My Transfers are being assigned a tax line. How can I stop this?

I pay my credit cards as a transfer from my checking account. When I go to the credit card account in quicken, the transfer has been assigned to tax line 2106 Business expense. 

I checked the account settings, and for all accounts, and the Tax schedule is set to blank for transfer in and transfer out on all accounts. 

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The only explanation that I can think of is that you've assigned a Tax Line to the "Transfers In" for the card account. 

Do, TOOLS, Account list and click the Edit button adjacent to the Card account and then click Tax Schedule at the bottom of the "Account Details" box that opened.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Have you looked in the Category List? Tools | Category List.

You may need to turn on the display of the Tax-line Item using the Options to see the assignments.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to check for an erroneous tax-line assignment in the reminder and memorized payee split entry for the transfer.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    @NotACPA.  thank you for the thought. I have already confirmed that all accounts have no tax line assignments for neither transfer in, nor transfer out.

@mshiggins. Yes. I checked that already, and none of the transfers have any tax line assignments.

@Sherlock. I wondered if that might be the case. I could not figure out where to see tax line assignments in the memorized payees. I deleted most of the memorized payees hoping that may solve this issue. However, It is still happening.

It only shows as a tax line item in the credit card account, not the checking account.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@NotACPA.  thank you for the thought. I have already confirmed that all accounts have no tax line assignments for neither transfer in, nor transfer out.

@mshiggins. Yes. I checked that already, and none of the transfers have any tax line assignments.

@Sherlock. I wondered if that might be the case. I could not figure out where to see tax line assignments in the memorized payees. I deleted most of the memorized payees hoping that may solve this issue. However, It is still happening.

It only shows as a tax line item in the credit card account, not the checking account.

OK, then we're mystified.  Can you post an image of what you're seeing?

The Win Snipping Tool, in your Win Accessories folder, works well for this.
    Then, you can post the image in your reply by using the CAMERA (not Movie Camera) icon below.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

No tax line assignment in the checking account

Tax line automatically assigned in the credit card account

All accounts are set with no tax line for transfers in, nor out

Transfer Categories have no tax line assignment.

I would think this is a bug in the program at this point.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

In your 1st graphic, what's that "Form 2016:Other Busine" (cutoff) on the highlighted line of your checking account?

Looks like a Tax line assignment to me.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Have you tried Validating your Q data file?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I tried validating the file, and still having the issue. Every transfer out of my bank is getting tax line assignment, even though I have left it blank .
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I tried validating the file, and still having the issue. Every transfer out of my bank is getting tax line assignment, even though I have left it blank .

If you haven't already, I suggest you try toggling the Transfers out selection for the bank account to try to coerce Quicken into resetting the Tax-line item.  

Alternatively, you could create a new account, move all the transactions from the original account to the new account, reset the appropriate memorized payees and reminders, and delete the original account.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Can you delete that from the transaction? Could it be picking it up from a prior transaction and auto filling it? Would you have put that on a prior one once?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

"I would think this is a bug in the program at this point".

I think you'd need to supply more evidence for that. So far, I believe you're the only person reporting this. I don't see the problem in any "current" version of Quicken (Q2018, Q2017, Q2016).

How are the transfer transactions created (manually entered from scratch, copied from another transfer transaction, entered from a Reminder, entered using a Memorized transaction, downloaded)?

Do you sync your desktop file? Does the mobile app allow the creation of transfer transactions?

[Unless I missed it, you also need to supply your Quicken edition, year, and release.]

While it does not explain how the tax line items got there; you can assign tax line items to individual transactions (the assignment does not have to come from a tax line item assigned to a category in the category list, nor to transfers into/out of an account). Right click a non-investment register transaction and select "Tax line item assignments" - you should also be able to remove an assigned tax line item that way.

[Depending on when the tax line items first appeared in transfers and how many transactions have them, you might be better off reverting to a backup that does not have them.]

In my tests, I found the only way to add a tax line item to a Reminder or a Memorized Transaction was to assign it to a line in a split transaction. But when I did that, the tax line item never made it into any register transaction created using the Reminder or the Memorized Transaction - no doubt due to the fact that after saving the split Reminder or Memorized Transaction with a tax line item, the assigned tax line item disappeared from the Reminder or Memorized Transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.