Change downloaded date?

Sometimes my bank's auto pay ends up paying bills (like the mortgage) twice in one month if the first falls on a weekend.  Can I change the date that downloads into Quicken so as not to mess up my budget?

Comments

• Rick Gumpertz
    Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are you saying that the bill gets PAID twice or that the payment gets REPORTED twice?

Version & Release of Quicken?  Windows or Mac?
  • Rick Gumpertz
    Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are you saying it gets paid once at the beginning of the month and then again at the end of the month (for the following month)?

What date are you trying to change?

Have you considered changing the payments to be made a day or two early (on the last day of the preceding month) or late (assuming there is a grace period) on perhaps the 5th of the month?  Would either of those take care of your problem?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can change the date of the transaction once it is in the register and saved.  The Downloaded Posting Date (not normally visible) is not editable.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Cynthia Lagueux
    Cynthia Lagueux Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you mean the posting date, this can be changed by right-clicking on the transaction to bring up the menu, then holding Ctrl & hitting the Copy on the menu.
    This will display a dialog box where the posting date is editable.
    I have had to do this when somehow the Posting date is completely unrelated to the transaction date for no apparent reason, causing the transaction to be outside my reconciliation period.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

If you mean the posting date, this can be changed by right-clicking on the transaction to bring up the menu, then holding Ctrl & hitting the Copy on the menu.
    I have had to do this when somehow the Posting date is completely unrelated to the transaction date for no apparent reason, causing the transaction to be outside my reconciliation period.

Cynthia Lagueux  The transaction date is any date you choose to put in.  The posting date is from the financial institution which they send as part of the transaction.  So the posting date is the official date that the transaction cleared the financial institution.

And note that the "Ctrl & hitting the Copy on the menu." no longer works to change the posting date.  It has been "broken" for a few years now.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Point of clarification, the posting date referred to by @Cynthia Lagueux is not the same field as the Downloaded Posting Date. 

I have no explanation why, but Quicken has seen fit to have two posting date fields.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, the payments are due the 1st of the month.  I could start paying them the 28th or so of the month before I guess.  Changing the date after its in the system will fix it for me.  I was concerned it would throw off something in reconcile but I'm thinking with an accounting mind (Quickbooks) where dates are uber important.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!  Today is my first day with Quicken!!!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Yes, the payments are due the 1st of the month.  I could start paying them the 28th or so of the month before I guess.  Changing the date after its in the system will fix it for me.  I was concerned it would throw off something in reconcile but I'm thinking with an accounting mind (Quickbooks) where dates are uber important.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!  Today is my first day with Quicken!!!

I would do reminders for the 1st of the month (auto entered one day in advance) and then when the downloaded transactions show up, they should match to the already in place transaction from the reminder.

• Cynthia Lagueux
    Cynthia Lagueux Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

QPW - This is not broken, I used yesterday just to check that my instructions were correct, and I have the subscription version of Quicken 2018/online whatever that is, so I am up to date.  Since Quicken has seen fit to add another posted date field (I shake my head) maybe we're not talking about the same thing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

On the "broken", I was mistakenly thinking of using that same dialog to get transactions off of the manual match list.  That is what was broken.

But I do have a fundamental dislike for this kind of hidden key combinations to do this kind of task.  They should consolidate the "posted dates" and make it visible/editable in the register.
  • Rick Gumpertz
    Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Maybe you should click ME TOO on https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/easter-egg-commands

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I did vote for that Rick, but it isn't really what I want.  I want them to REMOVE the easter egg commands and replace them by commands that are visible to the average person.  Well at least for the "non dangerous" ones.  And for the "dangerous ones" one might contend that they shouldn't document them.

Easter egg commands are usually put in because the developer/support sees a need, but feels that they should be hidden because of some danger or they are restricting them because of some contract, or that they just want to "not support" it.

And I can certainly see where I might do the same.  But when in it gets to a point where they users need that functionality on an ongoing basis the functionality should just be put in.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

"I have no explanation why, but Quicken has seen fit to have two posting date fields".

I don't understand the confusion.

Just like all other "Downloaded ...." fields, the "Downloaded Posting Date" is a permanent recording of what was downloaded.

Also just like many other "Downloaded ... " fields, there are two of each. For example, there is a "Downloaded Payee", whose Quicken payee name can be, and often is, different from the Download Payee name. The only difference is that Quicken has chosen to hide its transaction "Posting Date" - as has been noted elsewhere (many times over the years). It would be better to make the Quicken "Posting Date" field visible in registers, and usable in reports. If Quicken did that, the "Posting Date" would be seen to have the same relationship to the "Downloaded Posting Date", as the "Payee" has to the "Downloaded Payee".

When a transaction is downloaded, the Quicken "Posting date" is made equal to the "Downloaded Posting Date". If that is not what the user wants, the "Posting date" can be manually changed ... but the "Downloaded Posting Date" can not ever be changed. Likewise, the Quicken "Payee" and the "Downloaded Payee".

For years, the Quicken "Posting Date" was used exclusively by Quicken to determine whether a transaction qualified for a Quicken reconcile.

At some more recent point in time, Quicken decided to also use the Quicken transaction date in the logic for determining whether a transaction qualified for a given reconcile. Personally, I think that decision was correct. If the Quicken transaction date is later than the Quicken reconcile statement ending date, Quicken does not include that transaction in the reconcile ... I find it difficult to argue with that logic: a transaction that "occurred" later than the statement ending date, can not logically be present in the statement.

[I believe that there are some users who are post-dating transactions, then finding that those transactions are "posted" ("cleared") prior to their "transaction date", then complaining that those transactions are not included by Quicken in their reconcile.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.