CUSIP and BONDS

craigcraig Member
edited January 22 in Investing (Windows)
After using one step update, new bonds are added to investment accounts with a CUSIP identification number.  How can I manually add a bond to the security list by CUSIP number?  If I the bond manually there is now way to incorporate the CUSIP number and won't be updated. Sometimes the bond may not even be found.  Also, some bonds undergo name changes, i.e. California Bond changes to California Bond New with unique CUSIP numbers.  Now this really presents an issue. This really creates a problem with 1099-B reporting.  Brokerage houses might report cash in lieu of shares under the old and then under the new CUSIPs. I know how to add the fractional shares and to sell them but I can't sell shares that I cannot enter.

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser
    edited May 2018
    You can manually add the bond, but the CUSIP connection only comes from when that bond is matched to an bond owned in an account you are downloading.  Quicken, through Quicken/Intuit servers, will not update the prices of any bonds - CUSIP or not.  Quicken will only update the bond prices with information coming from your brokerage through the download from that brokerage.  

As for name changes and CUSIP changes, that onus still falls on the back of the brokerage,  I am not sure why such data points would be changing.  To chase them along, you may need to get used to unchecking the box about matched to online security, and then rematching your Quicken security to the 'corrected(?)' brokerage security.  The names associated with the securities do not need to match between Quicken and the brokerage.  
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited January 22
    I don't know if this would work for you, but I usually add a bond security as a stock so I can manually insert the CUSIP, then I change the security type to bond and the CUSIP remains.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser
    edited March 2018

I don't know if this would work for you, but I usually add a bond security as a stock so I can manually insert the CUSIP, then I change the security type to bond and the CUSIP remains.

@Mike:  Are you inserting the CUSIP as the symbol, part of the security name, or something else?
  • Sasha's MomSasha's Mom Member
    edited October 2018

Mike, this may solve the problem I'm having deciding whether to treat bonds with exactly the same names but different cusips as "the same".  If we treat them as a stock, then they are the same, just different issues of the same stock/bond.  Thank you.  Your further thoughts welcome.  Quicken asked whether I wanted to treat them as "the same" or the 2nd cusip "new".  I think by choosing "new" I've complicated my life.