Is there a way to set the default method for valuing securities when they are sold?

Neil Kane
Neil Kane Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
When selling securities, you can choose which lots are sold (minimum value, maximum value, first in, etc.) but there doesn't seem to be a way to make this a default. I have hundreds of security positions, and every time there's a sale of even one share, I have to manually deal with the screen (which happens to be extremely slow given the size of my data file). There must be a way to set a default, but I cannot find it. Help!! I'm running the very latest version of Quicken on Windows. 

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The default is fixed at FIFO (first in, first out) and cannot be changed:

• Neil Kane
    Neil Kane Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I know what the default is, but I want to know how to modify the default. Not everyone tracks their lots using FIFO (in fact few people do). 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil Kane said:

I know what the default is, but I want to know how to modify the default. Not everyone tracks their lots using FIFO (in fact few people do). 

We can not modify the default.  That is what is meant by fixed and cannot be changed.

This isn't about tracking lots.  This is about default behavior when entering a Sell - Shares Sold transaction.
  • Neil Kane
    Neil Kane Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil Kane said:

Yes, you are correct. Quicken keeps track of lots. I meant to say that when I sell a position, there should be a way to set the default behavior since there's a dialog box that let's you choose (FIFO, LIFO, minimum gain, max gain) but you cannot set the behavior to be persistent--you have to manually choose each time if you want something other than the hardcoded default which is a big pain. Since the capability is already there, this does not seem like a big request for Quicken to accommodate. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil Kane said:

If this is functionality you would like Quicken to consider adding to their product in the future, I suggest you vote for: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/default-lot-identification
  • Neil Kane
    Neil Kane Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil Kane said:

I can't seem to register for that site. I called customer service and they referred me to this site. So I'll have to leave it here. Quicken should make it EASY for customers to give them feedback. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neil Kane said:

That site is this site.  Sounds like your browser is broken.
  • STEVEN WEINBERG
    STEVEN WEINBERG Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    As has been said before here and the post I did two years ago, there should be an option to pick FIFO for a stock account as the default so one could use "Accept All" when a sale goes across many lots. My files are large, and since I reinvest all dividends, the task of "accept" and OK for each sale is a real pain.  What makes it even worst, is Schwab might do my one sale into more than one transaction.  Thus, one sale is more than one "accept" and OK. The developers add many features to Quicken that I suspect are not used by a large number of users. Anyone that tracks stocks would love this feature being added. How do we get this up to the top of their priority list?
  • Neil Kane
    Neil Kane Member ✭✭
    I spoke to customer support yesterday at length. This is a known requirement, but the capability is NOT CURRENTLY IN QUICKEN for Windows despite what some people have said.