10. Am I hitting a bug with stock splits?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't think that it's a Q bug ... but rather a bug in the info being received from Q's quotes provider.

I can confirm the same screwy info in QW2018 R11.18 ... which is why I don't think that it's a Q bug.  Same "bug" in both QWin and QMac is unlikely.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• nicholas.senedzu
    edited November 2018
    So while it might not be a bug within Q it is still a issue that is related to Q overall and how things are being received. Someone within Q needs to find out where in the process the issue lies.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

So while it might not be a bug within Q it is still a issue that is related to Q overall and how things are being received. Someone within Q needs to find out where in the process the issue lies.

Since you tagged it as a Problem, and since I was able to confirm the issue ... it'll be brought to the attention of the Q staff.

Just don't expect a fix anytime soon.  Especially, since it doesn't appear to be a bug in Q itself.  They'll need to harass the quotes provider to get anything done.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    How often do stocks split? It's a one time glitch. If it were me (and it is), I'd just correct it and move on. That's what I did.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • nicholas.senedzu
    edited September 2018

I don't expect a fix anytime soon.
  • nicholas.senedzu
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

How often do stocks split? It's a one time glitch. If it were me (and it is), I'd just correct it and move on. That's what I did.

Yes I agree with you that they do not happen often but in my case I own 4 different Fidelity funds across 4 different accounts that all had splits on 8/10. 

Also since the issue appears to have affect several people wouldn't it be nice to have it fixed? 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

Have observed this type Issues and I few occasions, not all of them related to stock splits. As others have stated probably not a Quicken problem easiest way to solve it is to look at the dates with the gras issues and I few occasions, not all of them related to stock splits. As others have stated probably not a Quicken problem easiest way to solve it is to look at the dates with the graph Gets screwy and either delete or modify the info
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

I just noticed it in my account. How did you fix it ? 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

Craig, that depends upon which Q product you have.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I asked Quicken how to fix it. They said to import my Quicken for Windows file into ? Quicken for MAC. That is not going to happen. What I did was download the price file from yahoo. Then imported it into numbers. Muliple the closing price by 10 for the dates you need to change. Then export the file to a cvs file then go to prices in Quicken for mac and import the file. Make sure you turn off only update changed prices. It worked for me. Make sure you don't rebuild the price file. Quicken needs to get their act together ! 
  • nicholas.senedzu
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

Craig, I ended up editing the security prices manually in Quicken and setting the correct price. I have also noticed that this keeps happening on 1 of the funds that I hold. Something is wrong with wherever Q is getting their security pricing from.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

I asked Quicken how to fix it. They said to import my Quicken for Windows file into ? Quicken for MAC. That is not going to happen. What I did was download the price file from yahoo. Then imported it into numbers. Muliple the closing price by 10 for the dates you need to change. Then export the file to a cvs file then go to prices in Quicken for mac and import the file. Make sure you turn off only update changed prices. It worked for me. Make sure you don't rebuild the price file. Quicken needs to get their act together ! 

That's a whole lot of work for what's a VERY simple fix. 

But, again, what Q product are you running... you've referenced BOTH QWin and QMac.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    RickO said:

I had to go back 10 years. So I had to do the import export. It would of taken days to do it manually. It took 3 minutes once I knew how to do it. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

Both Quicken for MAC and Quicken for Windows 2019. The reports in Quicken for MAC suck compared to Quicken for Windows so I run both. It takes some more time to import data in each but it is worth it until Quicken gets there act together. The price file in Quicken for Windows is good. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

In QWin, you can edit/delete prices for any security thusly:

Click INVESTING, Investing Tools, Security Detail View
    Use the dropdown box to select the particular security.
    Click UPDATE, Edit Price History. 

Then change away, to your heart's content.

I believe that there's a similar process in QMac, but since I only run QWin, I can't comment on that.

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This happens to my investment accounts all the time with splits.  It is not a bug with Quicken.  Quicken is just reporting what it get's in the pricing feed.  It is a timing issue.  All you need to do is either change the split date, or update the prices.  Which one you choose to do depends on the situation.  Most of the time I just change the split date and it's fixed and done.  You are making a mountain out of a molehill.  It is not an issue with Quicken.  I am non sure why you are trying so hard to make it an issue, and blaming Quicken.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig and Nicholas, I just read through both of your "fixes".  In my  opinion, your "fixes" created the problem because they just made things worse.  You went from A to B by going to Z.  In the future all you need to do when you have this split issue is to go into the price history of the security and double check that the split date coincides with the date that the price first changes.  If the dates don't match up, just change the date on the split.  That's all you need to do.  If the prices you see don't make sense, go to your FI website to verify the split and prices.  Again Quicken can only report what is on the pricing feed, and the import file.  Most of the time, when you have issues with prices over a long time period, it's  you have the wrong ticker associated with your security.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I did all that. The problem is that in Quicken for MAC the price file that is downloaded are the adjusted prices going back to day one. In Qucken for Windows that is not the case. I was on the chat line with Quicken and they said to go to a finanical institution and download the unadjusted price file. I could not find one so I took the Yahoo price file and made an adjustment for the 10 to 1 split then imported it into Quicklen for MAC. So tell me why the price file for Quicken for MAC is adjusted and the price file for Quicken for Windows is unadjusted. Sounds like a problem with Quicken to me. The problem is that all the reports and graphs are wrong before the split. PS I have the right ticker. It happened when Fidelity Contra and Fidelity Magellan and other Fidelity funds did a 10 to 1 split on August 9, 2018. Go check the price file. 
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

I did all that. The problem is that in Quicken for MAC the price file that is downloaded are the adjusted prices going back to day one. In Qucken for Windows that is not the case. I was on the chat line with Quicken and they said to go to a finanical institution and download the unadjusted price file. I could not find one so I took the Yahoo price file and made an adjustment for the 10 to 1 split then imported it into Quicklen for MAC. So tell me why the price file for Quicken for MAC is adjusted and the price file for Quicken for Windows is unadjusted. Sounds like a problem with Quicken to me. The problem is that all the reports and graphs are wrong before the split. PS I have the right ticker. It happened when Fidelity Contra and Fidelity Magellan and other Fidelity funds did a 10 to 1 split on August 9, 2018. Go check the price file. 

I am not sure why there would be a difference between Mac and Win.  But even so, to correct the problem all you needed to do in that case is simply delete the split transaction.  I know this because MS Money used to do it the same way as Mac.  Rather than do a split transaction, they simply adjusted the historical prices.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

Then the # of shares going forward are wrong. 
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig said:

Then your prior shares where wrong also.  You can't have it both ways.  But if you need to adjust, one time, for the number of shares going forward, so be it.  Bottom line, when you get the next split just keep in mind that you should not be changing historical prices manually.  You will have issues if you ever reload your historical prices down the road.  I am not sure about the Mac version, but for Win, you can reload up to 5 years  of historical prices of a security automatically. If you ever have manually change a large amount of date/prices, and no one else has an issue, either you have a data file issue, or you are going about things the wrong way.
  • nicholas.senedzu
    edited November 2018
    SimonSezSo I don't think you understand what my problem is here. In my case the security was around $205 through July. When the split occurred in August the price of the security changed to around $20.50 on random dates in July. There is no reason that the previous prices of the security in Quicken should have changed. What we did to fix the issues didn't make things any worse then they were. The split occurred in August and the security prices that changed were random dates in July. Deleting, updating, changing the date, etc of the split is not going to fix anything as there is nothing wrong with the split or the split date. The issue is that the security price changed at random, from $205 to $20.50. This is what I explained in my original post and appears to be the same issue that Craig has had.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I see.  But never the less, Quicken can only upload what is in the pricing file.  Another reason why you could have gotten those prices is if a transaction was posted on those days with the spit price rather than the pre-split price.  Did you have any transactions manual or downloaded, on those days, even if you subsequently deleted them?  Otherwise, the only way the prices could have been updated is if historical prices where either loaded from a pricing file, or automatically loaded through Quicken (using the Historical Price function)
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Did you compare the prices loaded in Quicken with prices from Fidelity?  That would have been my first step after finding incorrect prices.  If it is just an anomaly of one or a few prices, I personally don't worry about it.  I would just fix them and move on.  After reading a lot of posts on here, there seems to be some quirky "one-off" things happening with Fidelity feeds from time to time.  All have the same theme - timing issues with the upload file.
  • nicholas.senedzu
    edited November 2018
    I never said anything about uploading anything into Quicken. However Quicken pulls the security prices into Quicken is the way the prices get there. I do not upload any pricing files or enter anything manually. All of the security prices were correct in Quicken until the split transition was download. This is when HISTORICAL prices prior to the split date changed within Quicken. There were no transactions on the dates that the prices changed. Whoever is providing Quicken with the pricing data is changing historical prices for some reason. While this may not be a problem in the Quicken software itself it is a problem with how Quicken gets their pricing data hence this is a problem with Quicken and not user error.

• SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

I never said anything about uploading anything into Quicken. However Quicken pulls the security prices into Quicken is the way the prices get there. I do not upload any pricing files or enter anything manually. All of the security prices were correct in Quicken until the split transition was download. This is when HISTORICAL prices prior to the split date changed within Quicken. There were no transactions on the dates that the prices changed. Whoever is providing Quicken with the pricing data is changing historical prices for some reason. While this may not be a problem in the Quicken software itself it is a problem with how Quicken gets their pricing data hence this is a problem with Quicken and not user error.

Did you check your register for any transactions on those days?  If  so, what prices are those transactions using?
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

A historical price can be affected/updated when a transaction using a different price is posted to Quicken.  The price will remain there even after you delete the transaction.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

You do upload information into Quicken by OSU, or any time you download from your FI's website.
  • SimonSezSo
    SimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Did you try loading Historical prices for that security?  That might fix your problem.  I would of course do a back up first.  After you do the Historical price load, check your prices again  to see if anything changed.  Keep in mind that any prices that you manually changed, my be overwritten. The attached screen print is from Quicken Help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I am done with Simon until he trys it in Quicken for MAC. I did not upload the file when it happened . Quicken pulled it and it is a adjusted price file. The 10 to 1 split happened on August 9, 2018. The # of shares has to increase with the price decreasing by 10. This is not rocket science. It is a flaw in Quicken for MAC and not a problem for Quicken for Windows. 
This discussion has been closed.