Home Inventory Manager

I finally was able to install Home Inventory Manager on Quicken 2017.  However, I can't figure out how to make it show up under Net Worth.    I had been adding assets such as furniture, vehicle or jewelry but they show up under Net Worth and is very cluttering.  I'm not sure when to use Home Inventory and when to use Add Assets.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I haven't used Home Inventory Manager for years. IIRC, there should be a function to export / sync to Quicken.

In Quicken, there should be a "Home Inventory" account.
    It may be hidden. Use Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts to look for the account. Un-hide it, if necessary.

• Charles HadlockCharles Hadlock Member
    edited August 2018
    I know the Quicken team has its hands full keeping the main program running smoothly, but I would love to see an update to the Home Inventory Manager.  It was once a stand-alone program until, more than a decade ago, it was awkwardly added to the main program -- hidden, really --  in a sub menu.  It's never listed or promoted as a feature.  Maybe that's because it's very dated. (One of the categories is Video Tapes).  I've been reluctant to start using it again because the file format (.qhi) is proprietary and the feature could disappear at any time.  Quicken, please show us you still support Home Inventory Manager.  Thx.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I know the Quicken team has its hands full keeping the main program running smoothly, but I would love to see an update to the Home Inventory Manager.  It was once a stand-alone program until, more than a decade ago, it was awkwardly added to the main program -- hidden, really --  in a sub menu.  It's never listed or promoted as a feature.  Maybe that's because it's very dated. (One of the categories is Video Tapes).  I've been reluctant to start using it again because the file format (.qhi) is proprietary and the feature could disappear at any time.  Quicken, please show us you still support Home Inventory Manager.  Thx.

Moving to standalone Idea post for increased visibility.

Please reference the new conversation here: Home Inventory Manager
  • Gary MorrowGary Morrow Member
    edited October 2018
    I fully support the comments noted in the post.  Inventory manager is greatly out dated.  We would all appreciate any attention that can be given to this issue.
  • kmuptonkmupton Member
    edited August 2018
    I've been a Home Inventory user since I first bought Quicken back in the 90s and find it to be a critical tool for managing my material assets and documenting those assets for estate planning purposes.  But I totally agree with Gary that it's absurdly outdated and desperately needs to be brought into the 21st Century.  It's beyond me why Quicken continues to try and bury this very practical and useful functionality.

That being said, there should be no problem getting your inventory value to show up in net worth reports.  Just click the update button on the Inventory toolbar and it will carry your inventory value over to Quicken.  It will show up under Other Assets in your net worth report.  It will also show up in your dashboard as a Property and Debt account.

And yes, Home Inventory defaults as  a hidden account.  But you can easily place a QHI icon on your toolbar.  Just right click on the toolbar and select Home Inventory from the list.

Hope this helps.
  • kmuptonkmupton Member
    edited September 2018

I fully support the comments noted in the post.  Inventory manager is greatly out dated.  We would all appreciate any attention that can be given to this issue.

I've been a Home Inventory user since I first bought Quicken back in the 90s and find it to be a critical tool for managing my material assets and documenting those assets for estate planning purposes.  But I totally agree with Gary that it's absurdly outdated and desperately needs to be brought into the 21st Century.  It's beyond me why Quicken continues to try and bury this very practical and useful functionality.
  • edited August 2018

I totally agree.
  • RayRay Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've been using Quicken since at least 2008 and currently use 2018 Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property. I discovered that I'd lost my Home Inventory data file after updating computers. I found my data file in my Acronis backups.

In Quicken, clicking "Home Inventory" in my "Property & Debt" accounts installed the stand-alone QHI.EXE program in Program Files (x86). Then replacing the newly created QHI.IDB in my Documents\Quicken folder with my old QHI.IDB restored my inventory. 

As other's have noted, Quicken hasn't made any changes to the QHI. It's the same as in 2010. It's a stand alone program. All it does it transfer its total resale value to the Home Inventory account. If I buy a painting, I have to enter it as an expense in Quicken. Then I have to enter its details in QHI. The Quicken expense is canceled by the QHI asset so that net worth is unchanged. There should be a link between the transactions as there is with all other transfers.

I don't think it is that big a task to correctly implement inventory in Quicken and get rid of the clunky QHI. If I purchase a stock, there's a pop up window for the details. A similar pop up window could be implemented for inventory showing the current QHI item entry screen.
This discussion has been closed.