My system was hacked - BACK UP FILE ONLY THRU 2016 - Please help need to add 2017/2018 transactions

Options
My system was hacked and back up file only has transactions thru 2016 (dont ask smh) well I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to get quicken updated with 2017 -2018 transactions - PLEASE HELP

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm not following. What does a hacking have to do with what dates of data are in your Quicken file?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Have you done a Window's search of your computer for any files ending in .QDF or .QDF-backup?  They would be, respectively, Quicken-data-files and the backups for those files.

When you find a QDF, try opening it to see what data is there.  If you find a .QDF-backup, try using it as a Restore file in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I'm not following. What does a hacking have to do with what dates of data are in your Quicken file?

my computer was hacked/effected by a virus.  When our IT department went to restore they could only restore thru 2016, basically the last time I had did a back up I'm guessing.  I thought it was auto backing up per a previous IT person's information, but we found out after the virus that this wasn't the case.  I have to now add transactions for 2017/2018 to make it current.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Have you done a Window's search of your computer for any files ending in .QDF or .QDF-backup?  They would be, respectively, Quicken-data-files and the backups for those files.

When you find a QDF, try opening it to see what data is there.  If you find a .QDF-backup, try using it as a Restore file in Q.

Yes, that's actually how we were able to locate data thru 2016.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options

Well, you've got a big problem ... because many banks/cards/brokerages/etc will only download the prior 90 days when the download is initiated from within Q.

You MIGHT, however, meet with some success if you try initiating the downloads directly from the websites of those Financial Institutions.  SOME, allow a greatly extended download period thru this route.

Otherwise, sorry to say, you've got a lot of typing to do.

BUT, you mention an "IT Department".  So it sounds like this Q is being used for business purposes.  So, I find it to be a bit strange that company policy doesn't require more frequent backups ... and preferably to a Company server or to a USB or CD drive.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

"I thought it was auto backing up per a previous IT person's information"

If you were using Quicken Windows automatic backup that is next to useless for this kind of problem (and one reason I don't use it).

The automatic backups go into a sub folder called BACKUP in the same folder as where your QDF file is.  So that disk crashes or something (virus) wipes out files like your QDF file, it will most likely get those automatic backups at the same time.

You need to backup to something that is "off of your system" and preferably being backuped too (or cycled say through multiple USB drives).

The manual backups allow you to give a location that would fulfill that requirement.
    And Quicken and remind you to do it X many times you exit Quicken (or just do Ctrl+B).

But personally I backup all my files with both a local and remote copy, so I don't rely on Quicken's backup.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

It's the personal finances of the companies Chairman so it's on business computer but personal.  Fingers crossed SunTrust and Chase Credit Card allow the greatly extended download period.  thank you
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Yes, going forward I'm backing up to a flash drive - this has been a nightmare.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I have some bad news for you, Chase Credit Card information is restricted to 5 months.  That includes QFX/QIF/CSV files.  Only the PDF statements go back farther.

Find the downloading of QFX files is a bit hard so I will give you the instructions I found.  Click on the link to show the account, then you will see a "download icon" (upside down T) from there you can select what format and date range you want.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thank you - SunTrust goes back 18 months so that was helpful and I will take what I can for chase - it's better than nothing - thank you so much. 
This discussion has been closed.