Payee over-written and splits removed when reconcile in Q2018

Upgraded from Q2016 to 3018. I enter checking and credit card transactions manually. Now when account is reconciled all payees are overwritten and splits converted to single category. Running Win 10 and bank is USAA. AGENT SAID Nee Mondo Patch GEN00055 will correct the problem but had to uninstall and go back to Q2016. Must ask for refund if patch not released soon or can i obtain an extenstion of my subscription until fixed.as am long time Quicken user and this is first serious problem over the years and i do expect a resolution so i can make use of my 2 year subscription.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You use the term "reconcile", but I believe that you are actually referring to the process of downloading transactions to the register and having Quicken match them up to your manually entered transactions.

Reconciling is what happens when you do Tools->Reconcile an account or Ctrl+R and doesn't do anything to your data as you have described.

Please clarify the exact steps that you are doing that is causing your problem.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    In addition to splasher's comment, this part of your message makes no sense:
    AGENT SAID Nee Mondo Patch GEN00055
    It's possible that Quicken's Mondo patch will help you ... but what does GEN00055 mean?

The mondo patch for QW2018 is here: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In addition to splasher's comment, the part of your message makes no sense:
    It's possible that Quicken's Mondo patch will help you ... but what does GEN00055 mean?

The mondo patch for QW2018 is here: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

but what does GEN00055 mean?
    If look at the search results on the help pages you will see the GENxxxx numbers, that is what it refers to.  But unfortunately for this case it doesn't seem like it matches GEN00055 while searching, so the customer support must have a more complete list.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Yes, two weeks ago the agent said to search for Mondo Patch GEN00055 which was expected to be out soon. I copied the reference from my phone chat. I did not have anything like this happen with Q 2016. I cannot find others with same problem in this forum.  Probably need to request a refund or delay of the beginning of my subscription awaiting the patch. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    In response to Splasher's comment: "You use the term "reconcile", but I believe that you are actually referring to the process of downloading transactions to the register and having Quicken match them up to your manually entered transactions," this is possible, but the reconcile seemed to be automatic immediately after downloading the transactions. I think they momentarily looked OK but I could be wrong and it may be that the entries are modified during the download itself. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the fault of the USAA bank not having updated software to interface with the 2018 update of Quicken? It certainly worked fine with my 2016 version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

In response to Splasher's comment: "You use the term "reconcile", but I believe that you are actually referring to the process of downloading transactions to the register and having Quicken match them up to your manually entered transactions," this is possible, but the reconcile seemed to be automatic immediately after downloading the transactions. I think they momentarily looked OK but I could be wrong and it may be that the entries are modified during the download itself. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the fault of the USAA bank not having updated software to interface with the 2018 update of Quicken? It certainly worked fine with my 2016 version.

Could it be the fault of the USAA bank not having updated software to interface with the 2018 update of Quicken? 
    OK first off are your USAA accounts setup as Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?
    To setup USAA accounts using Direct Connect use your customer number and PIN, not the website username and password.  That will get you a more reliable connection.  But that isn't the current problem.

Next from your above description you have automatic reconcile on.  And most likely automatic transaction entry mode on too.  That is a bad combination.

When in automatic transaction entry mode your transactions go directly into the register, and from there you are suppose to "review" them.  As in the the Status column will show New (blue dot) or New match (blue pencil) and you can click on that icon to select it being reviewed or to unmatch.  If you don't see New/NewMatch text expand the Status column.

This won't fix any problem where Quicken 2018 is somehow overriding your split transaction, but at least you will be able to see it and see if unmatching is the key.
    As in it might have match to the wrong transaction, and that is the problem.

The problem with automatic reconcile is that it is only concerned about the amounts, and it doesn't care if the matches were correct or if the categories are correct.  But after it runs it clears the Status column not giving any chance to review/unmatch.

Now I sure as I'm typing this the others will be telling you to turn off automatic transaction entry mode.  And that is also a good way to get a handle on this problem.

That way the transaction first to go a Downloaded Transactions tab, and you then should accept them one at a time into the register, reviewing them be for the accepting and unmatching as needed.

If automatic reconcile is on, it will happen after you have accepted all the transactions in to the register in this mode.

That setting is at: Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Automatically add to... (one for investment accounts and one for non investment accounts).

To turn off automatic reconcile right click on the account in the account bar and select Edit/Delete account -> Online Services tab -> and deselect Reconcile using online balance.  Close that dialog.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

P.S. I'm using Quicken 2018 R11.20 and I have USAA accounts setup for Direct Connect, and I'm not having this problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks, QPW-- this may indeed be my problem. I uninstalled the 2018 program so cannot check but the reconcile was immediate and automatic so it must have defaulted to that option. I had Direct Connect in Q2016 and just assumed it was transferred to the new program but will certainly check this when I re-install Q2018. Am in travel now with only Q 2016 on my laptop so will have to wait until returning to my desktop. Too bad the Customer Service agent did not know about this issue or understand my problem as I hope you do. Will first install the latest 2018 Mondo whatever name it is given. Also make data backups in case there is a recurrence of problem. Again, thanks for the clear analysis and suggested fix!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Just so you know your Quicken account at:
    https://signin.quicken.com/signin?response_type=code&client_id=quicken_estore&redirect_uri=https%3A//www.quicken.com/qam-callback

will have the install for the 2018 release, but of course if you don't have the Quicken 2016 install it wouldn't be a good idea to uninstall because you couldn't get back to that version until you got home.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks, QPW-- I will not take a chance although I did copy the downloaded Q2016 program to a portable drive. I really think this will work and will let you know when I get back home in 2 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.