Can't adjust field length in "Portfolio", "Enter Transactions" Advice?

Laura Talley Powell
Laura Talley Powell Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Under the Portfolio, enter transaction fields (not the pop up Enter Transactions) I can no longer adjust the field width meaning I have to slide the bar to enter amounts. If you do enter the amount and then do the slide bar to reach the ENTER button, the amount is removed.
What is HAPPENING to the past solid Quicken Program. It is buggy as heck!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Are you using QMac or QWin?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Laura Talley Powell
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

QWin
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are you saying that the Investment Account register view is too wide to fit the Quicken window?
    How wide is the field labelled "Description"? If it's excessively wide, you can make it smaller by dragging the vertical divider line to the right of the "Description" column header left.
    You can also try to make the Quicken window itself wider, if it isn't already covering the full screen.
    And you can temporarily close the Account Bar to make more room for the register by clicking the triangle to the left of the Account Bar header.

If that doesn't help, please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy
    but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

Year and version will help to pin down exactly where you are seeing this problem.
  • Laura Talley Powell
    edited September 2018
    mshiggins said:

2018 Version R11.20   Build 27.1.11.20
  • Laura Talley Powell
    edited September 2018
    The Description field is 2-2 1/2" wide. It will not adjust nor will any other column in the investment window. I could close out the account bar docked to the right but I've never had to do that. An adjustment in width would do what I need. I have Quicken full screen on a full monitor. I can change the monitor display size and it makes everything smaller and there is no longer a slide bar but I shouldn't need to do that. I just NEED to be able to resize the width of the columns.
  • Laura Talley Powell
    edited September 2018

• Laura Talley Powell
    edited October 2018

The first snip is with my monitor adjusted to show all columns and the width.
    The second snip is with my monitor where I normally keep it. Either way, you can not adjust the width of the columns.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

The second snip is with my monitor where I normally keep it. Either way, you can not adjust the width of the columns.

I'm not sure why you can't adjust the columns.  I'm using the same version of Quicken as you are, and here are my columns set at the minimum possible:

Note that even though people have complained, that is the minimum you can set the Description column.  And also most people find that they can in fact adjust the columns, but don't try adjusting them larger.  If you can adjust them larger it isn't the fact that you can't adjust them, it something is deciding that you have already hit the minimum size.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

BTW for what it is worth.  On my Windows 10 computer using the video processor built into the CPU I don't see the problem with the Enter button not showing when I slide the scroll bar over.  Not that I doubt you are seeing it on your machine, there have been many "refresh" problems in Quicken over quite a few years.

I personally find using the Enter Transactions dialog easier and "more reliable" then entering directly into the register.  But if I was I probably would just use the Enter key on my keyboard instead of trying to click that button.
  • Laura Talley Powell
    edited October 2018
    Thanks to you both. I guess it is a matter of the new Quicken owners needing better program writers to get the bugs out. I never had issues until it was sold. Just to clarify. The enter button doesn't disappear. If you enter an amount and slide, the amount disappears. From all you both said, it seems they have a locked description field that no longer allows shortening. BUMMER

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Thanks to you both. I guess it is a matter of the new Quicken owners needing better program writers to get the bugs out. I never had issues until it was sold. Just to clarify. The enter button doesn't disappear. If you enter an amount and slide, the amount disappears. From all you both said, it seems they have a locked description field that no longer allows shortening. BUMMER

I never had issues until it was sold.
    I certainly did.  In any given release for the last 10 years (because that is when I started looking) I have been able to find no less than 50 bugs.  Many of ones that have repeated for many years.

In fact since the new company was formed I have seen many of those bugs that have never been addressed fixed.  Unfortunately I have also seen them introduce a lot of new problems.

As one person put it.  With Intuit is was one step forward and two steps back.  With Quicken Inc it is more like two steps forward and one back.

Most of the "visual" problems with Quicken started in the Quicken 2012 to 2014 timeframe, which was when Intuit owned Quicken.

What's more Intuit sold the Quicken division, that includes the developers that choose to go to the new company.  Which from what I can gather was most of them.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

From C. D. Bales:

"I guess it is a matter of the new Quicken owners needing better program writers to get the bugs out. I never had issues until it was sold."

The "new Quicken owners" are using the exact same "program writers" that worked on Quicken when Quicken was owned by Intuit.

That means that you're complaint boils down to this: the very same "program writers" who caused you no issues when they were Intuit, Inc. employees, have suddenly begun causing you issues now that they are Quicken, Inc. employees.

In other words: nonsense.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Laura Talley Powell
    edited September 2018

QPW that makes sense. CD Bales maybe oversight needs improving. All I know is I personally never had issues until this year. I lost a reconciliation. My figures were totally screwed up. I had my printout showing my beginning and ending balances and all that was reconciled. The next reconciliation the opening balance was totally wrong. NEVER did I have instability and screw ups like I’m seeing now. Something is happening. It isn’t on my end. It is on theirs. I’ve used Quicken as a paid bookkeeper and for personal since Microsoft Money went out. A LONG time.
This discussion has been closed.