When there is no prior history, how do I enter a yearly or monthly budget goal amount in a new Budge

I have Deluxe 2018 5.8.0 with a new file and just five months of 2018 data. I'd like to put in budget goal amounts below the actuals. I find no way to do this. There is no history in Quicken -- only previous budget amounts from the organization.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    QMac or QWin?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Mac Deluxe 5.8.0
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

Mac Deluxe 5.8.0

You have to start from somewhere. If you have no prior history, then your actuals will be zero for the past. Let your actual history build. It takes time to flesh in the details. 

Your goals in the early days will likely be wishful thinking if you don't have historical data; it is only after you evaluate your true spending (over time) when you realize your true goals/actual. In QMac, when you create your new budget for the next year, you will have the option to create it from historical data, zero values, or last year's values. 

Perhaps I am not understanding your question. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Mac Deluxe 5.8.0

I take this statement:
    I'd like to put in budget goal amounts below the actuals. I find no way to do this. 
    to mean that David Maynard doesn't see where to enter the budget numbers, not that he doesn't have some numbers in mind.

@David Maynard maybe if you can post a screenshot of the problem you are having John In NC can point you in the right direction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Mac Deluxe 5.8.0

QPW is correct. I have budget numbers from previous treasurers -- just not in Quicken. I'll attempt to get  screen shot.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

Mac Deluxe 5.8.0

When viewing a budget, you should see "Edit Budget" at the top. There is where you can enter budget goals:

There, you can enter budget goal amounts. You can also select which categories to track within your budget.

You won't be able to enter "actual" values for prior periods as all of that is based off transactional history. I don't know if that is what you are looking to do.
This discussion has been closed.