uncleared transactions deleted after download

Dave493
Dave493 Member ✭✭
I've been finding that occasionally after download, my uncleared transactions are being deleted from the register and  and replaced with new ones that need to be accepted. This is a major pain as many are transfers to other accounts and all links are deleted.

Any ideas?

2018 R12.15 Build 27.1.12.15

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It's been my experience with respect to transfer transactions that you cannot rely on Quicken to automagically get transfers created correctly, solely relying on downloaded transaction information.
    For best results record your transfer transactions manually in Quicken BEFORE you download transactions from the bank confirming those transfers. Manually review and accept those downloaded transctions, making sure that they correctly match to the recent transfer transaction and not some previous already matched transfer.
  • Dave493
    Dave493 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I do exactly this just as I have been since the early 90s. I don’t recall ever having transactions deleted until now.

In fact I have also recently had reconciled accounts with zero balance suddenly appear with a balance because some transfer transactions were deleted and/or moved to other accounts.

I use quicken to make my life easier. Now I have to check and double check quicken vs bank websites before every dl.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I do exactly this just as I have been since the early 90s. I don’t recall ever having transactions deleted until now.

In fact I have also recently had reconciled accounts with zero balance suddenly appear with a balance because some transfer transactions were deleted and/or moved to other accounts.

I use quicken to make my life easier. Now I have to check and double check quicken vs bank websites before every dl.

Any ideas?
    I have a few (note they are most wild shots, but some them are recent changes which would line up with what you are saying)

First off if you are using Quicken Mobile, it has certainly been known to do these kinds of things.  Only remedy known is to stop using Quicken Mobile.

Next look at this setting:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer Detection, and make sure it at least is set for you to confirm anything it wants to do.  It is a guessing algorithm based on amount and date.

Next see if your problem falls into this category:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/manually-added-transaction-disappear-after-automatic-download

Next there was a recently introduced bug where if you use QuickFill/memorized payee to change a transaction it will use the information in the memorized payee and override your everything in your downloaded transaction.

It goes like this.
    Say you have a downloaded transaction for Check and an amount of $100.
    You go into the payee and type John which is a memorized payee so that you can get the right name and category, and the memorized payee amount happens to be $50, it will now change the amount to $50, and remove the "cleared status".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Wondering if there's been any progress on this . I've started having this problem after the last quicken mobile update . It took me a while to nail it down but I'm realizing that if I have any transaction on the Quicken cloud that needs to be downloaded, that's when manually entered transactions are deleted and replaced with transactions from my bank! It's weird because it's not even transactions on Quicken mobile that are deleted, it's when I download from my bank . I know that probably doesn't make sense that's why it took me a while to nail it down.

I wasted my time yesterday by calling in to quicken support to try to talk to someone about it. I got a guy, sounded like he was from the US , and he clearly did not want to be there. The only thing he could tell me was I had to start a new file as my current file was apparently damaged. Yeah, I don't buy it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Wondering if there's been any progress on this . I've started having this problem after the last quicken mobile update . It took me a while to nail it down but I'm realizing that if I have any transaction on the Quicken cloud that needs to be downloaded, that's when manually entered transactions are deleted and replaced with transactions from my bank! It's weird because it's not even transactions on Quicken mobile that are deleted, it's when I download from my bank . I know that probably doesn't make sense that's why it took me a while to nail it down.

I wasted my time yesterday by calling in to quicken support to try to talk to someone about it. I got a guy, sounded like he was from the US , and he clearly did not want to be there. The only thing he could tell me was I had to start a new file as my current file was apparently damaged. Yeah, I don't buy it.

I hate say it, but from what I have seen syncing to Quicken Cloud is bound to cause problems sooner or later.  The only "fix" I know of is not to use it.
  • Dave493
    Dave493 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

This solved my problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Has anyone tried it since they've gone to Quicken on the web? I'm wondering if that is any different.
  • Dave493
    Dave493 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I tried again recently with only a few credit card accounts. Every account had every payment transfer transaction reassigned to a different (wrong) account. Even transactions that were reconciled months previous.

I gave up on it. Sigh
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

The way this works is that you are actually syncing between Quicken Desktop and the Quicken Cloud account.  And both of these can download transactions from your financial institutions.

Both the Quicken Mobile app and Quicken Web are "GUIs" looking into the Quicken Cloud account data.

So it isn't likely that there would be any difference in this problem, since it most likely resides in the Quicken Cloud server software or the Quicken Desktop syncing code.

Quicken Web has more features than the Quicken Mobile app, most likely because of a GUI with more screen space to work with, but for the most part they are "the same".

I don't sync to Quicken Cloud in my normal data file because I don't trust it not to corrupt my data file.  I have done limited testing in betas, and had "some success", but not being a long time user, I more trust the reports from the people willing to try it and reporting on here.  I'm sure it works for some people, but at this time I have not seen any "fixes" when problems like this come up.  About the only thing I have ever seen is to reset the cloud data.  And yeah if you reload everything you expect it to be back to that state, but that isn't to say it is a usable system for a person that can't constantly reset the cloud data.  And that is assuming it doesn't damage your data file.  Even backups aren't 100% because it might damage something in your data file that you don't detect for months, and then you have to decide if you want to rebuild from a very old backup, provided you even have one.
This discussion has been closed.