Register Balances Wrong

Options
More problems since the latest update to 11.18.  I'm using PC version 2018 Quicken Premier.

Yesterday I reported the problem where my checking account register would show the wrong balance information in the register.  I noticed this after entering manually a deposit.  The date was the same day I was entering, but it put the transaction below the blue line as though it was a future date.  I had to exit the program and went back in.  Then I noticed the register balances also changed by several hundred dollars after this transaction went in the correct place (and the amount was not equal to the change).  I exiting again and when I went back into Quicken the register balances had changed yet again.

Now today in my other checking account duplicate transactions are now showing up.

I've been a Quicken user and supporter going back to the 90's.  This is the worst experience I have ever had with the software.

I did report a problem using the option in the help menu.  I hope these problems are resolved by the company quickly.  With my schedule, I don't have time for a lengthy phone call to support.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know about the issues.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Patricia Ponthier
    Patricia Ponthier Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Same here.  My household checking account jumped to $828,000 and the only way I could change it was to make a balance adjustment to actual. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

1) Let's make sure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.2 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 ... Release R 11.18 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 4.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already
    :

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Are you using Sync to Mobile?
    If yes, stop and turn off Sync. Do not use Sync until further notice.

3) Restore your Quicken
    data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
    occurring. Your current data file may have been stepped on.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Holy arithmetic Batman! I'm having similar problems with my register balances and disappearing/reappearing manual deposit transactions after updating Windows Premier 2018 to R11.18 Build 27.1.11.18 (not using Sync or Mobile). In one case, it counts a deposit as a withdrawal and even then doesn't do the math correctly  (see screenshot). Are there any updates on the above issues and suggested resolutions?

Much like JAY TAYLOR above, all the transactions fall into place and register balances correct themselves after I close / re-open Quicken.
    Quicken user since 1991 - Premier Subscription, Windows 7
  • mousehouse
    mousehouse Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Have the same problem when I transfer money from from saving to checking or from savings goals to checking.  I have Quicken Deluxe 2018, version R11.18, build 27.1.11.18.  I transferred 1200.00 from savings to checking it showed up on checking as a deposit but it deducted 294.96 from my balance.  I had to manually change the amount to 1000.00 than back to 1200.00 for the program enter it correctly.
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

Holy arithmetic Batman! I'm having similar problems with my register balances and disappearing/reappearing manual deposit transactions after updating Windows Premier 2018 to R11.18 Build 27.1.11.18 (not using Sync or Mobile). In one case, it counts a deposit as a withdrawal and even then doesn't do the math correctly  (see screenshot). Are there any updates on the above issues and suggested resolutions?

Much like JAY TAYLOR above, all the transactions fall into place and register balances correct themselves after I close / re-open Quicken.

For example, did installing the mondo patch resolve the issues for OP?
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I applied the R11.18 mondo patch as suggested above - the behavior still persists. Here are some additional specifics:
    • For me, the issue occurs on inter-account transfers. 
    • Balances of the originating/sending account are debited correctly
    • In the receiving account register, the corresponding deposit transaction is placed below the blue "today" line even though the transaction is dated today (in sending acct, txn is placed above blue today line)
    • In the receiving account, the corresponding deposit transaction is incorrectly treated as a withdrawal and the register balance is debited/reduced, instead of crediting the register balance as it should. Although the txn amount displays in the deposit register column. Additionally, the register balance reduction is arithmetically incorrect. It reduces the balance by a seemingly random number rather than the amount of the transaction (see screenshot). 
    • In the account bar, the current balance of the receiving account is credited correctly for the deposit transaction (i.e. the account bar & register balances for the account are inconsistent)
    • All register balance & display issues in the receiving account correct themselves after exiting & reopening Quicken. The issues also correct themselves after a one step update & reconciliation (without exiting Quicken)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    HAB 2018 R11.18 Build 27.1.11.18 is not updating the checking account balance. Even the date appears as a future transaction sometimes.  Totals are way off. And requires closing Quicken and Restarting.

This is a BAD UPDATE! 

FIX THIS PLEASE!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account balance totals not updating correctly.

Balance totals not updating properly when you jump out from one account to another, make an update that affects the original account you were working on... doesn't re-total until you exist the program and come back in.  Amazingly looking through community notes, people have noticed this issue years back... will it be ever addressed... waisted hours trying to go through a register to find out where I could have made a mistake.  Just bought the latest version, 2018.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account balance totals not updating correctly.

Balance totals not updating properly when you jump out from one account to another, make an update that affects the original account you were working on... doesn't re-total until you exist the program and come back in.  Amazingly looking through community notes, people have noticed this issue years back... will it be ever addressed... waisted hours trying to go through a register to find out where I could have made a mistake.  Just bought the latest version, 2018.

This has happened a few times before. You are absolutely correct. I have been using Quicken Windows for 28 Years and it baffles me that some of the core functionality is problematic at times. My current bank account register contains 17 years of transactions. So when the totals get messed up and you are 100% sure they are caused by the program because you are clearing transactions by visiting my credit unions website. It is very scary thought that the register is off somehow. And when its off its by thousands of dollars.

This is another reason I never will and never had sync'd my bank accounts and credit card accounts. Too much can go wrong and blow out your registers.

Even the Quicken APP can wreak havoc on your bank accounts. I prefer Quicken being disconnected from any syncing just for this reason.

But registers getting out of balance is unacceptable. 

Everyone likes a nice update to their software to freshen things up but frankly this new business model of frequent updates is really bad and unnecessary. The UI and function of Quicken HAB has been unchanged for years in any significant way.  
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For me, this is resolved and issues described above no longer occur. Register balances and Acct Bar balances now update immediately & correctly on inter acct xfers. I believe it was resolved as of QW R12.15, but maybe later (I skipped a few minor releases). It's definitely resolved as of R14.27.
This discussion has been closed.