Accepting deleted transactions?

Mark209
Mark209 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I've tried following the directions on the attached screenshot but cannot find what the directions are referring to. Could someone provide a better navigation?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have a guess at this, but first are you using automatic entry mode for your investment account?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Automatically add to investment transaction lists
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Also, it says "detected transactions" not "deleted transactions".
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neither Auto add to banking transactions or investment transactions are checked off.

Correct on the detected--but doesn't help in figuring out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Mark said:

Neither Auto add to banking transactions or investment transactions are checked off.

Correct on the detected--but doesn't help in figuring out.

OK, so it isn't the exact problem I was thinking about, but I think it might be related.

By any chance is the investment account linked to a cash account?
    If so a similar problem is known to exist for this setup.

The basic problem stems from the different modes that Quicken Windows supports.

For instance when in automatic entry mode is on normally there isn't a Downloaded Transactions tab.  The transactions go right into the register and are reviewed there.  But say Quicken has to "ask a question" for instance it has a "near match".  In this case what happens is it gets stuck in the Downloaded Transactions tab (which is always there even in automatic entry mode, but is hidden).  And since it isn't shown, the transaction seem to vanish.  So in this case a person has to switch out of automatic entry mode to see the Downloaded Transactions tab/transactions in it.

For a linked cash account a similar problem has been introduced.  Normally the linked cash account has the Downloaded Transaction tab hidden.  What is suppose to happen is that when you import into the investment account and there are cash transactions, it should push those transactions to the Downloaded Transactions tab in the cash account and the Downloaded Transactions tab should be made visible.

The "pushing" of the transactions is working, but for whatever reason the Downloaded Transactions tab isn't made visible.

Unlike with the problem with automatic entry mode there isn't any way to toggle the Downloaded Transactions tab to visible in the linked cash account.

So the workaround is just the opposite, you toggle that account (or the global setting for all investment accounts) to automatic entry mode.  And then Quicken will automatically accept the transactions into the linked cash account where you can see them.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Isn't the original screen shot simply Quicken's notice that it wants the user to select lots when selling or removing shares of a multi-lot security?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Isn't the original screen shot simply Quicken's notice that it wants the user to select lots when selling or removing shares of a multi-lot security?

Could it be that Mark just needed to be directed to the Downloaded Transactions tab?

I thought that it must be missing for it to be confusing.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Is the OP trying to use Accept All?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

@RJS:  No.  The provided screenshot is different than the multi-lot sales screenshot you refer to.
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

FWIW, I was accepting all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

So much for me jumping to conclusions without all the facts (my bad).

You should accept each transaction one at a time, and it should prompt you when you get to the transaction that the dialog is talking about.
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I believe it could also qualify as an instance of Occam's razor ;-)

I just accepted 1 at a time. Quicken wanted to know if the lot was to be averaged or handled differently--makes sense.

Except for the fact it's the first time I've run into this condition (apart from the past week or two) since I've been running a mirror (Q '17) of my wife's live, antique version of Q and that's been almost a year?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

The basic criteria on that popup prompt is that 
    a) you need to have more than one lot of that security in that account, AND 
    b) you need to be selling less than the entire holding.  

If your prior sales had been from one-lot holdings or a sale of the entire holding, you would not have seen that prompt before. 

It is illogical that Quicken suggests average cost for anything other than mutual funds or for any security for which the user has not specified average cost to begin with -- but that is the programming.

If the user is okay with a FIFO lot selection, there is no need to go into the lot specification screens.  Click OK (or however it is worded) and the program will use the default FIFO selection.  
This discussion has been closed.