Gain/Loss 12-month and Avg. Return (%) 1 - Year are Incorrect

TPerk100
TPerk100 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Win 10 Pro, Q17 Premier, but same problem has been with previous versions as well.

Purchased annuity in 2011. Not knowing how to do it any better, I created an investment account named "Annuity." I bought one share of ABC Annuity. The annuity value cannot be downloaded, so I periodically (about once every couple of months) go to Price History and update it with current value. 

Problem is that Portfolio View, Gain/Loss 12-Month shows entire gain since 2011 and Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-Year shows total return since 2011.

i suspect I am doing something wrong, but I do not know what it is. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Does your Buy show a purchase date in 2011, and is the price history accurate back to 2011 as well?

I suggest you go to Reports > Investing > Investment Performance and select the account in question and the date range "Last 12 months."  Do the results look correct there? This report will show the details Quicken is using for the IRR calculation. and should match what it is showing for the Avg Annual Return % 1-yr in the Portfolio views.

Note that in this report and in the Avg Annual Return calculations, Quicken uses the closing price on the day before the start of the period as its starting price. If it doesn't have a price for that day, it uses the last previous price in the price history. Thus for accurate results, you must have the correct share price for the end of the period and for the day before the start of the period.

For Last 12 months as of 9/8/2018, the date range will be 9/9/17 through 9/8/18 and the prices must be correct 9/8/2017 and 9/8/2018.

For a "Last year" report dated 1/1/2017 to 12/31/2017, the prices must be correct for 12/31/2016 and 12/31/2017. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Jim,

I suspected it might have something to do with my entered prices. I do have a purchase date transaction from 2011, but I do NOT have  period ending and beginning prices. Since 2011 I have updated price randomly without regard to periods. I am not even sure I can get the data at this point, but I will try to and will try to see if entering period price data makes a difference.

Thanks much!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You don't need to have a lot of price data, but the ones for the beginnings and ends of the periods are important. You may be able to download old statements and get the prices from them, or perhaps you can download the price history from the financial institution. Check Quicken's Help for info on how to import price history if you can get it in CSV format.

Also check your price history to make sure there is not extraneous data there - dates where the price goes to zero or back to your original 2011 price for example. You can safely delete any bad prices, but back up your data file first, just in case.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.