Lifetime Planner Bug and Idea List - Make Yourself Heard!
Lifetime Planner (LTP) seems to be a well neglected feature in Quicken - for years - not updated, not improved, not modernized. I’m not quite sure why so little attention is paid on such an important tool. So many development cycles expended on seemingly “rearranging the deck chairs”, misunderstood or misinterpreted market demands, not to mention fixing the newly created bugs at the expense of improving important features like LTP.
In Quicken today, so much effort is expended on spending and
investment management features, and rightfully so.
A third leg of this stool, however, is retirement planning via Lifetime Planner.
“How are my spending and investment performances, coupled with important
economic and life factors such as taxation, longevity and inflation, impact my
plan and show my readiness for retirement”? Not an easy question to answer, but LTP ties this all together.
I took the time to compile as many Lifetime Planner bug and
idea posts as I could find that had a reasonable amount of discussion and
detail. I’m sure I didn’t get everything
that has been contributed over the last several years. And shockingly, some of these issues do impact plan results
and have stayed broken for years.
Please have a look at the categories and links, below. Like them, vote on them, add to them and make
them better. Feel free to use this thread to add your own ideas and bugs. As you know and expect, if your include very
few details and are vague as to the problem and its solution – how big, how
broken, how widespread, how it helps, et
al – Quicken will not likely take note...Illustrations are always helpful. You may know your pet issue well, but make
it easier for the person who will read and potentially act on it, to understand
The time is well overdue to have a concerted effort to fix
bugs, ensure future maintenance
releases as tax law changes, and make small improvements toward an overall
modern and integrated planner. There are
a lot of retirement planning tools that are as good or better than Lifetime
Planner. Often times, when looking at online reviews from mainstream financial sites, Quicken is not even mentioned as a viable retirement solution.
A change is needed in this area of Quicken. Please vote and contribute.
Make your voice heard!
2018 QW HBR r7.5
The Lifetime Planner bug and idea list:
Tax advantaged accounts
(401k, IRA et al) contribution levels / limits are incorrect since circ. 2007
- BUG: is there a 10,500 tax-defered savings limit? Lifetime
planner seems to revert to 10,500 even when I enter a higher figure. | Quicken
Social Security various
calculation issues related to SS taxation, spouse planning assumptions and spouse
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - Social Security Reduction Assumption
Incorrect | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - does not reflect spouse's Social
Security estimate changes | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: How do I get my spouse's Social Security income to
calculate correctly in the Lifetime Planner? | Quicken Customer Community
related to above link.
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - Social Security Estimates in What-if Tool
are all $0 | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: Social Security after I die Premier 2016 Life Time Planner |
Quicken Customer Community
Required Minimum Deposit
(RMD) calculation issue with divisor that overstate the withdrawal – all links point
to same general issue of RMD modeling going back 3+ years.
- BUG: Lifetime Planner RMD tables in Quicken 2017 | Quicken
- BUG: 2015 lifetime planner RMD percentages wrong | Quicken
- BUG: Does anyone know how the Lifetime Planner calculates the
RMD? | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: How does the Planning feature treat the Required Minimum
Distribution (RMD) | Quicken Customer Community
Debt Reduction Plan Issue –
Expense Adjustments started
and tied to a person after they die:
Scaling issues related to
text and labels in Assumptions and What-If dialog boxes, when using large
Reporting, Printing and Exporting
- BUG: Printing out the results of the lifetime planner | Quicken
- IDEA: Printing out the results of the lifetime planner | Quicken
- IDEA: How can I print each page of the Lifetime Planner with all
data inserted? | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: can you do a report from lifetime planner of all the years
vs just the one | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: How to export the Lifetime Planner's plan. |
Quicken Customer Community
Reset of Lifetime Planner
(Start Over) and ability to save one or more planning scenarios:
- IDEA: How to reset lifetime planner | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: Delete Existing Lifetime Planner | Quicken Customer
- IDEA: How do I save variations of the Lifetime Planner? | Quicken
Adding Lifetime Planner to
Modernization of Lifetime