What does upgrade 17.4 fix?

leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭
Why is it so difficult for Quicken support to publish some sort of release notes or fix list with each upgrade accessible via the Help button?
Does anyone know what 17.4 fixes?
Quicken asked for an upgrade with no box explaining what the release upgrade fixes.

Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe on Windows 7 & 10 Pro

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Release R17.4 (US Versions, June 2018)

Before you take this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud and also make a backup of your data file.

• Fixed: An issue where One Step Update could fail after updating a financial institution password in Quicken. 

Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • ChicagoDan3ChicagoDan3 Member
    edited January 22
    It fixes the crash that occurs in QW2017 when entering scheduled transactions.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Before you take this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud and also make a backup of your data file.

• Fixed: An issue where One Step Update could fail after updating a financial institution password in Quicken. 

There was no choice to take or not take.  It started updating immediately on Windows 10. 
    edited September 2018

How did you find that info?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

There is a choice if you set Windows UAC to ask you before allowing updates.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited September 2018

I was following the issue and saw Quicken Sarah had responded to several of the posts about the crash that the fix was available in 17.4
  • Hendrik Gerrit MerisonHendrik Gerrit Merison Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

With the Quicken subscription comes a Tech Support, but you knew that, didn't you?
    So why not ASK THEM?
    edited September 2018

Wait on hold for something that should be documented?
    edited September 2018

That option worked for Windows 7 but the same option did not stop Quicken from auto-updating on Windows 10.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Really? It's working for me on Windows 10.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited September 2018

Its working for me on Windows 10 too.  I've been rejecting the patches since 17.1.
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Member
    edited October 2018
    Fully agree with Mike-Deluxe's question.  Further more, why can't they put in an accept/decline patch so I can see what its doing before it blindly rolls over my current version?  With recent patch history, I would like to come to community and see if, perhaps, some people have had any problems before I run the patch.  I am a Windows support person and have had plenty of zero day problems with MS patches so I usually like to wait a day/week or two to see what problems others have had before I update the systems I support.  Recent Quicken patches have made me want the same strategy with them.  
    CB
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Fully agree with Mike-Deluxe's question.  Further more, why can't they put in an accept/decline patch so I can see what its doing before it blindly rolls over my current version?  With recent patch history, I would like to come to community and see if, perhaps, some people have had any problems before I run the patch.  I am a Windows support person and have had plenty of zero day problems with MS patches so I usually like to wait a day/week or two to see what problems others have had before I update the systems I support.  Recent Quicken patches have made me want the same strategy with them.  
    CB

Note in the two days since the last post in this thread they did update the documentation:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
    edited September 2018

CB

Sometimes Quicken prompts to install the patch , other times it tries to run automatically when quicken starts. I think it alternates.

It would be nice if it always prompted.

Having to use UAC to prevent the automatic install is annoying.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

CB

P.S. From what I have seen those release notes are sent out with the updates, but it is how people are getting the updates that causes them not to see them.

There are three ways you can get the update.
    1. After running One Step Update, it will show it in the summary.
    2. Help -> Check for updates.
    3. If you have not updated using the first two options, every few days Quicken checks for updates and runs them at start up.
    The first two will present you with the release notes.
    The last one is done as a "silent" install and as such shows no dialogs including the release notes.

The fundamental problem here is the fact that #3 is run as a silent install.
    edited September 2018

CB

I think it also prompts when exiting quicken.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

CB

Having to use UAC to prevent the automatic install is annoying.
    I definitely think that Quicken should prompt before installing, but I won't think of turning off the UAC prompt.  There are just too many situations where letting any install run without asking, is asking for trouble.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

CB

I think it also prompts when exiting quicken.
    I don't remember such a case, but maybe if a person is asking to sync to mobile or maybe even do a backup (both of which I don't do) it might prompt at that time.

The real point is that the one at startup doesn't prompt, and as such you will never see the release notes until they update the website.
    edited September 2018

CB

I would never turn it off either. It’s startling when UAC pops up when I start quicken. Prompting when I exit quicken should be enough.
    edited September 2018

CB

Maybe the prompt is part of the backup. Not sure. But I definitely get prompted every couple times I exit quicken. I’m still on 16.2 and waiting a little on 17.4.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

CB

Once Quicken sees an update to install, it will try to install it on every start.  And as such you will get prompted every time until you actually install the latest patch.

On the prompt when you exit.  Like I said it might be prompting you for that install, I don't know.  In general I don't "hold off" patches so I have no knowledge of that behavior.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

CB

BTW just to be clear the UAC prompt isn't just for install programs.  It is a prompt for when any program requests raised permissions.  For instance you can see such a prompt by asking to run a program in Administrator mode.
  • Tom MTom M Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Same here.  It's how I avoided 17.2, which appeared to be really buggy.
This discussion has been closed.