Report Cash in each Brokerage Account

John Burgess
John Burgess Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a way to get a report (or filtered view or something else) that shows the cash balance in each brokerage account, and nothing else?
I have multiple accounts, and just need to know where the cash is.

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Try creating an account balances report. Then customize the securities tab by clearing all of the securities except for the “no security, includes cash”.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't see an "Account Balances" report. when I click "New Report...", the choices are "Comparison", "Summary" and "Transaction".  There is not a pre-defined Account Balance report, either.
    Also, I've never see a "securities tab" either in a report or in the Customization dialog.  Is that perhaps a Windows feature?

PS I'm running QMac 2018, v5.7.2  (Waiting for 5.8.1 after hearing various bad things about the "dot zero".)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    John,

Bob answered for QWin, but since you're using QMac, what he described won't work.

There is a workaround that involves exporting the Portfolio Value display to Excel or Numbers and manipulating it there to derive the report you want. It might be worth doing if you have many accounts. In fact, if you have many accounts and need this often, you could even write an Excel macro to repeat the process rather than having to do it manually.

If you think you want to try the Excel manipulation process, let me know and I'll lay out the steps. (I'm not going to take the time to write it up unless you tell me you're interested.)

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, overlooked it was Mac. Too bad as windows does do what you want.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

John,

Bob answered for QWin, but since you're using QMac, what he described won't work.

There is a workaround that involves exporting the Portfolio Value display to Excel or Numbers and manipulating it there to derive the report you want. It might be worth doing if you have many accounts. In fact, if you have many accounts and need this often, you could even write an Excel macro to repeat the process rather than having to do it manually.

If you think you want to try the Excel manipulation process, let me know and I'll lay out the steps. (I'm not going to take the time to write it up unless you tell me you're interested.)

Thanks, Rick. I’m enough of an excel wiz that I can handle that end of things. The data was going to excel anyway...

OTOH, isn’t there another thread that tracks report features in QWin that are missing in WMac? This should be added or referenced there.
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

John,

Another automation thought... does QMAn support Automator hooks? Then I could in theory automate the whole process.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

John,

You may be thinking of these threads:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/obstacles-and-hindrances-for-migrating-from-qm20...

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/advice-for-testing-qm2017

There is no Quicken support in Automator. There is, however, limited support in AppleScript. I've never been able to get it to do anything useful though. I'd be very interested if you got that to work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.