How to enter a transaction paid by two credit cards

I'm trying to create a transaction which is paid by two different credit cards. My attempt looked like this:

In account for CARD-A, the transaction splits are
  Item    $100.00
  [CARD-B]  $-40.00

This correctly leaves a balance of $60 charges to CARD-A, but the $40 for [CARD-B] is listed as a payment to the card, not a charge to it.

Is there a way to record this correctly? I am using Quicken 2017 for Windows.

Thanks

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What if you reverse the signs on the split amounts?

Like -100

And +40

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I would simply create two independent transactions, one in each credit card account, with no transfer.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Or record it as two separate transactions, one for the amount paid on each card, with "Remainder paid with Card B" or something similar in the Memos.

[Edit: Sorry, RJ Squirrel beat me to it!]
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    The more I think about this, the more I think this is a bug.  As Quicken records the transaction in the OP, I am getting a $100 item for $20. Quicken not only does not record the charge to CARD-B, it reverses it into a payment, making me richer by twice the amount charged to CARD-B. This is wrong.

And, no, it does work any better if I leave the minus sign off.
  • James102
    James102 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Since you had to do two transactions to get the money to the merchant you have to treat the same in Quicken.  One entry for each card in their respective accounts.  Your merchant statement will most likely show two transactions and if you use OSU reconcile will be simple.  Categories for the purchase would be the same for each card entry.  Thus your tracking of Category amounts will be correct.
    Jim Ford, Connecticut
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2020

The more I think about this, the more I think this is a bug.  As Quicken records the transaction in the OP, I am getting a $100 item for $20. Quicken not only does not record the charge to CARD-B, it reverses it into a payment, making me richer by twice the amount charged to CARD-B. This is wrong.

In Q2018 this is recorded correctly, if you really want to do it that way:

Card A has a split, $100 for Jacket or whatever you bought, $-80 transfer to card B

Card B has $80 charge, transfer to card A

I still contend this is the wrong way to enter this, you should make a $20 charge to Card A and $80 to B, with no splits.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2020

Also when you are done entering or editing the split, remember to hit Enter or click on Save to record the transaction.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I tested this in QW2016 and it works correctly.  I started off in "Card A" with a $60 transaction categorized as "Clothing", clicked on split, changed the 60 on the top line to 100 which generated a second -40 line which I categorized as [Discover] (Card B).  Saved it and the Card B balance went up $40 as expected.

Card A transaction:

Card B transaction:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I tested this in QW2016 and it works correctly.  I started off in "Card A" with a $60 transaction categorized as "Clothing", clicked on split, changed the 60 on the top line to 100 which generated a second -40 line which I categorized as [Discover] (Card B.  Saved it and the Card B balance went up $40 as expected.

Card A transaction:

Card B transaction:

Subsequently tested this in QW2017 and it works in it the same as QW2016.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I tried it in Q2017 and it also worked fine.  I used two active cards that I don't currently have a balance on.  After the transaction I have a $60 balance on the card where I created the split transaction and a $40 balance on the other card.

I don't think it is a bug but something with the account or your data file.  Did you try it using another credit card account just to see if the same thing happens?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    pls,
    could I trouble you to show us the same two images that splasher showed, with the transaction and split detail of Card A and the resulting Card B transaction? Be sure to include the Balance column in the image snapshots.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

pls,
    could I trouble you to show us the same two images that splasher showed, with the transaction and split detail of Card A and the resulting Card B transaction? Be sure to include the Balance column in the image snapshots.

Yes how is it listed as a payment on card B? Is it in the Payment column or is the Credit card balance going down instead of up?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    When I entered a new transaction, it look just like the posted pictures. In other word, it was correct. I wondered why the ones I enter before were wrong. After playing around for a while, by accident I discovered what's going on.

The 3 bad transactions all had one thing in common: they had a zero balance in the card account they were entered into. I wanted them listed in that account, een though they weren't actually paid by that card, because they were part of a group of related transactions that I wanted kept together. Apparently, having a zero balance got Q confused about whether the transaction was a charge or a payment and Q decided it was a payment of $0.00. Unfortunately, this changed the interpretation of all of the splits.

I can fix these transactions by doing the following:
      1. Edit the transaction by puttin $1.00 in the Charge column and click Save.
      2. Q will refuse the save, complaining that the transaction amout does not  match the total of the splits and offer to edit the splits  ***It will also change the transaction into a charge.***
      3. When the split editor appears, all the split amounts will be negated and there will be an extra line for the $1.00. Fix the negated split amounts and delete the $1.00 line.
      4. Click Adjust, then Save. And it's all good.

Thank you very much for the help. If it weren't for a couple of things said here I probably would not have figured this out.

Thanks,
        ++PLS
This discussion has been closed.